Children of Pietro Gambino and Giacoma DiMaggio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
London82
Elite
Elite

Children of Pietro Gambino and Giacoma DiMaggio

Post by London82 »

Pietro my 3x's great grandfather was born Abt 1841
Their son colagero Gambino born in Torretta 1881.
I don't know any of Colagero's brother or sisters names..
Help
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Children of Pietro Gambino and Giacoma DiMaggio

Post by carubia »

Here is Calogero Gambino's birth record from 1881:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954438601

Here is the index of birth records from Torretta for 1881:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954438601

If you go through the same film roll looking for the indexes for other years you can search for Gambino births with father Pietro. There were 165 births in Torretta that year, so one would expect 1 year's births to occupy around 55 slides. Then there are also death records and 2 types of marriage records, so the next year's birth index should probably be more than 100 slides later.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

That's the one record I have. That is my great grandfather.

Can you attach an example of where I can find the father's name on the birth record.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

I would really like to learn how to search for my own records. I think I have worn out my welcome here on Italian Genealogy.com lol
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I'm somewhat perplexed by the difficulty you have in identifying the father in a birth record. You have your great-grandfather's birth record and you know that his father was Pietro Gambino. Well, in that record it says "e' comparso Pietro Gambino, di anni...." That's where the father's name usually (but not always) shows up. The person named following the words "e' comparso" (or comparsa) was actually the person who reported the birth, who usually was the father, especially if the parents were married. Then later in the record it says, "da Giacoma Dimaggio...sua moglie" ("from Giacoma Dimaggio...his wife"). The implication is that if a man's wife gave birth then he was presumed to be the father. If someone else, such a midwife, reported the birth then both the father and mother would be named after the word "da" in the same part of the record as Giacoma is listed in this record, assuming the father was known. (If the father was unknown or the parents were unmarried and the father didn't acknowledge paternity, then he would not be named, but this would be indicated.)

Before 1866, in Sicily at least, the birth records had more information, and there were separate sections for the person who reported the birth, the mother, and the father. In that case, usually in the father's section, you just see "da lui dichiarante" (i.e., "from the declarant") and "come sopra" ("as above"). Sometimes familysearch indexers will mistake the midwife reporting the birth for the father or mother. I've even seen that done by a civil records officer who compiled an annual index. Don't automatically assume that the person reporting the birth was the father.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

She just hasn't learned how to read the records yet. I messaged her a few hours ago.

I've noticed 4-5 forms for records. The first being in 1809-1813. My one town must have had an abundance of 1813 books because they just scribbled out the '13 and wrote in the year up through 1816. Then there was a different form from 1816-1820. Then, from 1820 or so, the forms required a lot of info, including baptism. That form, or a variation was used until 1865. My primary searches are in Catanzaro and Caserta,
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Can anyone help find more records for the children of
Pietro Gambino and Giacoma DiMaggio
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »