Need Help with FamilySearch.org

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Need Help with FamilySearch.org

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Are any of the experts here also experts at using Familysearch.org?
I'm talking about my family tree that I have on Familysearch.org.

My problem is that there are "new" family members that appear on my tree that I did not put there. I understand how that works. However....

There are NEW names in my "hints" list that I did not recognize, and when I find those people, they are in a branch of my tree that doesn't appear to connect to the tree I made myself. So I can't figure out their relationship to me and my relatives.

Last night I spent hours clicking on dozens of people and their children and siblings. I wrote them all down, but came to a dead end without seeing how they connect to my family.
My father's name was Rapp (Rappa) and at the top of the new people branch there was Rappo, and all his descendants were Rappi's. I really thought that they would eventually become Rappa's and then Rapp's.
But no...they ended up being two girls who married other names that ended with a family of Bondi's. And that was the dead end.
Somebody on that branch must connect to my relatives, otherwise they wouldn't be there for me to see, right???
It's driving me crazy.

If someone would like to help with this, you can send me a private message and I'd give you my familysearch username and password and all the info about it.
Thanks.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need Help with FamilySearch.org

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

Have you tried the GET HELP feature on FamilySearch? It offers call, live chat, and messaging options. Since it is their application, perhaps they could help. Some applications allow a user to roll back changes or restore prior versions. Maybe FamilySearch does too. I believe that unless you make yours a private tree, others can add to it. If the people who are added are deceased, you will be able to see them. If they are still living, only the person who added them will be able to. Wish I could do more, but I believe that FamilySearch staff are in the best position to help you. Good luck.
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I would not waste my time putting a Tree on FamilySearch.org that anyone who wants to, can change it. I remember when the program first came out - I was going to a FHC center for my own film research, and the people who work/volunteer there were absolutely exasperated as they put up trees with great documentation and others, without documentation changed it incorrectly and it would take hours to correct the Tree, only to have the same thing happen again. Just put your Tree on ancestry.com for free and maintain control. Use FamilySearch.org resources to find additional information about your family. When you want, pay for a subscription to ancestry.com (I only take one month subscriptions one or two months a year) so that you can see their hints. Keep in mind that 90% of ancestry.com hints are either pure garbage or duplication. Be real careful - make sure you have multiple valid points of connection to hints, plus watch for the "stupid" such as children born before their parents or when their parents were too young to have children, married couples born way too far apart or marriage dates that don't make sense with dates of birth or death, children born after their parents are dead, especially the mother, etc.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Thanks @orangeblossom44 I did ask for help through the Chat feature on the website but they said they can only see back several generations of my tree and can't go back as far as I needed them to. She suggested I try one of the many apps that work with their website but the few I tried also only went back a few generations. So I still didn't get this figured out.
And thank you too @rp76226 I do also have a tree on Ancestry.com and I have paid for several months, but when I noticed that a lot of the hints lead to records on Familysearch.org I thought I could do better there for free. But yes I see those things happening that you talked about.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Here is a link to helpful free websites with explanations for family research:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-CdMGg8/

Click on any photo to enlarge. Use the tiny down arrow pointing to a tiny horizontal line to download to your computer.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Thanks @rp76266 I'll check that out.