need birth record from Sicily pre 1900

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

need birth record from Sicily pre 1900

Post by sisINlaw58 »

I have an ancestor born in Caltanisetta Sicily to Salvatore Mongiovi and wife Anna (nee Lombardo)Mongiovi named Giuseppe Mongiovi. Salvatore and wife Anna were born in the mid to late 1870's in Sicily. A sister of Giuseppe was born 1895 +/- and he was older.
Wondering if he stayed in Sicily?? Need to track him down but need birth record first.
How do I do this? Where do I search? (Ancestry.com & FamilySearch.com do not have him listed)
carubia
Master
Master

Re: need birth record from Sicily pre 1900

Post by carubia »

As I said on the other thread, I searched for Giuseppe Mongiovi's birth in Mussomeli from 1870 to 1880 without success. It sounds like he may actually have been born after 1880. Or was he really from the city of Caltanissetta and not Mussomeli?

Civil records for Caltanissetta are here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... Fwaypoints

and here:
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... /waypoints
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Cecilia and Vincenza Mongiovi twins
INDEX#299
1897 Dec 27th in the town of Mussomeli in a house on via San Domenico birth of Cecilia and Vincenza Mongiovi twins daughters of Salvatore Mongiovi age 24 farmer and his wife Anna Lombardo age 22 farmer

PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245521501

Marriage of Salvatore Mongiovi and Anna Lombardo
Index#23
1897 April 26th in the town of Mussomeli marriage of Salvatore Mongiovi age 23 farmer born in Mussomeli son of Giuseppe Mongiovi and deceased Cecilia Vullo married to Anna Lombardo age 22 farmer born in Mussomeli daughter of deceased Salvatore Lombardo and deceased Giuseppa Consiglio

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244333601

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Marty -
WOW! Grazie! No known twin to Vincenza but perhaps it wasn't talked about. Perhaps the twin died?? Or could be different Salvatore & Anna but will look at the links you provided. So happy with this potential actual true family result.
I sincerely appreciate your work and assistance!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth of Anna Lombardo
Index#377
1874 Dec 5th in the town of Mussomeli birth of Anna Lombardo daughter of Salvatore Lombardo age 24 farmer (son of Francesco) and his wife Giuseppa Consiglio age 29 (daughter of Lorenzo)
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245032901

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth of Salvadore Mongiovi
Index#294
1873 Nov 11th in the town of Mussomeli birth of Salvadore Mongiovi son of Giuseppe Mongiovi age 29 (son of deceased Raffaele Mongiovi) from a union with a woman who chose not to be named

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245032901

Marty

Marty
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Marty,
Non parlo Italiano. I looked this phrase up on internet; che Dio benedica lei e le sue bunoe azionoi
(hope that is correct for Gold Bless You and your help/assistance)
Grazie, Grazie!
That record for Salvatore you found is my definitely my ancestor! So the others must be my ancestors a well due to record on Salvatore! Grazie, Grazie!
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Marty,
The name of Giuseppa Consiglio (mother to Anna Lombardo) and Giuseppe Mongiovi (father to Salvatore) explains the son being named Giuseppe who I thought was older than Vincenza but she was born same year parents got married so Giuseppe must be younger than Vincenza.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth of Giuseppe Mongiovi
Index#213
1900 June 27th in the town of Mussomeli in a house on via San Domenico birth of Giuseppe Mongiovi son of Salvatore Mongiovi age 27 farmer and his wife Anna Lombardo age 24 farmer
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245521501

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You are very welcome!
With the info Carubia gave you for familysearch you can most likely find more info on your family going through the death records of Mussomeli

In searching Italian civil records you have birth(nati) death(morte) marriage (matrimoni) by year most go from 1866-1910 some towns have other years. Indexes are found at the beginning or end of the year you are searching by index number and surname.There are also multi year indexes which combine 5 or 10 years of indexes
Babies are born then presented to the civil official of the town usually within a few days of birth for entry in the birth registry. If there is a problem and they cant register the birth act until much later they are entered in the Parte 2 for that year usually in the rear of the records and that record is usually handwritten. Sometimes there are sidenotes with marriage or death information or if the act has a mistake in it a correction to those mistakes
Death records have age parents if they were married and to whom and usually town of birth
Civil records are signed by the civil official and 2 witnesses not usually family members
The indexes for the churches in Italy of baptism and marriage and death are arranged by first name first (later years last name first) by year and date of the act and page and record number. Just find your person in the index and go back to the records to find the act you

Marty

Marty
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Giuseppe Mongiovi and Cecilia Vullo were listed as unmarried on Vincenza's birth record in 1870. In 1873 when Giuseppe reported the birth of Salvatore the mother wasn't listed because she didn't show up and they weren't married. In 1877 when they had a stillbirth, Giuseppe and Cecilia were listed as married, so they must've married between 1873 and 1877. The marriage record will give you their parents' names, pretty accurate ages, and places of birth.
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Carubia,
WOW! Thanks so very, very much. This is all a relief to me and my headache. I wish I spoke or could read Italian better. I can figure out some words.
Grazie!