D'Agostin(i)(o), Tinor, Paulon or Pavlone, Fontin

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vaccher

D'Agostin(i)(o), Tinor, Paulon or Pavlone, Fontin

Post by vaccher »

I am trying to find information on the following families that were in Barcis Italy. Currently know Gemma Pierina Tinor D'Agostin born 4-2-1916, in Barcis, to Ruggero Tinor and Domenica Fontin Tinor. She had two brothers Leonello and Irving. Also trying to find info on the parents of Giovanni Antionio D'Agostino born 1-12-1903 in Boston Mass. He married Gemma in Barcis on 2-23-1935. His parents were from Barcis as well. His mother was Maria Pavlone or Paulon and his father was Giovanni D'Agostino. Giovanni Antonio had one sister Domenica D'Agostin (Mamie). We believe she never married and think she was born 1901 and died 1963. Any info that I could recieve would be wonderful. I am going to write the church and the municipal office, but just wanted to see if anyone might know of these people. Thank you.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: D'Agostin(i)(o), Tinor, Paulon or Pavlone, Fontin

Post by mfjp »

Also trying to find info on the parents of Giovanni Antionio D'Agostino born 1-12-1903 in Boston Mass. He married Gemma in Barcis on 2-23-1935. His parents were from Barcis as well. His mother was Maria Pavlone or Paulon and his father was Giovanni D'Agostino. Giovanni Antonio had one sister Domenica D'Agostin (Mamie). We believe she never married and think she was born 1901 and died 1963. Any info that I could recieve would be wonderful.
First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: D'Agestini (as transcribed)
Ethnicity: Italian, North
Last Place of Residence: Barcis, Italy
Date of Arrival: May 20, 1924
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Colombo
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0006

Page 1- 1924 manifest

Page 2 - 1924 manifest

According to this manifest, he was born in Boston, Mass. It also mentions that he had a sister "Palmira" ... you've only mentioned Domenica... so at this point I am not sure if he is the one you are looking for.

He would be off the cousin's Giovanni Panton's home on 39 Lake Street, Cliffton, N.Y. (at this very moment, I can no longer view the manifest... the Ellis site is really giving me a hard time... :roll: ), please note that he also served in the Italian army (info just under column 21).

The place of birth is correct, the year of birth, name all match... would this be your Giovanni D'Agostino?

mfjp
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

vaccher wrote:I am trying to find information on the following families that were in Barcis Italy. Currently know Gemma Pierina Tinor D'Agostin born 4-2-1916, in Barcis, to Ruggero Tinor and Domenica Fontin Tinor. She had two brothers Leonello and Irving. Also trying to find info on the parents of Giovanni Antionio D'Agostino born 1-12-1903 in Boston Mass. He married Gemma in Barcis on 2-23-1935. His parents were from Barcis as well. His mother was Maria Pavlone or Paulon and his father was Giovanni D'Agostino. Giovanni Antonio had one sister Domenica D'Agostin (Mamie). We believe she never married and think she was born 1901 and died 1963. Any info that I could recieve would be wonderful. I am going to write the church and the municipal office, but just wanted to see if anyone might know of these people. Thank you.
Hello,
I suggest you to write and request civil records to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 5
33080 Barcis (PN)
Italy

or contact

Archivio di stato di Pordenone

or rent Barcis civil record microfilmto FHL (mormon church) nearest to you

for parish record click here

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
vaccher

Post by vaccher »

mfjp and Riccardo,
Thank you so very much for the information. I was able to look up the ship manifest. Everything does add up but we are unsure if Giovanni was in the Italian army. Gemma D'Agostin is still living and we are going to see if any of this sounds right with her.
When my husband and I were married 10 years ago we had our honeymoon in Barcis and Bannia (the other side of the family is from here). We met a few relatives at that time and I am hoping they are still around to help us out on our search. Guiseppi Malattia used to work for the municipia in Barcis. We are hoping he is still there.
Thank you once again for your assistance. It is much appreciated.
Pam Vaccher
vaccher

Post by vaccher »

mfjp,
I was wondering how you found this information? I entered all the information that I had and could not find anything. Even now I entered the ship name, date he arrived and all the other info that I have and I still could not get anything. Am I a doing something wrong?
Thanks for your help.
I guess you can tell I am pretty new at this stuff.
Pam
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

vaccher wrote:mfjp,
I was wondering how you found this information? I entered all the information that I had and could not find anything. Even now I entered the ship name, date he arrived and all the other info that I have and I still could not get anything. Am I a doing something wrong?
Thanks for your help.
I guess you can tell I am pretty new at this stuff.
Pam
First of all, I don't think you are doing anything wrong.... the Ellis site has been a real pain in the "stern"...

try www.stevemorse.org

Use the "white" form.... type is surname as per transcription...

