San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria (Palermo)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria (Palermo)

Post by jecullen3 »

I believe I have reached the point where my research requires the use of church records from Palermo.

Reading my Great, great grandfather's baptismal record from 1811, it would appear the priest who baptized him was from San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria in Palermo. (Only very old - 1491-1571 records are on the LDS web site) All of the civil records I have found are from Sant'Agata section of Palermo.

How do I research beyond this point? Since I have no actual dates of birth or marriage for the previous generation, have I reached the point where I would have to hire someone to gather dates and copies of documents for me? Or is there another source I can use to continue my own researching.

Thank you for your input,
Mary
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: San Nicola di Bari-Albergheria (Palermo)

Post by adelfio »

If the records are from the Sant'Agata section of Palermo. They most likely are in the church of Santa Maria della Pietà Church Archive originally they were in the church of San Nicola di Kalsa but they were moved after a earthquake in the early 1800's

PARROCCHIA S. MARIA DELLA PIETA'
Via Torremuzza
90133 Palermo (PA)
Italia

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jecullen3 »

Marty,

I didn't realize there was more than one San Nicola. It's so helpful that you and many others on this site are so knowledgeable. Still not sure how to proceed since I have no dates - would this be the area Marcello covers for genealogical research? I may have to ask him to do a little digging for me.

Thanks again,
Mary
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Yes Marcello has gotten me records from Santa Maria della Pietà Church he is very good and uses paypal the records are very clean

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
antonbirth.jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jecullen3 »

Marty,

Great! Thank you for your input. It's so helpful. I'm still waiting for one more LDS record for my GG grandfather - from his first marriage. Hoping it will give a bit more data about his parents - at least ages at the time - to narrow down the search. Then I'll proceed with Marcello.

If I may - may I ask one more question? My paternal grandmother was the daughter of an unwed mother. How does one document that properly in a family tree? - the father did not recognize the birth and the mother (my g-grandmother) came to the US with her two daughters. So she never married him, nor did he recognize his paternity.

Thanks again for all the help.
Mary