Palermo Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
krash142
Veteran
Veteran

Palermo Families

Post by krash142 »

My great-grandmother, Francesca Gandolfo, was born in the city of Palermo. Her family was in the Santa Oliva district for at least a century beforehand. I used Ancestry.com to find her family's marriage indexes to 1820. However, I have no way to search past 1820. I would like to see some real records from before 1820. Could someone help with this, such as directing me to a genealogist willing to help for free, or simply finding a website where I can see records myself?

I will be EXTREMELY grateful for any helpful information.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Palermo Families

Post by Italysearcher »

A free genealogist is a very rare thing especially if they will incur expenses travelling to the various parishes.
The allegati should have got you some older records but beyond that you will need to find a geneologist or researcher to do the parish record search.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
krash142
Veteran
Veteran

Post by krash142 »

I have been so lucky as to find multiple free genealogists in the Province of Udine to help me.

In any event, I am unaware as to what Allegati are. However, there are just indexes on the Ancestry.com database. Perhaps I could employ other methods?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The allegati are the documents that accompanied the marriage record. They consist of birth or baptism records, death records of deceased parents and other records such as military 'nulla osta' etc. These can be found in the LDS microfilms. They are not on line. If they are available for the years you have they should be searched. They are not avaialbale for all years.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

A research in the records before 1820 in Palermo is not too simple. There were many parish churches, so you must consult many church archives. Even if you know the district in which the family lived for centuries, remember that marriages were celebrated in the parish of origin of the bride... Moreover, since the middle of the eighteenth century backward, in the marriage records the parents' names of the spouses were not mentioned!
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
krash142
Veteran
Veteran

Post by krash142 »

This is very helpful information!