Doing a "sounds like" surname search helps...

Let me know if I answered your question... don't mind helping.

And as I said... near column 20, 21 etc... it is written... "served in Italian army..."

What about Palmira? Did you find out anything about her?

How romantic! I'd love to go to Italy (again)... but need to get my hands on a huge windfall first...... I hear that the USA has a huge lottery happening somewhere... Our lottery draw is tonight... (Canada) for a measly 17 million... all I could afford was one - $2 ticket...

maria
vaccher

Post by vaccher »

Maria,
Well after I wrote that last e-mail I got out Giovanni's birth certificate and was looking it over. Guess what! The same numbers that were written on the manifest above his last name were stamped on the back of his birth certificate. V-258777. I am so excited!!! I am absolutely sure it is him. The sister's name is not a big deal because we got the information from my husbands grandmother "Gemma" his wife. She is going to be 90 in April and has early stages of Alzhiemers disease. She said that they used to call her Mamie.

I am glad that I was not doing anything wrong in the Ellis site. I will try to make my search less specific.

I would love to get back to Italy again too. My kids are a little to young to plan a family vacation. I would need to win the lotto too. I never really play the lotto but as they say "You can't win if you don't play". But I would really like to do research on the rest of the family.

My mother-in-law's name was Maria (Gemma and Giovanni's Daughter) and my daughter is Olivia Maria. So I have a soft spot for Maria's! I can't thank you enough for the info. I feel like a detective that just got a huge lead.

Good luck in the lottery. I hope you win!
Pam Vaccher
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Pam, thank you for your message....

On the manifest, it also mentions that he was an Italian subject (the word "subject" is scribbled in there)...

Also, for future use, check out this website... I've researched hundreds of manifests... and I always go back to "Manifest Markings" for information.

Manifest Markings...
A Guide to Interpreting Passenger List Annotations

http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/

Steve Morse's contribution to "jewishgen" is truly amazing... a very smart and kind person.

I hope Gemma can see the manifest. I wish her well.

I guess Giovanni's parents ship records need to be located? And for sure Giovanni's father was named Giovanni?

Sent you a private message... glad you followed up with the info on his birth certificate.

maria :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

You'd know best if these were yours....

First Name: Ruggero
Last Name: Tinor
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: North Barcis
Date of Arrival: Mar 01, 1903
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: La Savoie
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0003

ruggero manifest

Mentions that father in Italy is Pietro
------------------------------------------

Here's a Peter (Pietro) Tinor living with his b-i-L Louie Fontin
Just wondering if this Peter or Pietro could be Ruggiero's father....

Tinor/Fontin 1920 census

-------------------------------------------

Finding this record was a thrill for me!!

New York Passenger List Record info (found on Ancestry.com)

as transcribed.......

about Cemma Tinor

Name: Cemma Tinor
Arrival Date: 21 Jul 1938
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1910
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Rex
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italian (North)
Line: 28
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: 6185
Page Number: 149
Friend's Name: Giovanni Dagostin
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: Bareis

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3610/gemma2yx.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------
mfjp
vaccher

Post by vaccher »

Maria,
What a gem you have been. I feel kind of silly although because I have been trying to look the same information up. You have the golden touch!
That has to be the right Gemma as her passport says she arrived in 1938. So you found this on Ancestry.com? I thought I tried that site. I was at Ellis Island this winter and was doing some research and one of the people that works there told me that I would have to look up Gemma on another site as she arrived in New York after 1925(I think that was the year). I had not looked it up yet as we just got the passport and birth certificates last weekend. (Cleaning out Gemma's house to sell).

I do not think the Ruggero is the same man. Gemma's father died when she was a year old in 1917. He was away fighting in WWI at the time. my husband does not think that he or his wife ever came to America. Again thank you so much. I am so glad you read my post.
Thanks, Pam
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

vaccher wrote:Maria,
What a gem you have been. I feel kind of silly although because I have been trying to look the same information up. You have the golden touch!
That has to be the right Gemma as her passport says she arrived in 1938. So you found this on Ancestry.com? I thought I tried that site. I was at Ellis Island this winter and was doing some research and one of the people that works there told me that I would have to look up Gemma on another site as she arrived in New York after 1925(I think that was the year). I had not looked it up yet as we just got the passport and birth certificates last weekend. (Cleaning out Gemma's house to sell).
Hi again,

Thank you! I found this info through Ancestry... which keeps on updating the databases with new records... thus charging more for the subscriptions... :? Seems like there are many who are not re-subscribing due to high costs...

The ship records after 1924 are still a recent addition to Ancestry... so if you tried to look a few months ago, you wouldn't have found them.

