Where did my second great uncle die?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Where did my second great uncle die?

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

Gioachino Angelo Cavallero was the widower of my 2nd great aunt Placida Goia. Placida died in 1895 at Frinco, Asti. Gioachino Angelo Cavallero died in 1909, but I am unable to understand where he died. His death record is Record #1 in Parte II of the Atti Di Morte for 1909. I would appreciate your help finding the place of his death. Gioachino Angelo Cavallero's late father is Tommaso. Also, I believe that Gioachino Angelo Cavallero's late mother is Vittoria Mosetto. Am I reading her name correctly? Thank you very much!

Clara "Claire"

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1937992
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Where did my second great uncle die?

Post by erudita74 »

He died on Jan 27, 1909 in the Ricovero di Mendicita` di Casale (that is, the city of Casale Monferrato, although Monferrato doesn't appear in the record). It was a charitable institution for the elderly and disabled. I believe the mother's surname is spelled Mossetto.

Erudita
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Thank you so much, Erudita! His wife died 14 years before he did. He must have been lost without her. I am surprised that family did not take him in. I believe that he may have had a brother, Felice, who married his wife's sister, Luigia. I am trying to find proof of this. Again, thank you for your help! It is very much appreciated.

Clara "Claire"
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. I was just reading more info about the place where he died. It seems that it was a rest home and shelter to provide public assistance and charity to the poor. There were many cities that had these establishments. The one in Casale was established in 1740. Originally its purpose was to provide food and clothing to the poor and teach them trades so that they could re-enter society. It also had a wheel where infants being abandoned could be left anonymously. In 1848 and 1849, it served as a temporary military hospital. In the 20th century, it was established as a home for the old and incapacitated, but it seems that that wasn't until 1930. I think in the case of your uncle, it might just have been a facility where he went to recuperate from a hospital stay, as there was also a hospital as part of the complex there.
Erudita
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

I am just now seeing this, Erudita. My apologies. Thank you for this additional information. I am touched by the sorrow, but also hope, that must have been associated with the home in Casale. It strikes close to home. My son is adopted. He was left at the hospital by his birth family after his birth on Christmas Day. Abandoned, yet with the hope he would find a better life, which I hope he has found with us. He's 28 now. Thank you again. It means so much to me to understand, if only a little, the times in which my family lived.

Clara "Claire"
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

No problem, Claire. Glad you finally saw my post.
Erudita