re:portale della storia degli italiani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re:portale della storia degli italiani

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

is anyone out there familiar with this new database? it contains records from the state archives in avellino-but appears to cover only birth records.i see no option to search for marriages or deaths-and even if this were possible just what are the options once /if possible information is found? it doesnt appear you can go to the original record.if anyone can clarify just how this site works let me know.it would help in my research as lds hasn't digitized much of anything for the province of avellino and i'm well past the point of accessing films through them.no longer cost effective or convenient.i did all that 15 years ago.need something new.an online database for this area is long overdue.thanks
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: re:portale della storia degli italiani

Post by adelfio »

Its leva military records of the towns of Avellino province which are cataloged by birth year
classe di nascita which list parents and the month and day and year of birth sometimes the actual leva record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks marty.i thought it was birth,marriage,and death records.i already have my paternal grandfather's military records.he was 18 in 1888(b.1870) and actually served up to 1904 according to the record,but as he immigrated to new york in 1900 and to my knowledge never returned,no idea how he worked that.whats odd is that entering his name and birth information should have registered a record,and it didnt,although i have the actual record sent to me years ago by the state archive in avellino.i wrote to palermo for a possible military record for francesco landino(my paternal grandmothers "adoptive" father)and i'm waiting for a response.according to the information i found he may have been registered,even though he was born in 1851,a few years before registration became compulsory(men born in or after 1855).but we'll see.all i really need in avellino is a death record for my 2nd great grandmother rosa martino(my paternal grandfathers paternal grandmother)who died in avellino,most likely in luogosano,his birthplace,ca.1862-1865.but those years are missing in the civil registers for luogosano,which is why i was hoping there was a searcheable database for deaths for the whole province.possibly she died in another comune but not likely.thanks for the update.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

whats odd about this database is that if its a registri di leva(military)database,why are womens name found as well?were women conscripted into the military as well?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

According to the description in "Fondi archivistici", it contains BMD as well as military records.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i was told that it was only for registri di leva.and if it were for bmd would it cover all comunes in the province?my paternal grandfather,antonio ricca,was born in luogosano on 10/12/1870.i have the record.but i couldnt find it in this database.i'm specifically looking for a death record for rosa martino-my grandfathers paternal grandmother-who died between 1849 and 1884,most likely in luogosano or a nearby comune.nothing.so i'm a bit curious about just what comunes and records this database does cover.if it covered everthing that would be great as i no longer deal with the lds films and virtually nothing has been digitized for the comunes in avellino at lds.i'm registered but when i try to do a detailed search and use my log in info.i'm refused.no way to get any help resolving this as theres no contact information/help option available.no idea whats going on with that.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

On the homepage of the site there's the email address of site administrator.
You might try write and ask what towns are included.
However, I think (but this is only my opinion) this project is substantially stopped, as the Ministero has now a form of collaboration with FS for indexing ogf records.

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

On the homepage of the site there's the email address of site administrator.
You might try write and ask what towns are included.
However, I think (but this is only my opinion) this project is substantially stopped, as the Ministero has now a form of collaboration with FS for record indexing.

mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

in an email i recieved after registration i responded with several questions regarding the site options-but as i cant understand italian it was hard to decipher.i saw no actual contact info on the homepage otherwise.what is fs? i just wish lds would digitize these avellino civil records-long overdue.a few were digitized over a year ago,but none of the comunes i'm researching.and as i noted,i no longer take out films from lds.several reasons for this,with rising costs being number one.did that 10-15 years ago but things were different then.long overdue for a searcheable digitized provincial database with all the italian archives.theres one for the province of quebec which i used to research my maternal ancestry.its called the drouin film project and covers all bmd from the founding of the colony ca.1620 and goes up to 1940 or so-over 300 years of information in a name searcheable database.available at ancestry.com.covers a much larger time period than any italian database,which if they do exist only cover the period from the early 1800s(1809 in mainland italy and 1820 in sicily)to the very early 1900s-barely 100 years.thats what is needed in italian genealogy.but unlike the french canadians,who understand the value and importance of making these records available with relative ease,the italian archives and municipalties appear more concerned with licensing agreements and money regarding their availability-either with lds or any organization willing to help make these records available to the public.demonstrates the committment differences between these two groups.one organized and decicated,the other in a constant state of disagreement and confusion over money and licensing rights.can't seem to agree on anything in order to make this information available for the common good of researchers.