Need help finding a 1920 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Need help finding a 1920 Census

Post by Mardi »

Looking for your help again. Back in 2011 I was looking for my Grandparents US Census. And you kind people found several for me (1900, 1920, I also have the 1930 and 1940). I am still looking for the 1910 US Census. Their last name has been misspelled, but somehow you have located.
I am not sure they were in Louisiana or moved to Texas for a short time. I have tried several ways, but failed....so I am asking for your help once again. I appreciate all you have done for me in seeking my family.

Family surname: Calamusa
Father: Joseph/Joe... born- 1867 - Italy
Mother: Mary/Maria...born 1884 - Italy
Children that were living at home in 1910: all born in Louisiana
Caterina - 1900
Giovanna [Jennie] - 1902
Maria [Mary] - 1904
Marchion - 1906

Sincerely,
Mardi
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help finding a 1920 Census

Post by Anizio »

The family tree of "akamos54" on ancestry.com has your family in it.

Giuseppe Calamusa and Maria Trombatore as well as 10 children, the one's you mentioned and others.

Is this your tree? There is also a tree by lindsayxx and others which are private.

Also all the information I can find on the Calamusa name indicates they are from Trapani or Calatafimi Italy. You may be able to find Giuseppe and Maria's birth acts in one of those towns.

The indications seem to be that the child born in 1904 was born in Labadieville, Assumption, Louisiana, USA, and the several after were not born in New Orleans. If you find the 1910 US census, I don't think they will be in New Orleans.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, Mardi, I don't know if I understand well.. you are searching for 1920 census or for 1910 census.. because on the topic title you wrote 1920 census and on the txt ..: 1910..

However possible 1920 census:
Joe Calamunsa

United States Census, 1920

Name: Joe Calamunsa
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: New Orleans Ward 5, Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1868
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1892
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Joe Calamunsa Head M 52 Italy
Mary Calamunsa Wife F 36 Italy
Jean Calamunsa Daughter F 18 Louisiana
Mary Calamunsa Daughter F 15 Louisiana
Vincent Calamunsa Son M 14 Louisiana ( Marchion..)
Charles Calamunsa Son M 9 Louisiana
Annie Calamunsa Daughter F 7 Louisiana
Josie Calamunsa Daughter F 5 Louisiana
Jack Calamunsa Son M 1 Louisiana

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

however.. and in fact... the Census of 1910 is nowhere to be found...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Suanj, Sorry for the confusion, I meant to change the Census year to 1910, in the subject line....I have also looked in finding the 1910 Census and could not find it anywhere. Thank you for trying.
Anizio, thank you also for the information. I have been in contact with The family tree of "akamos54" on ancestry.com and also a tree by lindsayxx, they have the same information and I do. Nothing on 1910 Census.
I appreciate all that you have done.
Mardi
VotM
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help finding a 1920... er, 1910 Census

Post by VotM »

Mardi wrote:Looking for your help again. Back in 2011 I was looking for my Grandparents US Census. And you kind people found several for me (1900, 1920, I also have the 1930 and 1940). I am still looking for the 1910 US Census.
If you have the street address(es) from the 1900 and 1920 census pages, and you don't mind doing a bit of search work, you can skim through parts of the 1910 census manually. Here's how:
  • - Select 1910 at the top level menu, then fill in as much as you can for their address from the 1900 census (i.e., state, county, city, street address). This will give you a list of possible 1910 enumeration districts (ED) in which the address might reside.
  • - Select the census of interest (in your case, the 13th for 1910) and the state of interest (Louisiana). This will bring up a list of links to various areas and blocks of ED's.
  • - In the above list of links, look for a link that contains one or more of the ED's reported by the Unified Census ED Finder. Follow that link.
  • - Select the "full screen" icon (third symbol from right in beige area below first image from microfilm reel). This will bring up a new window.
  • - In the new window, select the icon in the beige bar for viewing one page at a time.
  • - Now comes the hard part... :-)
    • - Pull the hand icon in the beige bar bit by bit to the right and look at the top right of the census image until an ED number of interest appears on it.
    • - Use the left arrow button of the beige bar until you are on page 1A of that ED.
    • - Look at the left hand side of the census image. In the first column the enumerator will have written street names sidewise. The house number will be in the second column on the left.
    • - If necessary, use the right arrow button on the beige bar to go to the next image for that ED. Repeat until you find the address of interest or until you reach the end of the ED.
    • - If necessary, repeat the above for another ED reported by the Unified Census ED Finder
    - If the address you have for the family in 1900 is different from the 1920 address, repeat the above for the 1920 address.
It's tedious, I know, and if your family moved twice between 1900 and 1920 there's no guarantee of finding them. But it's another option to try.

Hope this helps!
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

VotM: Awesome....I will certainly give this a try. I been searching for Grandparents 1910 Census for quite awhile, and this has been the closest lead I have had. Thank you so much.
Mardi
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Census finding by address means knowing the address. It is indeed difficult and tedious. You can search Census by name (much easier and quicker) through Heritage Quest Online. They have all the US census records. Go or call to your local library to see if they have access to it. I can access it at home online using a username and password given to me by my library. In addition to census records, there are also a number of other records available through Heritage Quest Online.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

You can make the search I described above a bit faster in you know the ED for the year in question. FamilySearch provides the ED in its results regardless of the census year. And you can do this regardless of what your local library has access to.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342