Finding a Replacement for Family TreeMaker Discontinued by Ancestry.com

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Finding a Replacement for Family TreeMaker Discontinued by Ancestry.com

Post by rp76226 »

I have over 10,000 records on my family tree on Ancestry.com. I back them up with Family TreeMaker 2010, but as of January 1, Ancestry.com has stopped **SPAM** new Treemaker software and will end support of all versions within a year. I want to preserve the records that I have worked so hard to obtain, and I think some of you have the same issue. What's the use of finding records if you cannot adequately preserve them? Here are my concerns:
I currently have a family tree on Ancestry.com with over 40,000 people, over 7400 photos, almost 11,000 records, over 300 stories and 44 audio stories. I want a software package that can handle, save, and show all of that, not just a GEDCOM transfer. I have been using Family Treemaker 2010 to copy my tree from Ancestry.com, but it no longer can handle my size Tree. Starting January 1, 2016, Ancestry.com no longer will sell Treemaker software, and in one year, they will stop supporting the existing software.
Any suggestions? Please give me the reasons why with your suggestions, particularly relating to performance. From what I've read, except for Treemaker, there is no current software that can download a Tree from the ancestry.com website, but that there may be in the future.
I have also been reading that family trees are being transferred to the Cloud and supposedly are more secure there. I've also read that people are opening up private websites for free for their family tree. has anyone done that?
I also would like to download my complete Tree to a DVD, but I'm guessing that I have too many gigabytes for that. Again, anybody have experience with that?
With such a large tree, I do not want to recreate the Tree from scratch. here's a review I read with a lot of details:
Ancestry to Retire Family Tree Maker Software

http://blog.eogn.com/2015/12/08/ancestr ... -software/
rp76226
Master
Master

Re: Finding a Replacement for Family TreeMaker Discontinued by Ancestry.com

Post by rp76226 »

This website is changing one of my words in the original post to spam. It won't let me correct it. Let me use another similar word to what I was using. When you see SPAM in my original post, change the word to "offering".
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Periodically I download my GEDCOM file from Ancestry, run an Excel macro on it that adds additional information, and then import it into an Access database I created. Once in Access I can create my own queries to split out the data into various tables and search.

My tree is slightly larger than yours and the size of the GEDCOM file is not that large. I could easily directly edit it, but unfortunately AFAIK one cannot upload a GEDCOM file to Ancestry.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

It's important to me to save not only my GEDCOM file, but me records, photos, written stories, and audio stories. For over a year, The 2010 Treemaker software has not been able to download due to 'script errors' (apparently the newer ones that 'sync' with the tree have no problem). Ancestry knows about the problem, but have no ETA on a fix. I really wish there was a good alternative to Ancestry.com to include saving all the photos, stories, and records, because Ancestry.com is tone deaf to customer complaints and has lots of problems, not the least of which is providing way too many junk hints with no way to better filter and see only the meaningful hints. For a large Tree, this is a huge problem (I have almost 70,000 hints; with over 90% of them useless, wasteful junk that shouldn't be shown and that I do not have the time nor the desire to go through).
James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Post by James Graham »

This may be a bit off topic in as I'm not referring to Family Tree Maker.
Is there a way to export one's family tree from Ancestry with all the photos and documents? Or do they need to be done individually?
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

To my knowledge, the only way to do this is with one of Ancestry's Treemaker software packages. There is speculation that Ancestry might allow other Tree software companies access their website, but for now, it's just speculation.