Zabbia Tortoreci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cgotwo01

Zabbia Tortoreci

Post by cgotwo01 »

Hello,
Looking for any leads on my ancestors. Trying to track them down to a specific city in Italy. I have a marriage license that states that the parents of Giovanna Tortorecio Sapone were named Girolamo Tortorecio and Gioacchina Zabbia. I cannot find any Italian records linking them together. If anyone has suggestions, I would be most grateful for the help.
Ciao a tutti!
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Zabbia Tortoreci

Post by carubia »

Girolamo's name appears to be Tortorici, a western Sicilian name found in a lot of cities, Ribera in particular. Zabbia is more uncommon, being currently found mainly in Palermo and Corleone, which means in the 19th century it may have been only in Corleone. I would try that city first since Tortorici is also found there. Sapone is an eastern Sicilian name from Messina or Catania, but I have seen the name Zabone (or Zabbone) in 19th-c. records in Agrigento province.

BTW, in what city did that marriage take place, and when?
cgotwo01

Post by cgotwo01 »

Thank you for the information. The marriage license that lists the above mentioned relatives is actually a NYC license for GIovanna Tortorecio Sapone (widow) to marry Guiseppe Santucci. The license lists Giovanna's parents as Zabbia and Tortoreci. I have ordered the official copy, and am waiting to receive it. I am hoping it lists the city of birth in Italy. In the meantime, I have been trying to find an Italian record linking Zabbia and Tortoreci, but haven't had luck yet. Giovanna had previously been married to Francesco Sapone, a marriage that I believe occurred in NYC, but I haven't found that documentation yet either.

Thanks again for your assistance! I will keep on searching...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found this record, the name's spelling is a bit wrong, but it is abt your ancestor:

Giovannina Tortrici Safone

mentioned in the record of Giuseppe Santucci and Giovannina Tortrici Safone

Name: Giuseppe Santucci
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 30 Jan 1924
Event Place: Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Birth Year (Estimated): 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Name: Alfonso
Mother's Name: Rosa Arsetti
Spouse's Name: Giovannina Tortrici Safone
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age: 32
Spouse's Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse's Race: White
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1892
Spouse's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Father's Name: Girolana Tortrici
Spouse's Mother's Name: Groacchun Zaffia

Reference ID: cn 2138 , GS Film Number: 1643076
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:247M-TFV
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe right name spelling of her parents:
Girolamo TORTORICI
Gioacchina ZAPPIA

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Girolamo Tortorici and Gioacchina Zabbia
1872 July 14th in the the town of Corleone church of San Martino appeared Girolamo Tortorici son of Blasio Tortorici and Liboria Campagna married to Gioacchina Zabbia daughter of Leolucca Zabbia and Angela Mannara

PG LINK RECORD RIGHT SIDE TOP
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351107101

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Great work as usual, Marty!

According to the record, Gioacchina's parents are Leoluca Zabbia and Angela Mannina. There was an Angela Mannina born in Corleone in 1835, another one born in 1836, and an Arcangela Mannina born in 1828.
cgotwo01

Post by cgotwo01 »

Wow this is wonderful! Thank you so much! I am able to read in Italian, but would never have been able to translate that marriage record. You guys are amazing. I can't wait to dig in deeper and find more connections! Thank you!
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Leoluca Zabbia married to Angela Mannina is related to my wife's family. I have several generations of Zabbia ancestors for Leoluca Zabbia on my tree on Ancestry,com. In addition to Gioacchina (I do not have any marriages or children for her, they had a son, Michaelangelo Zabbia who married Bernardo Gennaro and they had five children that I know of. I have some of their marriages and their descendants. Let's collaborate on what we have. Please contact me at rpu9@aol.com. My name is Ron Puma. Please let me know if you have a family tree on ancestry.com.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Leoluca Zabbia married to Angela Mannina is related to my wife's family. I have several generations of Zabbia ancestors for Leoluca Zabbia on my tree on Ancestry,com. In addition to Gioacchina (I do not have any marriages or children for her, they had a son, Michaelangelo Zabbia who married Bernardo Gennaro and they had five children that I know of. I have some of their marriages and their descendants. Let's collaborate on what we have. Please contact me at rpu9@aol.com. My name is Ron Puma. Please let me know if you have a family tree on ancestry.com.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Error message caused the double response. Leoluca, under closer observation had two wives, the second one being Angela with whom he had a child Giuseppe. The first wife, Gaetana Moschetta had the children Michealangelo and Giocchina Zabbia. gioachinna died the day she was born in 1850 and the mother died three days later. Angela had a child Giuseppe. Now I need to find a record for the other child - Gioacchina. Our families are still linked by that married couple, I just don't have the records on the second Gioachina. Do you have that birth record?
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Suanj, I found another marriage record for the same people as you apparently, but with slightly different spellings of some names one month earlier, but it is obvious they are the same people. Maybe one was a civil wedding and one was a church wedding:

Gioacchina Zabbia
mentioned in the record of Giuseppe Santucci and Giovanna Turtodeci Sapone
Name: Gioacchina Zabbia
Husband: Girolamo Tortoreci
Daughter: Giovanna Turtodeci Sapone
Other information in the record of Giuseppe Santucci and Giovanna Turtodeci Sapone
from New York, New York City Marriage Records
Name: Giuseppe Santucci
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 03 Dec 1923
Event Place: Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Birth Year (Estimated): 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Name: Alfonso
Mother's Name: Rosa Cassella
Spouse's Name: Giovanna Turtodeci Sapone
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age: 39
Spouse's Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse's Race: White
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1884
Spouse's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Father's Name: Girolamo Tortoreci
Spouse's Mother's Name: Gioacchina Zabbia
Reference ID: cn 655 , GS Film Number: 1643074
Attach to Family Tree
No image available
New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1866-1938
Search collection
About this collection
Citing this Record
"New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1866-1938," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:247M-Z12 : accessed 6 April 2015), Gioacchina Zabbia in entry for Giuseppe Santucci and Giovanna Turtodeci Sapone, 03 Dec 1923; citing Marriage, Manhattan, New York, New York, United States, New York City Municipal Archives, New York; FHL microfilm .
cgotwo01

Post by cgotwo01 »

Ciao a tutti,
I have ordered both marriage records of Guiseppe Santucci and Giovanna Tortoreci Sapone. I am hoping that the records will have more information on them to confirm that they are about the same couple so I can confirm if Giovanna Tortoreci Sapone is indeed my great grandmother, "Jenny Sapone". The last thing I want to do is bark up the wrong family tree. I know that Jenny was married to Frank Sapone, but none of the census records that I have (1915, 1930, 1940) have Frank listed. I found a marriage record for Jenny's daughter, Marie Sapone and possibly her son Jimmy (assuming he might be Vincenzo Sapone). This record was the first time I saw her name as Giovanna Tororeci Sapone. Searching this name brought up the marriage records of Giovanna Tortoreci Sapone and Giuseppe Santucci. This second marriage was a complete surprise and that is why I hesitate without being able to confirm it through the records. I would like to find out if the Santucci/Sapone union didn't work, if he died, or if they divorced. Otherwise, I don't see how this can be my Jenny Sapone when she was listed as widowed on the 1930 census. I also found a NYC directory from 1933 listing Jenny Sapony, widow of Frank, living with Jas Sapone (James?). I haven't found mention of Guiseppe Santucci in connection with my Jenny other than the marriage record.
That being said, I do have a family tree on ancestry called "The Sapone Family Tree". It does not have much information on Leoluca Zabbia as I have only recently found his name in connection with my family. Searching for his name on Ancestry brought up a lot of hints, and I wonder if they are from your family tree. I would be very happy to collaborate on our family information, but I imagine that you hold the lion's share at this point. I do not have a birth certificate for GIoacchina Tortorici yet, but I plan to read through the Corleone records to try to find it.
My email address is cgotwols@comcast.net if you would like to compare notes. Thank you so much for the information you have provided. I will share the marriage records with you when I receive them in a few weeks.
cgotwo01

Post by cgotwo01 »

Ok, I think I have just found additional confirmation linking my Jenny Tortoreci to the Zabbia's. I found a 1910 census with Angelina Zabbia (who I think is Guiseppe Zabbia's wife) living with her father and his grandchildren along with Jenny Tortorigi who is listed as a lodger with the family.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Angelina Zabbia is the wife of Vincenzo Bartolotta and the daughter of Giuseppe Zabbia who was married to Angela La Torre. I have a 1910 census on Vincenzo Bartolotta and family in Manhattan (lines 11-19). They listed his wife by her maiden name Zabbia and left out Angelina, These types of errors are common on census due to language problems and spelling by "sound" of the name. It's the right census for our family because we know all the children and their ages, including my wife's mother. Here's the image - photo quality is poor:

http://postimg.org/image/z3rc7jzgh/