Origin of LaBasco Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tlabasco

Origin of LaBasco Surname

Post by tlabasco »

My last name is spelled LaBasco. I'm attempting to look for the location in Italy from which it originates. The actual spelling could be La Basco, or there is a good possibility it has a lower case "b", Labasco. My current search indicates that the suffix, "asco", is from the Piemonte or Liguria areas. I found many cities ending in "asco" in that area of Italy. There is also a possibility it is from the Basque region given I have seen the name spelled "LaBasco", "LoBasco", and "LeBasco" (Italian, Spanish, and French versions?) and Basco is Italian for Basque. Finally, it could have something to do with a beret. I just don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Origin of LaBasco Surname

Post by suanj »

most probably the right surname was and is: Lobosco (popular in Potenza and Salerno areas especially)
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Origin of LaBasco Surname

Post by PippoM »

If you are in the USA, and you know the name of your ancestor who went there (and, better, when, he did) maybe we can find his manifest of arrival, and his original surname.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.