Pappalardo/Guido/Sabatina family? Can't find birth town, help?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Handerson123

Pappalardo/Guido/Sabatina family? Can't find birth town, help?

Post by Handerson123 »

The farthest I am able to go back is to, 1877, my 2nd great grandfather was named Salvatore (Sam, or Samuel) Pappalardo, and he was born in Catania. The had 4 sons and 3 daughters with Josephine (Giuseppina Sabatina), who's parents were named Vincenzo and Guiseppina (verne or sabatina)
One of Salvatore (Sam, Samuel) and Josephine (Giuseppina Sabatina) children include my great grandfather Ernest Pappalardo, who was born 10/11/1902.
Ernest Pappalardo went to NY when he was a child, and married Stella Giudo in 1924, and had 8 children..
including Samuel Pappalardo, Josephine Pappalardo, Vincent (Vicene) Pappalardo, Irene Pappalardo, Stella Pappalardo, Lucy Pappalardo, Albert Pappalardo, and my grandpa Ernest Jr.
Stella Guido's (my great grandma) parents were named Vincent and Josephine, and had a bunch of siblings.. names I believe were Alfred guido, Raymond guido, Jonny guido, David guido, librata guido, Antonio guido, Marie guido, and vincenza guido.

Ernest relocated to California and had a couple kids with you grandma Gladys, including my mom Yvette Pappalardo and my aunt Michelle Pappalardo.

Any family out there or someone to help me figure out where my great grandpa was born?
His naturalization documents say Salerno, Italy, but I need the town. I wanted to get my dual citizenship and visit home, but they're very specific about where he was born.

All I have is Ernesto Pappalardo, October 11, 1902 in Salerna.

It looks like some of his siblings may have been born in Belpasso, and I read a previous post that mentioned he could've been born in a town that translates to three chestnuts in Italian (lol).. but I don't want to rewrite all this info again (when I typed in Ernest Pappalardo under search, for reference) to make sure that's what it said, but something like that.

Dad was Salvatore (Sam, Samuel) Pappalardo (1877-1949ish) and mom was Josephine (Giuseppina) Sabatina (1885-?)
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Pappalardo/Guido/Sabatina family? Can't find birth town, help?

Post by adelfio »

This 1906 shipmanifest for Ernesto Pappalardo age 4 line 19 says his parents were Sabato Pappalardo (abt 1877)and Giuseppa Sabatino
PG LINK
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I found this WW2 Draft card is this him
Name:Salvatore Pappalardo
Birth Date:28 Apr 1877
Birth Place:Italy
Residence:New York, New York, USA
Race:White
PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1002/NY ... sePUB=true

Italian military registration couple days off
Nome: Salvatore Pappalardo
Classe: 1877
Comune di nascita: Cetara province Salerno

Full text: Salvatore Pappalardo di Giuseppe Pappalardo and Brigida Gatto nato il 04/25/1877 a Cetara di professione Marinaro

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Handerson123

Post by Handerson123 »

Thank you Marty!! The search narrows because of you.

:D

There are other documents that show their affect gap as approx 4 years (ny census pages), and this shows as 11 (18 yo Giuseppe and 29 to Sabato), so it's hard to determine which one is accurate.
Other names I found for him were Sam, Samuel, Sabbato and Salvatore.

I found his marriage cert that shows his moms name as Giuseppina, and census records that show her name as Josephine.

My papa told me we have family in Naples area, and his naturalization paperwork only says Salerna, with no town indicated (but is close to Naples at least).
I'm pretty sure they came from Catania originally, but I'm not positive, and he was only 4 when he came (oct 11,1902), so it very likely could be either place.

Ernesto married Stella Guido in NY July 10, 1924 and was naturalized April 20, 1940 (340570) in NY southern district.

I've tried so hard to find his birth town, and it feels so impossible!
Any other suggestions Marty? Thanks for helping me

Their children's names were Josephine, Irene, Vincent, Albert, Ernest jr, stella, sam and Lucy.

(I know those names were also his name, his moms, his then wife's, I think Stella's dads, his dad's.. Lol)

Thanks again Marty :)
Handerson123

Post by Handerson123 »

Cetara is a town in Salerno.. I feel like we are getting close! :)
I'm still actively looking, please let me know if you find anything Adelfio. You're very kind, thank you.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Lets try this email request for Ernesto birth act with a photo id to find the right birth town
email: anagrafe@comune.cetara.sa.it

Ufficio Servizi Demografici
Comune di Cetara
Corso Umberto I 47
84010 Cetara (SA)
Italia

attn: Antonio Liguori

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Ernesto Pappalardo

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Cetara. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Ernesto Pappalardo
Nome e cognome del padre: Sabato Pappalardo
Nome e cognome della madre: Giuseppa Sabatino
Luogo di nascita: Cetara
Data di nascita: 1902-1903
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty

Marty
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I think this is your GGF Salvatore:

Pappalardo
Nome: Salvatore
Comune di nascita: Cetara
Full text:
Pappalardo Salvatore di Giuseppe e Gatto Brigida nato il 25/04/1877 a Cetara di professione Marinaro

from Archivio di Stato di Salerno- enlistment rolls
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Handerson123

Post by Handerson123 »

Ciao pippo and Marty

I emailed cetara, the town, to see if this is true, and I am still waiting for their response.

I agree, this looks too familiar!
On the ny census, 392 pleasant Ave shows their address, and this addy is basically the same, so it'd be a wired coincidence otherwise ;)

The hunt is on for Salvatore's son, Ernesto though. His is my GGF, Salvatore's my GGGF ;)

Ernesto is the son of Salvatore and Giuseppe (Josephine, Josie, Giuseppina?) Sabatina / Pappalardo.
He was born October 11, 1902 in "selerno," per his naturalization records from ny dated 4/20/40.
He married Stella guido in my 7/10/24 and had 8 kids including my grandpa.

If it helps.. my papa told me we have a famous musician in our family (and I think religuous figure too?)
The only 2 musicians I think they could be are either Salvatore and Giuseppe Pappalardo, who both came from Catania to Salerno ;P
I think I may have read trecastsgni/belpasso/Pedara as a potential area.. I saw the names Salvatore and Giuseppe Pappalardo there, and read on this messageboard somewhere "I heard my grandfather Ernesto Pappalardo (who I'm looking for) came
From trecastsgni. I know there were tons of Pappalardos then, I just can't help but wonder if Ernesto was from selerno, or somewhere near Catania (or Palermo).
My mother is convinced Sicily is a definite no, but You never know ;)

Both of you have been a blessing helping me through this.
Please let me know if you find anything else

Salvatore Pappalardo.. There's a lot of similar documents for someone named this, born 12/12/77 (or dec8,77)If you happen to stumble upon it, can you dig and see if this could be the same person?

His son Ernesto (who I am looking for) & wife /family lived at 392 pleasant Ave, so I feel confident we are on the right track!

I'm getting excited.
Still waiting on cetara to reply

All the efforts have been a blessing for me. Thank you

Love
Heather
Handerson123

Post by Handerson123 »

Correction *

Salvatore was my great great grandfather
Ernesto was my great grandfather, his son (the one I'm searching for)

His parents names and his can be found on the Ellis island 1906 passenger list.. 7/19/06, on the Roma ship, leaving Naples.

I hope that wasn't confusing :shock:
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

PippoM wrote:I think this is your GGF Salvatore:

Pappalardo
Nome: Salvatore
Comune di nascita: Cetara
Full text:
Pappalardo Salvatore di Giuseppe e Gatto Brigida nato il 25/04/1877 a Cetara di professione Marinaro

from Archivio di Stato di Salerno- enlistment rolls
Marty, excuse me! I've just noticed you'd already found this!! :oops:

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Just for reference purposes, is this Salvatore's family?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1488411

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I hoped I could find out something from sister Irene's documents, as she was born in Italy, but I found she died in 1910:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:271X-6XX

Handerson123

Post by Handerson123 »

Ciao Pippo !

