Looking for Augustino DeFerrari 1850s from Genoa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jmonaco

Looking for Augustino DeFerrari 1850s from Genoa

Post by Jmonaco »

There is DeFerrari Fountain in Genoa and I wonder if the DeFerrari's (my great grandmother Lena's family from Genoa) were important people and what they did for a living in the 1860s. Also, I notice Italians sometimes have surnames of where they came from. How is that naming done? We are going to Genoa in 2007. Where to look for answers to the questions I have asked?
Grazie
JMonaco
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for Augustino DeFerrari 1850s from Genoa

Post by suanj »

Jmonaco wrote:There is DeFerrari Fountain in Genoa and I wonder if the DeFerrari's (my great grandmother Lena's family from Genoa) were important people and what they did for a living in the 1860s. Also, I notice Italians sometimes have surnames of where they came from. How is that naming done? We are going to Genoa in 2007. Where to look for answers to the questions I have asked?
Grazie
JMonaco
the surname's meaning is: of (de) blacksmiths(ferrari) for profession of first ancestors; De Ferrari (with the space between the 2 words) is tipical of Liguria region, and most probable in origin was only: Ferrari , and after was with "De" added.
About the fountain in same place called Piazza De Ferrari in Genova, really the fountain was an donation of Piaggio family; so the fountain is called as the place: De Ferrari( marchese Raffaele De Ferrari and duke of Galliera).
Regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Jmonaco

Post by Jmonaco »

suanj wrote:
Jmonaco wrote:There is DeFerrari Fountain in Genoa and I wonder if the DeFerrari's (my great grandmother Lena's family from Genoa) were important people and what they did for a living in the 1860s. Also, I notice Italians sometimes have surnames of where they came from. How is that naming done? We are going to Genoa in 2007. Where to look for answers to the questions I have asked?
Grazie
JMonaco
the surname's meaning is of (de) blacksmiths(ferrari) for profession of first ancestors; De Ferrari (with the space between the 2 words) is tipical of Liguria region, and most probable in origin was only Ferrari , and after was with "De" added.
About the fountain in same place called Piazza De Ferrari in Genova, really the fountain was an donation of Piaggio family; so the fountain is called as the place De Ferrari( marchese Raffaele De Ferrari and duke of Galliera).
Regards, suanj
Mille grazie for taking the time to help me. My other grand parents were called DeMichele (no space) from Montelongo (Campobasso). I think by the time DeFerrari's came to America (1876) they spelled their name with no space. Antonia DeFerrari married Andrea Dondero. Would the Dondero name have any meaning?
Andrea Dondero, my great grandfather, was a weaver in Genova (Terrarossa, I think). I found his occupation on an 1885 ship manifest. He became a fruit seller in New York (Little Italy), but he died very young (33).
That he was a weaver amazed me. I, too, was a weaver, 100 years later.
It feels good to be connected. Grazie
JMonaco
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ciao,
I found this on www.ellisisland.org:
De Ferrari Agostino - Age 41 - Date of arrival Aug, 24 , 1896 Port of departure Le Havre.
E' forse questo?
Buona ricerca...
Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Mille grazie for taking the time to help me. My other grand parents were called DeMichele (no space) from Montelongo (Campobasso).
I can say you that also De Michele surname have the spaces.. In USA asalso in UK many surnames starting with DE or DI or LA or LE or Li etc, well all lacking of the space... so they are inexacts.
I think by the time DeFerrari's came to America (1876) they spelled their name with no space.
No, no, all have the space (also in 1876 and before), the problem was for the difficulties of to write italian names.
Antonia DeFerrari married Andrea Dondero. Would the Dondero name have any meaning?
Dondero is an surname present Liguria region, I don't know about this surname but most probable is a local surname.

Best regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH