Searching GAETANO MASCARO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mascaroprimo
Rookie
Rookie

Searching GAETANO MASCARO

Post by mascaroprimo »

Please, I´m searching the birth date and city of my great grandfather:

Gaetano Mascaro
Born in 1876
Father: Tomasso Mascaro
Mother: Domenica Pugliese (not sure if it is correct)
Local: Calabria, probably in Catanzaro

Gaetano had a brother who was born in 1878 and his name was Tomasso as well.

Any help to find information about him will be as a xmas gift to me!

Buon Natale per tutti!

Daniel Gustavo Mascaro Primo
mascaroprimo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching GAETANO MASCARO

Post by mascaroprimo »

Ciao,

Very sorry, but I insist that I need any tip about my great grandfather.

Please, could anyone at least tell me if I can found something by internet from Calabria, mainly Catanzaro, where can I check and try to find by myself the "atto di nascita", please?
Any help will be very welcome.
Wish all of you a great New Year!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Daniel :-)

Did your GFF remain in Italy or immigrate to another country?

There are some records online for Comune of Catanzaro here...
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043789

As you can see in this index for 1876, there is not a listing for Gaetano Mascaro
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043789

AND... no listings for MASCARO in the 1878 index of births...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043789

Perhaps he was born in another town in Catanzaro PROVINCE?
The surname MASCARO is found in several other towns. Primarily you can find it today in Lamezia Terme and Serrastretta :-)

T.
mascaroprimo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mascaroprimo »

Hello Tessa,

First of all, thank you very much for your attention and help. You make me feel more confident in find what I want.

I have found all the records from my father´s family, which is italian too (they were from Matellago, Venice) and now I´m starting to look for my mother´s family.

I do not need this information to ask my citzenship and I´ll not earn any money with. I am just really proud about the italian blood which runs in my veins and every time I have been in Italy my heart beats different.

I´ve been in Tuscany and Venice and now it´s time to find where my mother´s ancestors were born in the South. I wanna know exact where, why and how they came to Brazil, etc and visit the city as well to feel what I normally feel when on trip around Italy.

Sorry for this long introducing, but you have no idea how nice your reply was to me.

Gaetano, my Great Granfather came to Brazil in 1893, when was 17 years old with his younger brother Tomasso. Some months after, arrived in Brazil Tomasso Mascaro (guess my ggf´s daddy), with his sons Francesco and Giuseppe Mascaro.

In Brazil they change their names. Gaetano became Caetano, Tomasso became Thomaz, Giuseppe changed to José and Francesco to Francisco.

My ggf´s mother was Italian too, but in his matrimonial docs she was called "Domingas Palhesa", but probably her name was Domenica Pagliesa, or Pugliese...

With so many mistakes, have been hard find any clue about them and you are right, Mascaro is a very common name in Italy, mainly in Calabria.

Some part of family told me that Gaetano was born in Catanzaro, but I don´t know if in Catanzaro Province or Catanzaro City. As you checked, probably in another city.

I´ll try hard find some more information which can help me make my goal, but your help was very friendly and I´m very thankfull for your attention and wish you all the best.

I´ll keep going, and find this will be my target to make my new year even more special.

Thank you!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Daniel :-)

I am very happy to help you!
Thank you for the additional information about your ancestors. It will help in the search.
Stay on this journey as it will give you great joy and satisfaction.
Ciao!

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found this marriage listed in Brazil Marriages index. No other information ...not even the date :-(

Thomaz Mascaro

in the Brazil, Select Marriages, 1730-1955

Name: Thomaz Mascaro
Spouse: Dominga Pagliesa
Child: Jose Mascaro
Source Information
Ancestry.com. Brazil, Select Marriages, 1730-1955 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
Original data: Brazil, Marriages, 1730-1955. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013.

NOTE: While Pagliesa is probably Pugliese... both this surname and the Mascaro surname are found in the City of Catanzaro.

What are the names of the spouses of Gaetano/Caetano Mascaro and of Tommaso/Thomaz Mascaro???

Could this be the marriage of Gaetano's brother, Giuseppe/Jose?

Thomaz Mascaro
mentioned in the record of Jose Mascaro and Raphaela Cicianelli
Name Thomaz Mascaro
Gender Male
Wife Dominga Pagliesa
Son Jose Mascaro
Other information in the record of Jose Mascaro and Raphaela Cicianelli
from Brasil Casamentos
Name Jose Mascaro
Birth Date 1875
Birthplace Italia
Age 29
Spouse's Name Raphaela Cicianelli
Spouse's Birth Date 1881
Spouse's Birthplace Italia
Spouse's Age 23
Event Date 29 Oct 1904
Event Place São Simão Apóstolo, São Simão, São Paulo, Brazil
Father's Name Thomaz Mascaro
Mother's Name Dominga Pagliesa
Spouse's Father's Name Paschoal Cicianelli
Spouse's Mother's Name Guida

T.
mascaroprimo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mascaroprimo »

Tessa,
What a beautiful thing you are doing to me! I have no words in english to show how glad I am with your help. Now, surely I´ll find what I am looking for.

I had found this record before and I guess this "José" is that Giuseppe that I mentioned before, my ggf´s brother who arrived in Brazil some months later than Gaetano. But I guess this record has many mistakes.

That Giuseppe who I founded arrived in Brazil in 1893 and was 12 years old, so he was born on 1881, not 1875.

His father´s name is writed similar than ggf Gaetano Mascaro parents in his matrimonial records in Brazil: Thomaz Mascaro and his mother´s name is almost the same (Domingas Palhesa here).

Let me answer your question: Gaetano had his name changed in Brazil and became Caetano and got merriege in Brazil with Maria Torrano.

According to his matriomonial records, they gor marriege in 1897 when he was 21 years old. Maria Torrano was just 15 years old and her parents were italian too: "Januareo" (I guess was Gennaro, in Italy) Torrano was born in Diamante, Cosenza, in Calabria and "Josephina" (I gues was Giuseppina in Italy) Vita was born in Tramutola, Potenza, in Basilicata Region.

Even in his matrimonial records and in my grandfather´s birth records, my ggf´s names were Thomaz Mascaro and Domingas Palhesa.

Very hard, isn´t it? If it´s hard to you, who are very good in it, you can imagine to me how difficult find some correct information.

If you keep helping me, surely my chances will get bigger! Thank you!

Please, let me know if you find something more and I´ll try hard have more information to help you help me!!

My best regards.

Daniel
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Daniel,
I believe that Tommaso Mascaro travelling with your ancestor Gaetano Mascaro, it was no the Brother, but maybe a cousin:
http://museudaimigracao.org.br/acervodi ... 37_133.pdf
Tommaso was 15 old in 1893 so born abt in 1878; and matching enough with his marriage record:

Thomaz Mascaro

mentioned in the record of Thomaz Mascaro and Elisa Cansolina

Name Thomaz Mascaro
Birth Date 1880

Birthplace Italia
Age 25
Spouse's Name Elisa Cansolina
Spouse's Birth Date 1888
Spouse's Birthplace Italia
Spouse's Age 17
Event Date 11 May 1905
Event Place São Simão Apóstolo, São Simão, São Paulo, Brazil
Father's Name Angelo Mascaro
Mother's Name Maria Angela

Spouse's Father's Name Nicolau Cansolina
Spouse's Mother's Name Angela Cansolina

but as you can see the parent's names are different from Gaetano parents...
I believe they was cousins...
just a suggestion...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

here the Tommaso Mascaro with Francesco and Giuseppe
http://museudaimigracao.org.br/acervodi ... 40_054.pdf
Tommaso was 46 old, so born abt in 1847.. that is interesting, because I believe he coming from Serrastretta or surrounding towns (Sambiase, Pianopoli ...); but it is just a my idea, and I cannot check it because no civil records on line... regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mascaroprimo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mascaroprimo »

Hi Suanj,

First of all, thank you very much for join Tessa and help me too.

