Family name Starace - Vico Equense

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lolalawrence

Family name Starace - Vico Equense

Post by lolalawrence »

This is my first search for my grandmother's family. She was born in Vico Equense around 1881 and immigrated to NYC with her 2 sisters and 3 brothers, and parents (Gerimiah Starace) in the late 1800's.
The Starace family home was supposedly across from or near the railway station in Vico Equense.
I visited a cousin whose last name was Oliva in 1987 but lost track of them.
Would like to get any information that pertains to my family.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Family name Starace - Vico Equense

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website :D If you can give a little more info like where she lived in the states and was she married and to whom? Do you have a ship manifest? There are plently good people on here to help in researching.........

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Is this her fathers passport record
germia.jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great find, Marty! :-)

Possible manifest (using info in above record provided by Marty)

Arriving 1898 on SS Bolivia
Geremia Starace, with daughter Rachele, and son Raffaele, from Vico Esquense
Going to brother-in-law Pasquale Marrone...

Click the image below to enlarge - and again to magnify!
Lines 19, 20, 21

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This manifest for Geremia Starace in 1903 identifies his wife as Elisabetta Marrone... E 11th St. NYC
Line 11

Another manifest in 1905...bringing son Ciro from Italy
Going to wife/mother Elisabetta Marrone, E 11th St. NYC

Lines 21, 22

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

lolalawrence wrote:This is my first search for my grandmother's family. She was born in Vico Equense around 1881 and immigrated to NYC with her 2 sisters and 3 brothers, and parents (Gerimiah Starace) in the late 1800's.
The Starace family home was supposedly across from or near the railway station in Vico Equense.
I visited a cousin whose last name was Oliva in 1987 but lost track of them.
Would like to get any information that pertains to my family.

There are 4 listings for "Oliva" in Vico Esquense in the Italian Phone Book
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &om=0&td=2
Maybe one is a relative??? :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:
There are 4 listings for "Oliva" in Vico Esquense in the Italian Phone Book
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &om=0&td=2
Maybe one is a relative??? :-)

T.

MY APOLOGIES!!! :oops: My finger keeps typing an extra "s" into the name of the Comune... The correct spelling, of course, is Vico Equense...

T.
lolalawrence

Post by lolalawrence »

Thank you. Yes, that is the correct family on the ship manifest.
Gerimiah Starace owned property in Vico Equense. There was ample land for a small farm. It may have been near a slaughter house or train station. From what I heard, the house was given to the local Catholic church in the 1950's, by my great uncle Charles Starace. I would love to locate this home since many of my cousins and I would like to see the actual Starace Family home where our grandmother was born. I have found an very old picture of it but there is no mention of the exact location.
My grandmother Rachel lived for many years in NYC and married James Henry de Girolamo with who she had 9 children. He was a language professor at NYU and also was a translator for Fiorello La Guardia.They moved to West Orange, NJ.
My grandfather's biological father was said to be Baron Tentalo and his mother Eugenia Page. I am very interested in this part of the family history as well but it will take a lot of research since he did not have any records of his biological family.
Drica8

Post by Drica8 »

Hello, my name is Adriana, I live in Brazil and I'm "building" my genealogic tree. My family comes from Italy, they are from Castellammare di Stabia, and their relatives are Starace. The grandmother of my mother are Concetta Starace Petrelluzzi, daugther of Francesco e Rosa Starace. Concetta Starace Petrelluzzi had a sister named Costanza, she was a founder of a "suore compassioniste serve di maria". She had 3 brothers: Michele, Catello and Antonio. Is this names knowledges for you?
Thanks
lolalawrence

Post by lolalawrence »

All of the replies to my original post were helpful but I am still seeking information about the Starace family when they lived in Vico Equense. I know that my great grandfather, Geremiah Starace, dies and was buried in Vico. I remember the church and cemetary were on a hill and surrounded by a stone wall. The family home was given to the Sisters of the Poor in the 1950-60's. It was on a hillside and had olive trees, lemon trees, grape arbors. Geremiah Starace was a mason/builder. He was married to Elisabetta Marrone. His father was Jacob Starace, a sea captain.
I would greatly appreciate any information to help me in my family research.
Thank you, Lola Lawrence
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lola in pursuit of your research objectives for your family in and around Vico Equense in the Sorrento peninsula.There are 4 books specifically dealing with that area of Sorrento which may contain references to your family. Of the 4 there is one book about the History of Sorrento (Napoli 1841-1844 written by Gennaro Maldacea. The remaining 3 books involve legends, archeology and traditons in the Sorrento area. However,there is an antiquarian book dealer in Napoli at info@campanialibri.com who you may wish to contact about the Baron, the Starace family nor Vico Equense none of whom are listed in my indices or catalogues. Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Are you sure Jeremiah Starace died in Vico Equense
Jeremiah Starace
United States Census, 1920
Name: Jeremiah Starace
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: Manhattan Assembly District 1, New York, New York, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1857
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1887
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Jeremiah Starace Head M 63 Italy
Elizabeth Starace Wife F 63 Italy
Charles Starace Son M 27 Italy
Vincent Starace Son M 22 Italy
Frank Sketteni Son-in-law M 26 Italy
Anna Sketteni Daughter F 24 Italy
Anna Sketteni Jr. Granddaughter F 0 New York

Marty

Marty
JoeGSF

Post by JoeGSF »

Hi,

I've been building my tree these last several months and am now trying to go a step further. Both great-great grandparents on my paternal side (My great grandfather and his wife) were from Vico Equense. Quite an interesting surprise since nobody ever knew until 2 months ago. The trail has gone cold for me and not speaking Italian, it makes it even a bit more of a challenge. Any help is most appreciated. What I now know is that Raffael Guido (b ~1835) married Rosa Volpe (b ~ 1837?) and had my great grandfather, Vincenzo Guido (1855-1923). Vincenzo was born in Vico and moved to NY in 1875. In Vico Equense, he married Candita Starace who was the child of Raphael Starace and Barbara/Barbaro Vanacore. I assume they were both born ~ 1840 or so. So that's it. I would love to figure out more of the trail in Italy so any thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello JoeGSF - welcome to the forum! :-)

According to the Passport application and Naturalization application I located for Vincenzo Guido... he arrived in 1884, not 1875. And yes, he lists his place of birth as Vico Equense. In fact, his first child was born in Italy in 1882 (see naturalization application)
The passport application has a photo of Vincenzo :D on page 2

Click to enlarge each image
Passport Pge 1 (right side)
page2 (left side with photo at bottom)

Naturalization application...

You may write to request birth record for Vincenzo, and his marriage record.

Ufficio Anagrafe - Stato civile
Corso Filangieri, 98
80069 Vico Equense
Italy

Tel +39 081 8019228 - +39 081 8019227 - +39 081 8019229

E-Mail: 2settore.vicoequense @ asmecert.it

T.
JoeGSF

Post by JoeGSF »

WOW Tessa thank you so much! That is incredible. To see a picture just blows me away. I(I assume he is the guy on the second page and wonder who the one is on the first)
Should I assume that if I email them it should be in Italian or English is ok? I do business in Italy and largely use English, but at a government level I get that might be a challenge.

Would it be an imposition to ask if you came across anything similar for Candita? I have census records and her death certificate but not anything as detailed as this. I would love to be able to get info on her parents and his and will endeavor to try and figure this out.

No one told me how consuming (and fun) this can be....
Thanks again
Joe