Need help on surname origin for Gangai

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ckono

Need help on surname origin for Gangai

Post by ckono »

Hi there, doing genealogy research in Bari and I have a family surname Gangai. I can't seem to find any sort of origin info on the surname or a meaning for it. It doesn't sound like a typical italian surname to me, so I am very perplexed. Also perplexed to see it is a common surname in India. Any info on this family name would be much appreciated!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need help on surname origin for Gangai

Post by Tessa78 »

Where did you see this named written?
Can you post an image?

T.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

I don't know about the origin of the surname, but I can tell you that there are more than 100 listings in the Puglia region of individuals with that last name.

I guess it is reasonable to assume that it is not very rare.
TerraLavoro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

And at least ONE in the Italian Phone Book (landlines) in Bari :-)

http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs=gangai&dv=bari

T.
ckono

Post by ckono »

Hi all, thanks for the replies! Yes, the surname doesn't appear to be SUPER rare, but I still would like to get to the bottom of it's origin/meaning if possible. The family I am researching with the surname is from Bisceglie in Bari. Any hints about where I could search would be great.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I found the following:

E' piuttosto criptico anche il poco diffuso Gango, da cui anche Gangoni, Ganghini, Ganghino, Gangai, originato probabilmente dal gotico wango, "mascella"; hanno quindi significato identico a quello di cognomi come Mascella, Mascelloni, Mascellani, diffusi fra Emilia e Toscana, legati a soprannomi che indicavano una mascella particolarmente grossa o storta.

It's rather crytic, also not very widespread Gango, from which also (derived) Gangoni, Ganghini, Ganghino, Gangai- probably originated from the Gothic wango, jaw; therefore (these surnames) have the same meaning as surnames such as Mascella, Mascelloni, Mascellani, (which are) common between Emilia and Tuscany (and) tied to nicknames that indicate a particularly large or crooked jaw.

Erudita
ckono

Post by ckono »

erudita74 wrote:I found the following:

E' piuttosto criptico anche il poco diffuso Gango, da cui anche Gangoni, Ganghini, Ganghino, Gangai, originato probabilmente dal gotico wango, "mascella"; hanno quindi significato identico a quello di cognomi come Mascella, Mascelloni, Mascellani, diffusi fra Emilia e Toscana, legati a soprannomi che indicavano una mascella particolarmente grossa o storta.

It's rather crytic, also not very widespread Gango, from which also (derived) Gangoni, Ganghini, Ganghino, Gangai- probably originated from the Gothic wango, jaw; therefore (these surnames) have the same meaning as surnames such as Mascella, Mascelloni, Mascellani, (which are) common between Emilia and Tuscany (and) tied to nicknames that indicate a particularly large or crooked jaw.

Erudita

Thank you SO SO much, Erudita! Exactly what I was hoping to find!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome.
Erudita