Accomando from Santa Margherita, Sciacca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Accomando from Santa Margherita, Sciacca

Post by jecullen3 »

Hi,

I am trying to research my paternal grandmother's family. All I have to go on is the document from 1892 when she came to the US at one year old with my great-grandmother. In this document, it states that Rosa Accomando di Giorgio was born in Santa Margherita, and her passage documents are from Sciacca. In 1892 it states that she was 35. I do not know where my grandmother, Antonina was born - I'm assuming Sciacca but not sure. I do not even have their dates of birth - so finding their birth records are very difficult.

Does anyone have access to the Sciacca or Santa Margherita birth indices? If I could just get their dates of birth it would be most helpful. In addition, I do not know if Rosa was married/widowed or an unwed mother.

I am uploading a copy of the document, in case that helps.

I appreciate any information. Thank you.
Mary Cullen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Accomando from Santa Margherita, Sciacca

Post by liviomoreno »

Records for Santa Margherita are available here: https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043548

I would assume that Rosa Accomando (daughter of Giorgio) and her 2 daughters were born in Santa Margherita

The documented you posted is the Passport
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jecullen3 »

Dear Mr. Moreno,
Thank you for your response. I have looked through the records online for 1890-1891 for Antonina (since she was 1 year old at the time,) but have found nothing. If Rosa were 35 in 1892, that makes her birth year about 1857, and these records don't begin until 1862.

Before I ordered other microfilms from LDS, I was hoping to narrow it down a bit. In addition, I do not know what her maiden name was (If she was married,) so I can find her birth record. I have also looked at the "Publicazione" starting around one year before Antonia was born and could not find the name.

Thank you again for your input. If I cannot find any other information online, I'll order the other LDS films for Santa Margherita.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

What is Rosa's husband's surname? I can't tell from this document what her daughters' surname is. Italian women don't change their name when they marry, but rather are always known by their maiden name. If Antonia and Antonina also had the surname Accomando then either Rosa and her husband had the same surname originally or the children were born out-of-wedlock.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Here's a link to her daughter Antonina's birth record from Santa Margherita (SMB).

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349552002

She was born on 27 Nov 1885 in SMB. Her mother Rosa, who reported the birth, was 27. The father is unidentified, but it says that he was unmarried.

The surname appears to be Accomanno. This would not be unusual, since it is often the case that "nn" and "nd" are interchangeable in Sicilian names (for example, Renda=Renna and Canduscio=Cannuscio).

I searched both SMB and Sciacca births from 1890 to 1892 but didn't find any record for her sister Antonia.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

According to the passport, Antonia was 6 and Antonina was 1, but the birth record from 1885 for the 6 year old has her name as Antonina. Perhaps her name was originally Antonina but then it was changed to Antonia, so Antonina was used for the next girl. Otherwise, one of these records appears to be in error.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Here's your GM's birth record:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349552002

Antonina Accomanno/Arcomanno (the margin says "Arcomanno," but the record is ambiguous) was born on 2 Sep 1889 in SMB. Her unwed mother Rosa, age 30, reported the birth. Once again the unmarried father did not show up for the birth registration and did not affirm paternity.
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jecullen3 »

Thank you so much for the information! I had seen these records but - as you can imagine - I was very confused by them. I didn't want to fall into the trap of just "assuming" they were the ones I was looking for. I did not know that "nn" and "nd" were interchangeable. I was already thinking - based on the research of my paternal grandfather - that she was an unwed mother since her last name and her childrens' last names were the same. I do find it very odd that she named them so similarly/identically!

Thanks again for the helpful information. I plan to order the earlier birth records from LDS to see if I can locate Rosa's birth information next, since the online ones only begin with 1862.

Mary