Lost and Confused....HELP!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Lost and Confused....HELP!!!

Post by Athena »

I've been working on my 2nd great-grandparents Gioachino Prestianni and Damiana Gulino. I know they had my great-grandmother Maria, and through searching Ellis Island I've found other children.

So I started searching Nati, Morti, records for months trying to find relatives and piece people together.
With doing so, I've linked Gioachino to his brother Giovanni with help from Eduita. It turns out that they each married a women with the same first and last name Damiana Gulino, I think their cousins, that's my guess anyway.

So for my second great-grandparents; I found some of their children and now became confused and lost on one of the children, Vincenza Prestianni. I found a record of birth and a record of death and also her with her mother on the Ellis Island site after she passed away.

The birth says she was born April 1894, death says she died in 1895

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... 5&wc=MDBD-
129%3A245875201%2C247666401&cc=1947613

This is Ellis Island file, It says female born in 1896 same yr as Vincenzo https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

This is the birth of their son Vincenzo....https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

I'm asking for help because I'm so confused. I'm starting to think there's another Giaochino Prestianni out there married to a women named Damiana Gulino.

Thank you,
Tracy
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Lost and Confused....HELP!!!

Post by adelfio »

I found a record of birth and a record of death and also her with her mother on the Ellis Island site after she passed away
Most likely a typo on the shipmanifest Vincenza/Vincenzo can you post the right shipmanifest link

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I checked the records of Castelbuono only a Vincenzo Prestianni born that year Do you have any census showing a Vincenza

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Marty,

I have nothing other then the records I posted. I've been going crazy over this and shocked that their child died so young, so heart breaking.
Gioachino's brother Giovanni and his wife, their daughter Ann died in 1896 at a yr old as well. She was a twin. Her sister was Nunzia. Which is interesting because it says that Gioachinno had a daughter Nunzia but haven't found her birth record along with a daughter Concetta.
I write all the names down and page #'s in case I need to go back to them but nothing. Just brick walls.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

What seems weird is that in 1905 there was no Vincenzo nor Vincenza living with them:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1463113
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Lets get a plan here first to get things in order from the records of Castelbuono
01/25/1885 marriage of Gioachino Prestianni son of Santo Prestianni and Lucia Minutella.
and Damiana Gulino daughter of Epifano Gulino and Antonia Failla
PG LINK

CHILDREN
02/07/1886 Birth of Lucia Prestianni in Castelbuono daughter of Gioachino Prestianni and Damiana Gulino
PG LINK

06/09/1890 Birth of Maria Prestianni in Castelbuono daughter of Gioachino Prestianni and Damiana Gulino
PG LINK

04/13/1894 Birth of Vincenza Prestianni in Castelbuono daughter of Gioachino Prestianni and Damiana Gulino died in 1895
PG LINK

10/20/1896 Birth of Vincenzo Prestianni in Castelbuono son of Gioachino Prestianni and Damiana Gulino
PG LINK

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Marty and Pippo :D

Did you notice that the margin note on "Vincenzo's" birth indicates She married with the name Vincenza, in 1920, to Angelo ... ? :?:

T.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Athena - I do not want to offend you by suggesting something that may seem obvious, but I've been researching my family now for quite a while - at least a year if not two and I JUST discovered great benefits of using a Binder. Who knew?

Although it is August, I’m planning on Christmas with this Binder. As I wrap up my research, I want to give my sister and my sons the results of the research I’ve done our family. I cannot believe how much it has helped to make a messy situation clear. I created a dummy binder for me – to ensure that it will be logical and useful to them. Here’s my idea:

- Overview of entire Family Tree – add a poster that is inclusive of the whole gang.
- Binder
--Divider with Surname
-- Family tree with key individuals for one line (ex, paternal surname)
-- Family Group Sheets (via genealogy software, or online form)
-- Source Usage (Citation details)
--An option is to include information on the Communes which are important to your family.[/list][/list]

Considering how our ancestors were named, there are so many Giovannas, Giuseppes, and Marias sprinkled in the family tree, it is very hard NOT to get confused. For me, as I grapple with the Italian language, even with translators, Trafford Cole, and the Oxford Italian mini-dictionary, it is easy to lose track of information, miss it entirely, and then be caught in the web of research tunnel- its infuriating! With the binder, I can research one line at a time, easily, and if questions come up, I write it down on a post it, put it in the correct section divider and look it up later. As I answer questions, the post-its get tossed! It may be a small accomplishment, but considering the enormity of our task, it is great fun!

Marty has given you the outline for the research, so I thought I’d pass along one way of organizing your research that might help you keep these folks straight. I hope it is helpful. I still get stuck; but I find it easier to trace the issue, track the date, and use the process of elimination to get to the hard facts. Anyhow, thought I’d pass along what has worked for me….
Peonygirl :D
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:Marty and Pippo :D

Did you notice that the margin note on "Vincenzo's" birth indicates She married with the name Vincenza, in 1920, to Angelo ... ? :?:

T.
Based on this margin note, and the arrival manifest in 1904, (Child Vincenza, age 8) I believe that the birth act was in error regarding the gender of the child in 1896, and was probably corrected in 1920, when Vincenza married and they searched for her birth act.

As to the 1905 NYS Census, Pippo :-D, you will probably agree that the age of "Concetta" listed in the census matches the age of Vincenza who arrived in 1904. PERHAPS they are one and the same? :D and she later returned to Italy to marry?

While the 1920 marriages are not available online, it might be a good idea to write for the marriage of Vincenza Prestianni and Angelo (cannot read his surname) - Act #39 in Castelbuono, 14 February 1920. AND - maybe there would be a correction on the given name included in the allegati - wouldn't that be nice? :D

T.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

:oops: Always look at ALL records! Thanks, Tessa!
I had not even opened Vincenzo's birth record. Of course, she was a female, and married Angelo Guarnieri.
Here is his birth record:

Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

WOW!! Thank you all for you help and thoughts on this. I need to take this all in.
Though I'm still confused about Vincenza as I found a birth and death. U guys know better then I do about these records and could read Italian.

Marty ur awesome!!!
May I ask are those all the kids they had? As in Ellis Island record is show a Concetta, haven't found a birth record on her. How do u find these records so quickly? I'v been looking for months...LOL

Ponygirl.
Thank you for your help and your binder idea, will do this once my kids go back to school.
I know Italian families name their children after family members. It does get confusing after awhile.

Thank you PippoM, now I have to search for kids under that name..LOL

Question to everyone,
How come they don't have earlier records online or even let's say 1900,1910,1920.

Again Thank you all
Tracy
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

On your ancestry tree you have some mistakes one of them is this Giuseppe Prestianni is not a sibling of Gioachino Prestianni and Damiana Gulino

03/25/1900 Birth of Giuseppe Prestianni in Castelbuono son of Domenico Prestianni and Anna La Cicero
PG LINK

Marty

Marty
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Ok. I will remove him. What else do u see?
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

About birth and death records that don't appear to coincide, here is a thought and,please, this is not intended to put another wrinkle in your search process.
It is common practice of Italians to name children after grandparents. Sometimes, if a child that carries a grandparent name dies as a child it is possible that a second child, born after the death of the first child, is given the same name as the first child. My own mother and a sister born and dead before my mother's birth were named after their grandmother. I became aware of this during my own search, but I know of other cases as well. About all the children with the same name, well, I have an uncle who had four boys. When the four boys got married their first male born was named after his grandfather and the first girl born was named after her grandmother. So there are four boys (first cousins) with the same name and last name and three girls (again first cousins) with the same name and last name. One of my cousin had only two boys an that is the reason why there are three and not four girls with the same name and last name.
Neil