Siri - Liguria and Piedmont?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Siri - Liguria and Piedmont?

Post by Sus80 »

Hi,

just recently I was informed that via DNAancestry a user with the name Siri has shown up on our list of "dna relatives".

We have a Bernardo Siri in our line of ancestors (born 1785 in Acqui, Piemonte, died 1862 in Montoggio, Liguria. We have this information from parish book entry's on the genealogies page of FamilySearch, Submission ID MMDN-NGC.).

It doesn't seem the name Siri is particularly common in Acqui, Piedmont, but it shows up a lot in the region of Savona, Liguria, and this dna-relative's ancestor, also named Bernardo Siri, was born there (Piampaludo, Savona, in 1857, emigrated to the US).

So we have a Bernardo Siri in our line, born in (Martina) Acqui, Alessandria, Piedmont, and a distant dna relative whose apparently oldest tracable Italian ancestor was this Bernardo Siri from Liguria, which seems to be the most common region for this surname.

Should I assume that our Bernardo Siri, who was born in Acqui, had parents/grandparents who moved away from Liguria, or even that particular town Piampaludo? (When I type the town into google, a restaurant with the name Siri pops up right away upon zooming in...).

Not sure if this is actually an ansewrable question :?
But it would be nice to know where to focus future attempts at finding more ancestors from this branch :)
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Siri - Liguria and Piedmont?

Post by Sus80 »

Oh, it was a bit late last night, of course Marty found Bernardo Siri! Just the place of birth I think I have from the parish book entries.
luckytadpole

Re: Siri - Liguria and Piedmont?

Post by luckytadpole »

I have a Bernardo Siri b. 1858 in Piampaludo, Italy, immigrated to the US and died in San Francisco, CA in 1936. He is a distant link in my tree but I do have some information if that helps. He married Catterina Pistone 1865 Piampaludo, Italy d. 1933 in San Francisco, CA
Carol Scott
luckytadpole@yahoo.com