FamilySearch Worldwide Indexing 2016

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

FamilySearch Worldwide Indexing 2016

Post by kencwalker »

Here's an opportunity for those that are really into genealogy (Italian or otherwise).
This weekend is the Worldwide Indexing Event at the FamilySearch site.
Their goal is 72,000 teammates indexing over 72 hours - from July 15 to 17.

If you know Italian, think how handy it would be to have another comune indexed.
if you don't, maybe help with US records.
You can Index as many (or as few) batches as you want.

Link at FamilySearch:
https://familysearch.org/worldsrecords?cid=hp-wi16-4878

-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Re: FamilySearch Worldwide Indexing 2016

Post by peonygirl »

Hi Ken - good idea to circulate this in this forum. I am all signed up for this event. While I am an arbitrator/indexer for records in English, I don't really trust myself to index the Italian records yet. I will get there...

I just registered for the National Institute of Genealogical Studies for an online course on "Organizing a One Name Study" which may be my next project. Have you ever taken any courses from them?

Peonygirl :)
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

peonygirl wrote:I am all signed up for this event. While I am an arbitrator/indexer for records in English, I don't really trust myself to index the Italian records yet. I will get there...
I trust myself reading legible, modern records (after 1870 or so), knowing there's an arbitrator.
Reminder translators - there's still time to sign up and help Index Italy!
peonygirl wrote:I just registered for the National Institute of Genealogical Studies for an online course ..... Have you ever taken any courses from them?
I was not familiar with these courses. I looked at the Italian offerings. They sound like lessons learned in the "school of hard knocks". :)
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Ken - well, I was just wondering. I was thinking about learning more about the One Name Study -- sounds interesting. Plus, beside the thoroughly Italian side to me, my husband is thoroughly Scottish. I've started a tree for him; boy what a difference! It feels like I'm cheating, it's so much easier than the Italian.
Anyway, the One Name Study will be for my side... :lol:
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

peonygirl wrote:I was thinking about learning more about the One Name Study -- sounds interesting.
Learn something knew everyday: I never heard of a One Name Study. A little searching shows it' s exactly like it's name. So, how do you pick one name to study from so many ancestors?
peonygirl wrote:my husband is thoroughly Scottish. I've started a tree for him; boy what a difference! It feels like I'm cheating, it's so much easier than the Italian.
Yep, I know what you mean. My GGF Walker and his wife are from Kincardineshire (outside Aberdeen). Between Ancestry and ScotlandsPeople (all indexed and in English AND a census), Scotland is a cakewalk.

I tried my hand at Indexing some 1924 Asti Morti records. It was harder than I expected. The forms were easy (a common "fill in the blank" format) but the Ufficio's handwriting, although "beautiful", made it hard to read the names (m,n,u all looked the same, and I needed an example for the capitals).

-Ken
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

That is a great question. Haven’t you found as you have walked through your ancestors lives that you are intrigued by one more than another? There is no reason why a one name study can only be done once. I have mapped out the people I’m interested in, and chosen one name from each side (maternal/paternal). I will learn more once the course begins, August 1. The University of Toronto comes highly recommended by the Board that certifies genealogists, so with my vast unknowledge of genealogy, why not. I can only learn, right?

The deeper I get into my husband’s story, though, I’m finding his pureblood is actually mixed with ancestors from Ireland. Seriously, I’m beginning to think there is no such thing as pure blood. In the larger sense, we are nearly all related – it is quite humbling. Thanks for the tips on the online source of Scotlandspeople, sure it will come in handy.

If you are interested, I’ll keep you posted on the course. It is a 9 week study with exams. Well, then there is a Once Place Study…..so much to learn!!!!!

Best…Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

peonygirl wrote:Haven’t you found as you have walked through your ancestors lives that you are intrigued by one more than another?
Yes and no. Some are certainly "characters"; for example my Swedish GGF Smith/Peterson. I'd love to know why 2 of the 3 Peterson sons became Smiths after they immigrated. Makes my genealogy work living hades. From what I've found, my family of origin is pretty lackluster: all Italian contadinos/-as and agricolos/-as and their equivalents in Scotland and Sweden. All a bunch of poor farmers; that's why they left the old country! LOL
peonygirl wrote:The deeper I get into my husband’s story, though, I’m finding his pureblood is actually mixed with ancestors from Ireland.
I've heard this before - that there are common Celtic threads between the Scots and Irish (and even the Welsh).
peonygirl wrote:If you are interested, I’ll keep you posted on the course.
Yes, please keep me posted.
-Ken