Birth & Death Records Of My Sicilian Uncle

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Birth & Death Records Of My Sicilian Uncle

Post by Josie07M11 »

Hi everyone,

I have been trying for years to get the birth, and death records for my uncle who died as a young child in Giardini, Messina, Sicily. So far, my tactic has been to send an email to the Commune di Giardini-Naxos. I have never received a reply.

This is the email I have sent:

Ciao,

Sto cercando informazioni su mio zio Ignazio Sulfaro che è morto
quando lui era un bambino, a Giardini. Mia madre non sa quando è nato
o morto. Aveva 18 mesi quando è morto. Sappiamo solo che è nato a
volte tra il 1944 and 1947.

I suoi genitori erano i nomi di Giuseppe Sulfaro (n. 17 Giugno 1917) e
Maria Stagno (n. 14 ottobre 1922).

I loro altri bambini che sono nati a Giardini sono Paolo (n. 1944),
Gaetana (n.1948) e Carmelo (n.1951).

Capisco che è difficile trovare informazioni su questo bambino, perché
non ho date, ma tutte le informazioni su di lui vorrei fare mia madre
molto felice.

Grazie,
Giuseppina

I think they may not be able to help me because I don't know the exact date when he was born, or when he died. We only know that he was born between the years 1944, and 1947.

Is there anyone else who I could contact to get this information? Perhaps the Archives of Messina? It's important to my mother who never got to meet her brother, to know when he was born, and maybe how/why he died. My mum's parents died a long time ago, and she never found out any of the above information.

Thank you!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Birth & Death Records Of My Sicilian Uncle

Post by suanj »

Hi,
the cxivil records office don't release infos, just release the certificate of vital records, if the request is made very well, and if it is specified the use ( just legal use, no for hobby), why you wish it, and for what do you need...

so the civil records clerk cannot give you the infos that you requested, because the clerk don't issue infos, but certificates, and the certificates can be issued from anyone :
-if they don't are under italian privacy law (70 years)
.if the use of certificate is a preeminent and legal use (so no just for curiosity or hobby) as italian citizenship request
-providing the right and all data because the clerk is no payed to search, if you say born on 1910 ( don't knowing the month or day of birth, for example) he will search in 1910 and sometimes, especially with foreign customers, descentents of italian immigrated in USA, and just to help, they search in the indexes for some year and just to find and to issue the certificate helpful for dual citizenship, it is just a courtesy for a foreign customer to search in more years
-providing a copy of your ID card and to write your full name and your full address,
when these conditions are satisfied the customer receive the reply

I advice you to write to some distant relative living in Messina, maybe they remembering the birth and the death of your little sicilian uncle...
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Birth & Death Records Of My Sicilian Uncle

Post by Josie07M11 »

Thank you Suanj for your advice. Unfortunately there is nobody alive in Messina who would have been there for the birth of my Uncle. But I will try to see if I can find information from the church where he might have been baptized, or from the commune when 70 years passes. (Maybe in a couple of years.)