Iovine Luongo Grossi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Iovine Luongo Grossi

Post by b738pilot »

Ciao

I successfully traced back all of my relatives to the old country, but now I'd like to expand my search in Italy. I'm running into difficulty since it seems most of my ancestors came from villages and the comune's don't usually respond, even to emails in Italian.

I'm hoping there's others out there that I could connect with that have similar interests to the last names of Iovine, Luongo, and Grossi. I'm a direct decendent of a Giacomo Iovine born somewhere in Avellino, Italy but his wife, Orsola Luongo was born in Tufo. So any Iovine's from Tufo I'd be interested in.

I saw another forum post of the Iovine name from Tufo, I see Tufo is a small village, is it possible that any Iovine born in Tufo could be related?

Grazie
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Iovine Luongo Grossi

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you provide some approx. dates of birth and marriage?

There are currently 2 listings for LUONGO in the Italian Phone book in Tufo.
http://www.paginebianche.it/page?btt=1& ... =Tufo&ind=

AND... while there are no current listings for IOVINE in Tufo, there are 16 in the surrounding area (mostly in Lapio)
http://www.paginebianche.it/persone?qs= ... ufo%20(AV)

If you wish to write to these "potential" relatives...
Help with letters in Italian:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

T.
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by b738pilot »

Thanks a lot! I never thought about looking at a phone book! Very nice.

Yes, my 2nd great-grandmother Orsola Luongo was born 1966 and her husband (mio trisnonno) Giacomo Iovine was born 1849.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

b738pilot wrote:Thanks a lot! I never thought about looking at a phone book! Very nice.

Yes, my 2nd great-grandmother Orsola Luongo was born 1966 and her husband (mio trisnonno) Giacomo Iovine was born 1849.
I assume you mean 1866? :D

T.
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by b738pilot »

Yes sorry 1866, that would be freaky if my great-great grandmother was born 1966 lol. sorry about that
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Civil registrations (births, deaths, marriages) are available to rent and view at your nearest Family History Center from the LDS.
They hold microfilm of Tufo records from 1809-1899
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

T.
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by b738pilot »

Yes, I saw that, I was going to place an order this week for the Tufo records. I never used microfilm before, can't wait to see how difficult it will be to read the old Italian handwriting :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You only need to search for familiar names if the handwriting becomes difficult.
At the center there usually is the ability to save the image(s) on a flash drive.
After that, you can return to this forum and post your image for translation if needed. :-)

T.
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by b738pilot »

So i browsed the Tufo microfilm. I found my 2nd great grandfather, but having a hard time reading the handwriting. I'm trying to find out more info on his parents to keep tracing them, does it give the birth years or any info worth knowing for hints for his parents? Thanks

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2cfuwwo.jpg
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

INDEX#5
1849 Jan 22nd in the town of Tufo birth of Giacomo Carmine Iovine son of Domenico Iovine age 38 farmer and his wife Antonia Rosso age 34 sidenote says Giacomo Carmine Iovine married Mariangela Fortunata Nigro 1871 Nov 4th
edited
2nd sidenote says his 2nd wife was Giuditta Orsola Luongo July 29th 1884??

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by b738pilot »

Wow! That's incredible! How you can read that is beyond me :) you're good

One thing though, on Giacomo's death certificate, Antonia's last name is listed as Grossi. Is the writing "Rosso" definitely Rosso or can it be written Grossi? That will prove interesting!
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by b738pilot »

I saw your side note translation now! Yes, that's her! Orsola is my 2nd great grandmother! Wow this is awesome!!! Thank you so much
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

adelfio wrote:INDEX#5
1849 Jan 22nd in the town of Tufo birth of Giacomo Carmine Iovine son of Domenico Iovine age 38 farmer and his wife Antonia Rosso age 34 sidenote says Giacomo Carmine Iovine married Mariangela Fortunata Nigro 1871 Nov 4th
edited
2nd sidenote says his 2nd wife was Giuditta Orsola Luongo July 29th 1884??

Marty
Its written Grosso compare the G with Giacomo
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did you know Giacomo Iovine had 2 wifes?
If you get he marriage record check the spelling of Antonia last name you can get more parent info

Marty

Marty
b738pilot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by b738pilot »

I knew he had two wives so that makes sense, I just don't know what happened to his first wife if they divorced or if she died and if they had any kids. I have to make a trip to Tufo one of these days. Is it safe to say that any "Iovine" that I find from Tufo chances are I'm related to them ? Because I've seen some "Iovine" records through the microfilm