You were at the real Ellis Island? I would love to go one day... just don't know how emotional I might get once I get there... You can order copies of manifests there? Same day delivery??? I still haven't checked my lottery ticket...

I know you can order online... just wondered what you can get there as a tourist...

Also, I think film can be ordered at a family history center for this manifest...

Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: 6185
Page Number: 149

Unfortunately... for this series of manifests, it seems that Ancestry does not publish the second page... (and this is where other info... such as her husband's info would appear)...

I was glad to locate it, am glad to hear that Gemma is alive, and glad that you are involved with Gemma's family history...

Maria :P
vaccher

Post by vaccher »

Maria,
My sister and a distant aunt researched my family many years ago. So when I recieved this information I started a family tree on the wall. Well my husband likes to joke that his side has "Dutch Elm Disease". I wanted to do the research for my husbands side some time ago when my inlaws were still living and unfortunately did not know that they were going to be taken from us so young or so quickly. But we are very lucky to have Gemma still with us and she has so many stories to tell. Her life would make a great movie. In the past 6 months I have cleaned my in laws house out and Gemmas too. While we are cleaning I keep finding wonderful little treasures. It is hard to get rid of so many things.

I was looking on Ancestry.com and realized that I have to join to recieve the info. Do you think that it is a good deal to join? I could try it for a month and see what I can accomplish in that time. After my husbands grandparents everyone else is in Italy. Would they have all that information or would I be better off writing to the local towns for birth, marriage and death certificates? They have a class at our local library on how to research your genealogy. I went last year but I didn't have a lot of info to get started with.

I went with my mom, sister, and niece to New York in December and we toured Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. It was a very moving experience. The tour is amazing. Our tour guide was really good and she made you sit back and reflect on what happened in those walls. The photgraphs are so beautiful. If you ever get a chance I highly recommend this visit. I just wish I had more paper work with me so I could try to get the manifests. I am definetely going to order them.

I think this is a wonderful thing to pass down to my children and their children. I love the history and the stories.

How long have you been doing research on your family? I am sure you have gone way way back. I really want to thank you again. You sure lit a fire under me. My husband has been fighting me for time on the computer the past 3 days.

Pam
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Everyone,

I don't mean to butt in but I notice you asked if it was worth it to get a subscription to ancestry and I though since I have one I could answer...It is really expensive. I thought it was $299.00, but if you're Canadian its more like $365.00 a year! I have the full feature pachage. You can get it monthly, but I think its alittle more if you do it like that.

My advice: I would gather the info I had and either go to a public library where the feature is free, as I learned from Trish or just order the basic package for the USA. Is it worth it...Yes it was at the time because I was impatient and didn't have the time or energy to go to a library. I like the comfort of my home and being able to research when I want to and I like being able to share it. I'd hate to think I subscribed to find only a few people! I used it for what I needed it for and now I only use it for others. But, because its always updated, there's always new information.

Hope this helps in answering some of that question for you! And go ahead and take the course. It sounds like fun. Also, if you stay on this forum, Maria and the others (too many to mention, all equally wonderful) will teach you a lot!

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Maria,

I just wanted to know if this sounds familiar:

My husband has been fighting me for time on the computer the past 3 days.

I think we had this conversation not too long ago! :lol:
Don't worry, he'll give up before you will!

Nuccia :D
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Just noticed that Nuccia has put in a message... hey you....!!

It seems that there are many disgruntled husbands out there (maybe wives ?)... They need their own special forum...

Me personally... I had to stop talking about my family...

He too wants the computer to research power tools... because one power tool a month just ain't enough... and now I've realised that I have been on the computer for 2 hours and it only felt like 15 minutes...

I usually research late at night when all are sleeping...
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ricbru earlier posted that there is film that can be rented at a nearby Family History Center, just click the links he provided to find out where...

Unfortunately, film notes are limited...

Italy, Udine, Barcis - Civil registration
Registri dello stato civile, 1871-1910 Barcis (Udine)

Civil registration (births, banns, marriages, deaths, residency records) for Barcis, Udine, Italy. Some years missing. Includes indexes.

You can use Ancestry.com free of charge at a Family History Center if they do have computers and an internet connection. Your best bet is to phone them and find out...

Also, bigger Public Libraries may have film readers and an option to order film.

Trish has detailed info as to how to order film...
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Never too late to make a movie.... if Gemma feels comfortable, maybe you can make a home movie with her talking about her life and family... if she’s not comfortable with a movie, then ask to record her on an audio cassette tape.

Unfortunately, Ancestry.com doesn’t really have much on Italian documents... except for the wonderful collections of manifests...
I know they have limited “Palermo Birthsâ€Â