I think it very well might be!
It has his name, his wife's name, Ernesto's name, and the year they immigrated as 1906 (&lonely their origin being Italy), which is correct. There was an Irene Pappalardo on the Ellis island record, who was a few months old (Ernesto was 4), and she isn't on here, so she very likely died.
What's interesting is the age gap being 2 years (42/40) with Sam and Josephine and Ernesto, that would mean they had him when they were 24&26, not having Ernesto at 14 and 25. Come to think of it, if Ernesto was 4, and the ellis island paperwork says 18 and 29 for the parents when they traveled together, perhaps that 1 should be a 2 (could be interpreted wrong or written sloppy).. Mathematically it matches up! 28&29, & sabato/samuel/Salvatore would have not had his birthday yet in July .. So the April 77 draft records birthday is incorrect (although the address is nearly identical (392 pleasant ave 392 pleasant Ave)
I have found documentation on an Ernesto Pappalardo, born 12/12/77, which would put him still at 29 during their July Ellis island travel 7-19-06
The new state census shows Irene alive in 1925.. But the age gap with the parents being 6 years at 40-46 (they didn't make it easy did they?)
Maybe they had another daughter and named her Irene (kind of creepy if they did but you never know)

However yes, Ernest (my great grandfather - the one I'm hunting for), Irene, Antoinette, Albert, Mathews, Vincent are correct .. This appears to be the right family!
I'm not sure who Ida and james are.. ;P
It's the first I've heard of those 2. I've looked at tons of NY census documents, and it's always had the above, minus those 2, although it could very well be true! James could be Vincent, and Ida could be Irene?

In addition..
Theres a potential match I found on ancestry, showing Josephine Pappalardo, Jan 26, 1889 - born in Catania Italy (which would make her 17 when she traveled to the US, having my ggpa at 13/14, which I mean.. could've happened. Ellis island said she was 18), passing away sept 1982 in Pennsylvania & Ernesto also being from Catania in 1877, passing away also in Pennsylvania, but in 1952. I think they maybe split up, because I saw the name Josie (Josephine) panisinis death record, who was born Jan 26, 1889 as well, and her death certificate is abbreviated Pappalardo.. (Hmm the plot thickens) & also died in Pennsylvania.

This would account for the 11 year age gap I saw on the Ellis island paperwork as well.. Theory #2?

Still maybe the same folks, just came to Salerno from Catania before having Ernesto and leaving through Naples?
With regards to the NY census, I'm sure they maybe lied about their ages, most people did id assume.

This is getting exciting :)
Handerson123

Post by Handerson123 »

This is information on Ernesto (the one I'm looking for) and his possible mom and dad? It's my tree, so they're collected and assumptions)

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/8191982 ... 4633/facts

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/8191982 ... 6295/facts

My great grandfather.. Ernesto..

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/8191982 ... 6893/facts

That's definitely his baby sister Irene, the dates match with Ellis islands record of her being 3mo old 4 years before she died at 4.

I am sorry if I did not articulate myself well in the previous post, I was half asleep reading it and got really excited. When I read it back after I got off of work, it made little sense ;)

If you notice, there's an 11 year age difference between Salvatore and Giuseppa, which correlates with 18 & 29 on their Ellis island paperwork and estimated ages.

Perhaps the ny census ages are incorrect, but it's the right family

I am not sure if that information I dug up is accurate, but if you could come through it and find anything, I would be most appreciative. I have been trying to track down our Ernesto's birth town for weeks with no success.

Thanks again friends :)
Heather
Handerson123

Post by Handerson123 »

Ciao adelfio and pippo :)

Any more information? Thank you kindly :oops: