demise of Family Tree Maker

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
erudita74
Master
Master

demise of Family Tree Maker

Post by erudita74 »

This may be of interest to those who have family trees on ancestry.com

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015 ... -software/
dmt1955
Master
Master

Re: demise of Family Tree Maker

Post by dmt1955 »

thanks for posting this, erudita.
donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative program......one that they like using?
TerraLavoro
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's some additional info I got from a man in the genealogy club in my village:

"I talked to Ancestry about Family Tree Maker and this is what they told me: After 12 31 2015 FTM will not be available from them. Ancestry will continue to support and Sync all data from FTM to the Ancestry storage file. The green leaf will also still be supported and supplied. After 12 31 1916 this support will no longer be available. FTM will continue to be a stand alone package but not synced to the web or Ancestry. They are working on Ancestry.com being able to do the same work as FTM. IF you upload your family tree’s to the Ancestry site, it will continue to be there for others to view. No lost data. Not as good as could be but satisfactory."

The president of this club has been using Legacy for many years and has always been happy with that program, so I myself have asked my kids to get me a copy of Legacy 8.0 deluxe as a Christmas gift.

You can download the basic 8.0 Standard Edition for free and try it.

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Downloa ... p#Download

Erudita
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Thanks Erudita.......I will check it out.
TerraLavoro
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Dear Family Tree Maker™ community,

Since our Family Tree Maker announcement last December, we have continued to actively explore ways to develop and support Family Tree Maker and ensure you have choices to preserve your work in ways that matter to you.

Today, we are pleased to announce two options for desktop software that will work with Ancestry.

Software MacKiev

Software MacKiev, with whom we have a long-standing relationship, is acquiring the Family Tree Maker software line as publisher for both Mac and Windows versions. Software MacKiev has been the developer of Family Tree Maker for Mac for more than six years and is thrilled at the opportunity to publish future versions of Family Tree Maker for Mac and Windows.

This new agreement means you will receive software updates and new versions from Software MacKiev, and have the ability to purchase new versions of Family Tree Maker from Software MacKiev as they are released. You will have continued access to Ancestry Hints, Ancestry searches, and be able to save your tree on Ancestry with Family Tree Maker moving forward.

RootsMagic

We have made an agreement with RootsMagic, a leading genealogy desktop software program publisher, to connect Ancestry with the RootsMagic software by the end of 2016. With this new relationship, RootsMagic can serve as your desktop family tree software, while having access to Ancestry hints, Ancestry searches, and the ability to save your tree on Ancestry.

We have heard your concerns and are working to provide the solutions you requested. These new agreements will make it possible to preserve your work on Ancestry and Family Tree Maker and enable future features and benefits to help you discover your family history. Be assured that Ancestry, in cooperation with Software MacKiev and RootsMagic, will continue to support you as you discover your family history.

We ask for your patience as we work diligently through all the details to make these solutions available. You can find additional details about these Family Tree Maker partnerships on our blog. We also encourage you to continue to check back on our blog for future updates in the coming months.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Ancestry.com is lying when they stated that they will support TreMaker until the end of this year. I have Treemaker2010 and it is giving me script errors that can't be fixed and therefore, you are blocked from downloading an Ancestry.com Tree to the software. I contacted them, but they have no answer as to when it will be fixed. I know the answer - Never.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

I use the Family Tree Maker 2014 by Software MacKiev. I got it last month as I was reading that the tree maker in Ancestry would go away. I like it! It links to the Ancestry Tree - when you update one, the other can sync with it and update as well. You can control this by doing a sync manually, when you feel it is right or you can opt to have it done automatically at the close of each program.
Prior to using Family Tree Maker, I was using Family Historian, a UK software. While it was OK, and definitely served its purpose, I did not like the way it handed citations/sources. Therefore, I was on the look out for something new.
I'd recommend the Software MacKiev, which is located here in Boston, to anyone. My Ancestry FT has 252 people and tons of media/documentation and this was the perfect solution for me. I can continue building my tree without worry about the tree going away and I love the customer support of Software MacKiev -- very responsive as I was learning the ropes. Take a look at it....
- Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

BTW I use it on my laptop, which has Windows 10 OS.
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

If you have "errors" detected by the software (fore example a range of years for date of birth), does it show only one error at a time or all errors together so that you can check the top box to ignore all of them if you so choose?
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Good morning RP. I think what you are asking is whether there is a choice in what you enter into your tree. For instance, when you see a hint in Family Tree Maker 2014, you have the choice, just as you do in Ancestry, to merge the data with your tree or not. You can customize your tree as well. There is a 14 chapter guide on specific steps and ways to use FTM2014, but to be honest, I did not use it at all. FTM2014 is intuitive enough to understand how to navigate the software and build your tree. BTW, it will automatically import your tree from Ancestry so you don't have to start from scratch. It also has a nice planning section where you can add tasks per person on your tree to complete. It's a little thing, but helpful.

I am wondering if your issue with errors may be from the old software -- it might be worthwhile to look at that. You can go to https://www.mackiev.com/ftm/index.html and look over the features - and even ask questions. Their team is very responsive and will not only answer your questions, they will give you a link to the answer so you can look it over later. - Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

The link really just is "marketing" and does not answer my concerns. I have over 40,000 people, 10,000 records, 400 stories, and 7,500 photos on my Tree. The last time I sent my concerns, I never received a response. MY number one problem now with the Treemaker 2010 software that I have is that it is presenting hundreds, maybe thousands of errors - one error at a time only to be resolved individually which would take countless hours. In the past, it listed every error on one screen with the option to check a box on the top that then put a check in all the boxes giving me the ability to say ignore all for all of them in one step. It doesn't like dates of birth, marriage, and death that use abt, bef, and bet which appeared on many of the hints I accepted. Also, if after uploading a photo, I may have reorganized my folders of photos, and it can no longer find the photo apparently in my files when it shouldn't be necessary to find it at all once it has been uploaded to my Ancestry Tree and I am doing a download from that Tree to my Software. I want to know if these issues will continue with new software or whether it will just acdcept the Tree on Ancestry.com "as is" and stop giving me countless errors which only can be resovled one error at a time. That simply won't work for me. I also want to make sure that the software can handle a tree of this size.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Thanks for taking to time to explain. I cannot answer that question directly - but perhaps you can send an email with your concerns to this email address - familytreemaker@mackiev.com -- it is the Family Tree Maker Team support email. I received a response from the team a day after I sent in a request from the site. They may be better able to answer your questions, especially concerning the scale of your tree. Good luck! -- Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
JenniferConnely

Post by JenniferConnely »

Technology is evolving swiftly today, so staying current is essential if you want to market your website resource on search engines. Tracking the dynamics is vital, and this website offers a great service. allows you to obtain more keyword data and see how ranking positions have evolved over time.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

3 Days and still no response to my emails from Family TreeMaker:

I just upgraded to TreeMaker 2019. I synced the Tree tonight with Ancestry.com. When I clicked on the Home person (myself), I noticed that my maternal grandfather Evangelista Lorusso was not listed. Yet, I can go to the index and find him. But when I find him, my mother his daughter is not listed!! When I go back to Home Person and try to add him there next to his wife, my maternal grandmother, it won't let me do it. Also, many profile photos are missing on both the software and Ancestry.com.

When I go to Ancestry.com to Home Person (myself) just my mother appears with neither of her parents and many ancestors fating back to the 1700s.

Now I am really scared that this upload has screwed up that branch of my tree, and who knows how many other tree branches. I have over 68,000 people on my tree. It's not that I can check each and every one. This is a total disaster!! You've got to fix this for me!!

I have not heard from you yet on the forwarded email. Since then I've discovered that this same problem that exists for myself on the Tree also exists for all my first cousins and one of my second cousins that I've checked with the difference being that mine is a missing grandparent and theirs is a missing parent. I haven't checked any further. The cousins missing a parent erroneously have their siblings divided between full siblings and half siblings due to the missing parent when all have the same parents and before TreeMaker 2019, this problem did not exist in either TreeMaker 2017 (which I can no longer open for this Tree - Puma Tree Most Current). That missing parent is actually on the Tree for their other siblings and should be showing as their parent too. That's the way it was in both Ancestry.com and TreeMaker 2017 before the upgrade to TreeMaker 2019 and the sync I did distorted both Trees.