Tursi Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Tursi Records

Post by rjmichaels »

Hello,

I am hoping to find someone who is doing research in Tursi. I believe my great great grandfather's second wife, Filomena Mango, may have been born there (based on an 1899 manifest). She was born 8 May 1863 (the oldest records seem to indicate ~1855) to Giuseppe Mango and Maria Mazzo (I doubt this is the surname as I've never seen it before). The online records begin in 1901, by which time she would have already emigrated. American records give her first husband's name as Luigi Garlo and a death date in 1891.

My local FHC has films but, due to very limited hours there, and lack of copying capabilities, I was hoping that there was someone out there who has access to these records that could verify whether this is her or not.

Sincerely,
Ray
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Tursi Records

Post by rjmichaels »

For whatever reason, the microfilmed records prior to 1901 consist only of pubblicazioni, processetti, diversi, and allegati.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

There are Matera Province microfilms which include the town of Tursi. Unfortunately there are some 220 rolls of microfilm. If you know, for example, that the birth date of May 8, 1863 is the correct date, then you would order the following microfilm to get the birth record.

Nati 1863, Pisticci - Tursi Nati 1864 Bollita - Tursi Nati 1865 Accettura - Cirigliano
Family History Library
International Film #1659705

This film has births for Tursi but only for the years 1863 and 1864.

Erudita
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, I have found her in very few American records. She married her second and third husbands in America and was older than both of them so her age greatly varies from record to record (of which there are very few).

I've never seen films grouped like that. "The cities appear in alphabetical order." This is the first I've come across records being microfilmed in this manner.

No wonder a search for Tursi only yields this:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Based on how these records were filmed, I wonder if it would be easiest to search for her first marriage. The birth films are only a year at a time but the marriage films appear to each have a couple years' worth of records. I have only found one record that named her first husband - her marriage to her second husband, giving his name as Luigi Garlo with a date of death in 1891.

Thanks again!
Ray
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The Matera province microfilms, whether for birth or death, are usually one or two years on a particular roll of film. For marriage, you may get a wider range of years. They are the actual marriage records and not publications or the processetti. Yes, the cities in the province are in alphabetical order on the films. What marriage year(s) are you thinking?

Erudita
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

The earliest records I've found for her give a birth of circa 1855 so I may start in the mid-1870s looking for her. Of course, I could also probably start by looking for her first husband's death in 1891 (I have the date from her second marriage in Pennsylvania but I've found those dates do not always match).

This woman is a bit of a mystery in my family. My married my great great grandfather in 1920 in Youngstown, Ohio and then disappears. No one in the family had ever even heard of her. I spoke with many of the grandchildren (now deceased) who were children when the marriage occurred and none of them had ever heard of her. I believe I found a death record for her in 1927 in Allegheny County, PA but the record gives minimal information. I am currently waiting to hear back from a Diocese Archives to see if any church records exist from New Castle, PA that might shed more light on her.

Ray
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

First of all, I think Filomena's mother's surname could Mazzei, which is a surname found in Tursi. but you would need her birth record from the town to confirm this. I see that on her 1900 marriage record to Joe Agostino that her date of birth is given as May 8, 1854 and that the date of her first husband's death was May 13, 1891. Do you know the name of the first husband? If he was from another town, then it's possible there is a marriage publication for that marriage online in the other town, as the banns would have been posted in both the groom's town and in the town of the bride. I also believe she is Filomena Augstine on the 1900 census which shows her birth as March 1850. I know that U.S. records often have incorrect info with regard to such dates, so I understand your dilemma. What was the name of your great great grandfather, as I can't try to help you further research her without that married surname.
Erudita
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Filomena's first husband's name is given as "Louis Garlo." Before marrying Giuseppe D'Agostino (his surname has numerous variants) in New Castle, PA, they first applied for a marriage license in Youngstown, OH, but did not marry then and instead got another marriage license in New Castle. The Youngstown license gives the husband's name (Louis Garlo).

My great great grandfather was Rosario Tomaino (1864-1929). Other than their marriage record, there are no other documents in which they are named together.

Thank you for your help!
Ray
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

It appears that Filomena's first husband was Luigi Gallo. Here is a marriage record for their daughter who was born in Italy in 1883. The marriage took place in Ohio.

Eleoma Gallo
mentioned in the record of Angelo Pavlano and Eleoma Gallo
Name: Angelo Pavlano

Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Eleoma Gallo
Spouse's Birth Date: 1883
Spouse's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Age: 17
Event Date: 30 Jul 1900
Event Place: Columbiana County, Ohio
Father's Name: Vicola Pavlano
Mother's Name: Carnna Ingorlota
Spouse's Father's Name: Luigi Gallo
Spouse's Mother's Name: Phillemena Mango
Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M86891-2 , System Origin: Ohio-VR , GS Film number: 0927775 , Reference ID: 2:3KPP15J

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XDZD-NJL

https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... ace%3Aohio~
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Hi Erudita,

Absolutely wonderful! I had actually tried searching for this daughter before but came up empty-handed. While still not concrete, this record gives more weight to the immigration record I found that I believe to be Filomena Mango. The manifest was for a 44 year old Filomena Mango from Tursi arriving in New York on the Aller on 9 August 1899 with her daughter, Eleanora, 13. This Eleanora's age is off two years from Eleoma but there are numerous similarities.

Thank you so very much!
I am going to try to see what I can dig up on this family.
Ray
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Eleanora Gallo's age in later records is pointing to the Tursi family being hers. I found a manifest for an Eleanora Gallo Paolano, 20, arriving in 1906 in Boston with son Giovanni, 4, destined for Leetonia to meet her husband, Dco. Angelo Paolano. I also found them in the 1930 Census in Summit County, Ohio (her age matches there as well).
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ray,
I'm glad I found info you didn't already have and that it appears to tie in with the passenger list and with other records you already located. Every little bit helps in painting the entire picture.
Erudita
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Yes, once again, thank you very much! This added information adds great credence to the 1899 manifest. In fact, all subsequent records for Eleanora match the age in the manifest. It looks like the next step will be Luigi Gallo's death record in 1891 and then their marriage record to give me a better idea of Filomena's birth.

Thank you so much!
Ray
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ray
You could at this point try emailing the town to see if you can get an exact marriage date for Filomena Mango and Luigi Gallo estimated at about 1882. Also ask for the names of the parents of the bride and groom, and the spouses' ages at the time of the marriage. It's best to send the email in Italian. I can't promise that you will get a reply. Some towns reply immediately; others never do.

statocivile@comune.tursi.mt.it
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Thank you, Erudita!

I will keep you posted as yo my progress. I am fairly certain now that Filomena Mango was the same on the 1899 manifest from Tursi. I can't find her or her daughter on the 1900 Census. It seems like she married her daughter off in Leetonia and then found Giuseppe D'Agostino (who was from New Castle) in Youngstown. They applied for a license in June 1900 but it wasn't issued and then they applied and married in New Castle, PA in July 1900. BTW, I still live in Youngstown; Leetonia and New Castle are both about a half hour drive from here.

I retained a researcher in Italy a few months ago to do research in the church records for my ancestors in Catanzaro because I exhausted the civil records. She lives in Catanzaro and is fluent so I may ask her to give them a call and see if they are receptive of such a request.

Once again, thank you so much! As I said, the ages match up perfectly in later records. The marriage gives her age as 16 but I am quite sure she was actually 14...that matches all census records I've found for her, as well as her death record.

It is interesting though, then, that she was joining her nephew Leandro Mango in New York upon immigration. I believe he settled in New Jersey eventually but did apply for a patent.

Since the microfilm is so so disjointed (by being microfilmed alphabetically by year), I will see if the comune can just do a couple simple searches.

Thanks again!
Ray

P.S.
Where is your family from?