Interchangeable name(s) question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Interchangeable name(s) question

Post by mjclayton1 »

Hello again, Forum-

Maybe a silly (ignorant) question on my part here, but can anyone speak to the possibility that the Italian first name "Carlo" is somehow "associated with" the first name "Eraclito"? At this point, I don't think there's any need to post links to the records that I'm looking at. The discrepancy is between a birth record and a marriage record and it's as straightforward as I've just indicated. Honestly, I'm thinking I have the wrong birth record, but just thought I'd pose the question anyway.

Thanks much in advance...
Mark
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Interchangeable name(s) question

Post by adellagreca »

Mark,
There should be no connection between Eraclito and Carlo. They are two different names. It is common to give children more than one name at birth (I have two of them). The first name is the official name, even though one may be called by the second, third or fourth name. My guess is that you are looking at certificates by two different people. Eraclito and Carlo could be brothers.
Neil
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Hi, Neil-

Thanks for your thoughts. I suspected that there was no connection, but good to know for sure.

My follow-up question (thought) is this: how about when a person with this particular name emigrates to America in the early 20th Century? I can't imagine that he would continue to use it, if for no other reason that most Americans of the day would almost certainly not know how to pronounce it (or, more simply put, "understand" it).

I mean, a change from Giovanni to John, or Giuseppe to Joseph, etc., makes much more sense. But Eraclito? I can't imagine a change to "Clito", but maybe Eric? Still, even that is highly doubtful, IMO. I just think "Carlo" sounds like a more likely direction for this name (in America, that is), but that's just me. Was therefore just wondering as to any additional thoughts as to that possibility.

Thanks again.
Mark

P.S. Apologies to the Forum for the double topic posting. Not sure how I managed that, but I'm gonna blame my iPhone! :D. Admin, please delete the other string if you want!!
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

Mark, that is a different question. I thought that both certificates you were citing were Italian. I can give you a number of excemples of people Americanizing their first or last name. The last one I ran into is someone who indicated that his G-grandfather's name was Daniel. Based on his info, I found a marriage certificate in Italy where the name used was Ottavio. I did not look for the birth certificate, but I am 100% sure that the birth given name was Ottavio and that for some reason, officially or unofficially, once here, his name became Daniel. As you can see, no correspondence at all. I was born Aniello. When I came here I maintained my name, but most people call me Neil and I would say that many of them also know my real name. Also my last name is composed by two words. I cannot tell you the problems I encountered from the very beginning with my last name. In some cases to simplify my life I have combined the two word into one.
Good luck
Neil