politics, unification and garibaldi, et al

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
dmt1955
Master
Master

politics, unification and garibaldi, et al

Post by dmt1955 »

i am hoping that someone can help me to understand this.....

there are a few native italian facebook groups that i belong to. periodically, i see a post / news article about unification and the idea that individuals such as garibaldi, mazzini, victor emanuel, cavour, etc. are viewed as criminals.

just today i read an article that the town of Limatola (BN) is removing the name of Garibaldi from streets/piazzas, etc. calling him and the above mentioned 'criminals.' i am very curious about this and am hoping if someone could offer their ideas about the politics of this.

donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: politics, unification and garibaldi, et al

Post by PippoM »

It would be very long to explain...lots of scholars dealt with this matter since 1861. However, I try to give a synthesis: More than 150 years after unification, there are still some who would like to have an independent South. Indeed, it is clear that what led Italy to be one State was a war. As in every war, there were ideals, crimes, heroes, criminals, slaughters, business and epic battles. For instance, during WW2 those we call "partisans" with a positive meaning, were said to be "bandits" by nazis and fascists. And the same event can be read differently depending on your point of view. People who write on some sites, like "Sanfedista" or "identità insorgenti" are so-called "neo-borbonic", who would like to have a Southern State (some of them often use an American confederate flag as a symbol) even with a Borbon King back. I can't say if unification of Italy was right or wrong, but that's just what it was. All I see is that the poor stayed poor, in the South as well in the North, and crowds of them emigrated (so we have our wonderful Forum, btw). But Italy is one since 1861, Northern and Southern blood has mixed, and all this prattling doesn't show sense of history...only bar talk and (old) politics in the background.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
dmt1955
Master
Master

Post by dmt1955 »

pippo,
thanks so much for your thoughtful response. it helps give me a context to understand what i read.

it makes sense the idea that one's opinion depends on which side of the fence you stand. as my cousin says of our Purcaro ancestors, who did fight for a constitutional govt. - "some thought of them as patriots - others as traitors."

since my ancestry research, i have tried to read what i could about italy's history, especially the years 1815-1870. the books are written in english. i assume there's a certain amount of accuracy, etc. that could be missing from these references.

the US civil war ended 1865 yet, many still fight that war to this day. so, i can appreciate your explanation.

thank you again pippo.
donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

You're welcome, Donna! :-)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Just thought I'd mention that in my town in Italy we have a high-school which was built during the Mussolini era and constructed in the shape of an "M" for Mussolini himself. It's one of the most prestigious schools in the city with many graduates going on to become fine architects. No talk of shutting it down as far as I know.
DCPandaFan
Rookie
Rookie

Post-unification brigantaggio

Post by DCPandaFan »

In the 1860s, there was a upsurge in "brigantaggio" in the newly-conquered South of Italy. Much of this was outlaw activity was carried out by, or financed by, sympathizers of the former Borbone monarchy which, until Garibaldi's conquest, had ruled the South. Yes, this was very similar to the increased outlaw activity in the post-Civil War United States. Jesse James and his gang were all sympathizers of the Confederacy. It took some time for the outlaws to be put down, in both countries. And there are still some diehards in both countries who still don't accept that their side lost.
Various parts of Southern Italy had a more extensive history of brigantaggio, going back centuries. These tended to be in poor, mountainous areas far from Naples, and there is considerable folklore about the briganti.
When will Italy get Giant Pandas?