If that Tomasso who came to Brazil with my ggf Gaetano was his cousin, so, that Tomasso who came some months latter with Francesco and Giuseppe probably was Gaetano´s father and his brothers.

I have no informations about Gaetano´s mother and her correct name, if was Domenica (as I guess) or Dominga (like appears in Gaetano´s birth records) and her cognome, if was Pagliesa, Pugliesa, etc.

I have found lots of "Mascaro" in Pianopoli, even one young guy called Tomasso Mascaro as well. I wrote to him by Facebook asking if he knows something about my ancestors, but have no reply so far.

I´ll keep trying more information about, so I can feed this post and try become closer than my ggf.

Thank you very for your help and wish you a great 2016.

Best regards.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

suanj wrote:here the Tommaso Mascaro with Francesco and Giuseppe
http://museudaimigracao.org.br/acervodi ... 40_054.pdf
Tommaso was 46 old, so born abt in 1847.. that is interesting, because I believe he coming from Serrastretta or surrounding towns (Sambiase, Pianopoli ...); but it is just a my idea, and I cannot check it because no civil records on line... regards,
suanj
I checked the online records for Sambiase (births 1845-1848) and did not find Tommaso Mascaro :-(

More than likely they were from Serrastretta or Pianopoli as suanj :-) stated...

You could write directly to the towns to request a birth record for Tommaso Mascaro born about 1847.
Addresses:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Municipio, 1
88040 Serrastretta (CZ)
ITALY

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Guglielmo Marconi, 34
88040 Pianopoli (CZ)
ITALY

T.
mascaroprimo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mascaroprimo »

Hi Tessa,

Wish you a great 2016.

Thanks for checked Tomasso´s records and for the adressess.

Please, could you check my ggf as well (Tomasso´s son): Gaetano Mascaro, about 1876?

I´ll try Serrastretta and Pianopoli Ufficio. I am looking forward to go on trip to this Province and have a look in this Comunes!!! I have never been in south of Italy!!!

Thank you a lot, Tessa and Suanj for all your friendly help!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mascaroprimo wrote:Hi Tessa,

Wish you a great 2016.

Thanks for checked Tomasso´s records and for the adressess.

Please, could you check my ggf as well (Tomasso´s son): Gaetano Mascaro, about 1876?

I´ll try Serrastretta and Pianopoli Ufficio. I am looking forward to go on trip to this Province and have a look in this Comunes!!! I have never been in south of Italy!!!

Thank you a lot, Tessa and Suanj for all your friendly help!

Ciao, Daniel!
Buon Capodanno 2016!

Unfortunately, the online records for Sambiase extend only to year 1854 in the births.

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Daniel, hi Tessa: happy new year!
Daniel also if I no replied before, however I searched in many civil records abt Gaetano birth and no luck! I searched here abt possible birth Communes, but nobody Gaetano Mascaro... for bad luck no the Serrastretta, Sambiase, Pianopoli or Feroleto antico, because I believe that Gaetano was born in some of these Communes or just near.....
I found that a Tommaso Mascaro was in Angoli around 1854 (this info by a Serrastretta story; Angoli is a hamlet of Serrastretta).. and also I found that some Mascaro immigrated in Brasil coming from Accaria. Accaria also is a hamlet of Serrastretta.
Tommaso wife, her maiden name is Pugliese surely..
On antenati website, no civil records abt Serrastretta; but are on line the civil records of Accaria and Angoli... 2 Serrastretta hamlets.
I searched in 1847 Angoli Births and no luck.. however before to write in the Commune, I believe that is better to find a certain trace, finding Tommaso Birth, we will find also Gaetano.. that is sure! Here the website http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... aurazione/
The search is a bit long because no all Birth register have the index, so maybe , having free time, anyone can help, searching also...
Best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Also the first names give us some other clue; the Saint patron of Serrastretta is Tommaso and the Saint Patron of Pianopoli is Gaetano... these first names are of your ancestors... I believe that we are very close to find.. the problem is that no civil records on line abt these towns...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH