How can you tell the difference between people with the same name and when they came over?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gagliociminoroots
Rookie
Rookie

How can you tell the difference between people with the same name and when they came over?

Post by gagliociminoroots »

Giovanbattista Gaglio has been hard to narrow down as to when he came over here. I see a couple of listings in New Orleans with that name as well as others in New York manifests. How can you narrow it down to the one you are looking for?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: How can you tell the difference between people with the same name and when they came over?

Post by Tessa78 »

Consider some of the information that is contained on the manifest...
And match it to what you may already know about your ancestor...

Try to narrow down the approximate year/years of arrival

marital status
Last Place of residence and who he left there
Destination and who he was joining there

You might also look for family members on the manifest that may be traveling with him -

Can we help you with the manifests you have already found?

T.
gagliociminoroots
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How can you tell the difference between people with the same name and when they came over?

So I am thinking this is the one I am looking for. One is because Giuseppe met his brother in New Orleans. I am thinking GiovanBattista also landed in New Orleans.

I am not sure who G Battista came over to see as I can't read it. I provided both Giuseppe's manifest and G Battista Gaglio's for reference. Thanks Tess, you are awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanceDiva234
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanceDiva234 »

You can usually distinct a person based on whether their spouse and sibling were with them at their specific destination or date. Another easy answer is the date of when an event happened. If your ancestor immigrated when he 20 in 1900 then his birth certificate will be from around 1880. Dates are never completely consistent, but they usually are pretty accurate.

If you are looking for a the parents of someone, look for the same last name on a man that is born in the same region before. Usually it will list a parent though on a birth certificate. Many people never moved from their original destination until they had to so ancestors were always in the same area.

I would suggest typing your ancestors name into ellisisland.org to see his departure and arrival, age of arrival, etc. to figure out who is the correct ancestor you are looking for.
Family names: D'Attellis, Angelicola, Iarezza, Messineo, La Monica, Spero, Angelini
gagliociminoroots
Rookie
Rookie

I would suggest typing your ancestors name into ellisisland.org to see his departure and arrival, age of arrival, etc. to figure out who is the correct ancestor you are looking for.
The only thing about this is they entered at another port. I have Giuseppe's immigration papers showing that manifest is correct and he arrived through New Orleans. I don't think the ellisisland.org page is going to help me too much. I am supposing G Battista that he met up with also came through New Orleans a few years eariler.

G Battista Gaglio was born in 1880 and Giuseppe was born in 1882. I have been unsuccessful in finding any other siblings to link these to let her with other than their parents, Giacomo Gaglio and Maria Licari. I believe I found a death record for Giacomo but I wasn't sure it was him, so that leaves Maria. I don't know when she was born or if she died before these two brothers came to America.
DanceDiva234
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanceDiva234 »

I found Joseph's death record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVRN-M7BF
(Giovanni) John Gagliano WWII Draft: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V1KM-9PM

It could be that is all the children Maria had. It wasn't odd for multiple children to die young. Of course though, you would probably find a birth record for them still. Don't be frustrated if you can't find death records of parents. I never found that many death records more than I found birth records, especially as you go farther back.

Are you sure that the last name is not Gagliano instead of just Gaglio?
Family names: D'Attellis, Angelicola, Iarezza, Messineo, La Monica, Spero, Angelini
gagliociminoroots
Rookie
Rookie

I have only heard the name Gaglio and nothing else. The Joseph you found is my great grandfather. In a previous post, we found GiovanBattista was a brother of Joseph's and I have found his birth record proving the relation, but once he came here is where it runs cold. I didn't go farther to see if Maria had any more children before GiovanBattista, but I may take a look at that down the road.
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

On the manifest,he came over to see , his uncle, Antonino Palazzolo.
When looking at manifests, make sure you always check to see if there is a page 2 or not.
Always look at the previous page and the page after the manfiest.
gagliociminoroots
Rookie
Rookie

I found Joseph's death record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVRN-M7BF
(Giovanni) John Gagliano WWII Draft: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V1KM-9PM
This isn't the John I am looking for because not only is the last name wrong, but the birthday is wrong too. GiovanBattista was born Feb 14, 1880. Joseph's information is correct, however.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The manifest above that you posted for Giuseppe Gaglio would appear to be the correct manifest as the date and port of arrival agree exactly with the date and port of arrival on the Naturalization Card you posted for Giuseppe/Joseph in an earlier thread. :-)

The Naturalization Card also contains the petition (P) and certificate number (CN) for his naturalization records. You can order reproductions for a small fee from NARA...
The packet you will receive should include the Certificate of Arrival (identifying the date, ship and port into which he arrived); his Declaration of Intent; his Petition for Naturalization; and his Certificate of Naturalization.
Here is the ordering site. You will need to register (free)
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.