New Jure Soli Citizenship Law in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

New Jure Soli Citizenship Law in Italy

Post by jennabet »

1. A foreign parent who is in possession of a residence permit for at least five (5) years
2. Has income not less than the annual amount of capital
3. Has the availability of housing that meets the eligibility requirements of the law
4. And who has passed a test of proficiency in the Italian language

May file a Declaration of Intent to obtain citizenship for his child born on Italian soil.

Fortunately, the Italian government, in it's wisdom, saw fit to ensure that this is quite a different Birth on the Soil law than that which exists in the United States.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: New Jure Soli Citizenship Law in Italy

Post by liviomoreno »

The new law is not yet in force. It was approved by one of the two branches of the parliament and needs the approval of the Senate.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hopefully the Senate will NOT approve. But if it does and we can keep the illegals out of Italy, it will not have as great an impact. Speriamo.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Don't know if it will pass, but I think it will be really hard to keep immigrants out of Italy.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Update. 80 cities in Italy are now displaying banners which read: "No Ius Soli. La cittadinanza non si rega" (No Ius Soli. Citizenship will not be given".

The ICC (International Criminal Court - Rome Statute) has also announced the collection of signatures for a referendum if the new law which passed in the House also passes in the Senate. In other words, the Italian people will decide if Italy will have Ius Soli.

"Demolition of citizenship is an attack on our sovereignty which started with the financial coup in 2011, followed by the establishment of three governments with no clear popular mandate and indiscriminate opening of our borders. Having destroyed the State and stripped the economy, they now want to replace the Italian people with other peoples. This will be opposed with all political means possible. For those who want to delete Italian history, there are too many Italians who will never give up".
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Jus soli citizenship is not the norm throughout the world (the US being a major exception).

It seems that a country with a long-term tradition of jus sanguinis would likely have philosophic objections to jus soli, so I'm not at all surprised by this reaction.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Update: No to Ius Soli. Are you ready to sign? Thousands of posters signed CasaPound Italy were hung in a hundred Italian cities (including my city, Pescara) to promote the referendum launched by the movement to repeal the law, already passed in the House and now being debated in the Senate, providing for the acquisition of citizenship for people born in Italian territory to parents from outside Europe, of which at least one is in possession of a long-term EU residence permit. In the poster you see the profile of a pregnant woman with two arrows -- one pointing to her and one pointing to her belly with the words, "Italiana" and Italiano".

"Starting now officially is the signature campaign of the ICC to prevent a foolish and unjust law, wanted by the Democratic Party and Ncd with the "appropriate" abstention of M5s, to complete the destruction of our country -- says the leader of Italy CasaPound Gianluca Iannone -- A law that even gets to discriminate against European citizens by providing a right to citizenship only to those with parents born outside the continent. And the final act of a strategy to destroy what remains of the Italian identity and to allow that our nation is reduced to a cowardly battleground for those who manage immigration as an instrument of pressure in international geopolitical balance. A strategy endorsed so short-sighted and suicidal by these same Italians who cynically want to have a new life to power the business of immigration. Here at stake there are the rights of foreigners, as they would have us believe is a misunderstanding crafted by those who plan to disrupt our society and our identity. So, after having risen rights, systematically discriminating against Italians in favor of foreigners, on the right to housing, daycare, work, now they want to take away the identity making us a minority in our own country. Only those who are born of Italian parents are Italian and should have an interest in being Italian.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I don't get it. Why would non-Europeans be given an easier path to citizenship than Europeans? I'm really surprised this passed in the House.

I'm not sure how the legislative process operates, but how successful is the proposed referendum likely to be?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

As far as to why non Europeans will be given an easier path to citizenship than Europeans, I don't know. But another question would be why has the Italian navy been fishing out of the sea hundreds of thousands of illegal migrants from Africa? Wanting to appease friends in the USA maybe? On the other hand if this law goes the way gay marriage has gone in Italy and the ouster of the Mayor of Rome, it will never be enacted and that would be a good thing.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

This does not appear to be a well thought out proposal.

As to why Italy has been rescuing migrants at sea, it is probably for the same reason that Syrian migrants are allowed in the EU by land--for humanitarian reasons. At least that is the current rationale. For Germany, though, I think it is more about adding to the population of young workers.

I think we all recognize that the migrants--whether they come by land or by sea--are, for the most part, trying to escape poor conditions in their own countries. I think, though, that when migrants insist that they don't want to remain in Italy, Hungary, Greece, etc., and demand to be allowed to journey to Germany, it's hard to argue that they are pure refugees. Many are economic migrants, and I wonder if the European countries can sustain this huge influx of people who expect more than Europe is able to provide.

Adding to the problem is that the migrant population, for the most part, does not share the cultural and religious heritage of most Europeans, and I wonder if this will become a problem in the future. In comparison, the influx of Mexicans and South Americans to the US is less of a problem because the US already has a diverse population, and the newcomers appear to adapt readily to American culture.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Interesting. Suddenly, the various Italian citizenship websites which advocated illegal migrants streaming unchecked into Italy and the EU from Africa and the Middle East while calling anyone espousing an opposing view a "racist" have finally gone silent on the topic and none too soon, in my opinion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/a- ... id=ss_mail
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

It's been a difficult year but it will be Christmas as always in Italy.
http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2015/11 ... 6dbc7.html
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Since a jure soli citizenship law has not yet been passed, how can the decision of a mayor in a small town in Puglia be binding? As a recognized jure sanguinis citizen, I was not allowed to be recognized until a law recognizing descendants of Italian citizens was passed in 1992. What's worse is that most likely the children selected for jure soli citizenship by this small town mayor are the offspring of parents who entered Italy illegally but now hold residence permits. In the US at present there is some question as to whether anchor babies born in the US to illegal immigrants are US citizens and all and could possibly be subject to deportation. Doesn't this mayor in Puglia keep himself informed of what's happening with regard to citizenship in the USA at present?
http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2016/03 ... 75eec.html
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

That doesn't seem legal. Isn't citizenship determined by the laws of the national government? Perhaps this is some sort of "honorary" citizenship. If so, would it entitle that person to the privileges of full citizenship?

Actually, the US constitution awards citizenship to all those born on the soil, even babies born to those in the country illegally and to those (many from China) who come specifically to have their babies here. But the US is a jus soli country; Italy is not, so this makes no sense. Surely the mayor of a US city is not permitted to grant citizenship to whomever he/she wishes. Were that the case, I can think of several mayors who would eagerly do so. :D

Edited to add: I reread the article, and it seems he conferred only "local" citizenship, which actually seems pretty much meaningless.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

No, I don't think this has anything to do with "local" citizenship. I think this is just another mayor on the left who has taken it upon himself to challenge the current law and set an example. We have had similar actions taken in Italy by leftist mayors when they transcribed into the record same sex marriages that were performed outside of Italy and it took a court's decision to have them stricken. Fortunately some of those mayors who made those and other bad decisions eventually stepped down, the mayor of Rome, for example. By the way, it should not be the responsibility of the party of an unelected prime minister to change a constitutional citizenship law. It should be the responsibility of the Italian people with a referendum.