Surname Zana; Ono San Pietro, Brescia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jsthomas64

Surname Zana; Ono San Pietro, Brescia

Post by jsthomas64 »

I've been able to trace back my great-grandfather, Alberto Zana, to Ono San Pietro, a very small town (less than 1,000) in Brescia, Lombardia.
I know they took the boat to America in 1920.
I need to know where to go for information from here. I tried the commune website, but it is all in Italian and unfortunately I do not read Italian that well. For small towns like this will most of the older records (marriage, birth, death, military, etc) be kept with a local government office, would they be in a larger city in Brescia or would there be some in the local church?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that in this small town Zana is a common last name, should this help or hurt my search?

Thanks!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Zana; Ono San Pietro, Brescia

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

Do you have the ship's manifest for Alberto? Also, do you know that he came into the USA at least twice?

Here is the manifest for 1910. It states he left his wife, Giovanna Partenzana, in Italy and was going to go see his mother.

Page 1

Page 2

Here is the manifest for 1920. He left his Aunt, Maria Mancini, in Italy and took his wife, Giovanna Partenzana, and childrent to Monagahela, PA to see his mother.

Page 1

Page 2

Still poking around
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

Here is the official website of Ono San Pietro

You can always use AltaVista Translatorto tranlsate the whole page into English.

In order to write for records, here is the address

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Ono San Pietro
Piazzale Donatori di Sangue, 1
25050 Ono S. Pietro (Bs)

Here is a link that will help you translate your letter from English into Italian.
Letter for Stato Civile

I hope this helps
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
jsthomas64

Post by jsthomas64 »

Thank you, that should be a big help and a great start.
What sort of records would be most helpful to request? Would my great-grandparents birth certificates have the names of their parents on them?

For 'common folks' is there a point in time where the records usually run dry (i.e. late 1700's or late 1800's)?

I had heard the name Partezana before in reference to my great-grandmother, who was also from the same town. Could the similarity of the Zana and Partezana names hold any significance or is it most likely just a coincedence?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks again!!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

jsthomas64 wrote:Thank you, that should be a big help and a great start.
What sort of records would be most helpful to request? Would my great-grandparents birth certificates have the names of their parents on them?

For 'common folks' is there a point in time where the records usually run dry (i.e. late 1700's or late 1800's)?

I had heard the name Partezana before in reference to my great-grandmother, who was also from the same town. Could the similarity of the Zana and Partezana names hold any significance or is it most likely just a coincedence?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks again!!
Civil records in Italy starts officially on 1870 after Unification of Italy.
In some places start on 1809. If you are lucky you can go back to 1500 with the church records (thanks to Concile of Trento)
Records written before 1800 are unreadable, who wrote the record did it in a bad way, unreadable for us.
bye Riccardo :lol:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, here are the data of Alberto:
Albert ZANA Birth Date: 8 Jan 1889 Death Date: Oct 1983 Social Security Number: 272-10-6952 State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Ohio Death Residence Localities ZIP Code: 44114 Localities: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, again me: however the correct spelling of Giovanna's surname is PARTESANA; on the ship's manifest is wrote ParteZana, but Partezana don't exist in Italy...
here are all Zana in Ono S. Pietro
and here all Partesana
..........regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jsthomas64

Post by jsthomas64 »

Thank you very much for the help, I have also just received a response from the Commune of Ono San Pietro, the seem to be quite willing to help. Here is a link to a beautiful picture of the town --> http://www.intercam.it/tomo/paesi/ono/ono3.htm
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:wink: suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
louis_dean_partazana

partesana-partezana-partazana

Post by louis_dean_partazana »

Hello! You must be a realative of mine. I am Louis Dean Partazana, my father, Louis Paul Partazana, his father Louis Calvin Partazana, his father Paul Partazana (we recently found his immigration papers spelling it Partezana. I have been told his father was Giovanni Partesana. who is buried in Monangahala Pa. my email is partazana@yahoo.com. Please contact me.
petals

Post by petals »

My Grandfather came from Nadro Italy, his last name was Zana, then changed to Zeno when he came to the US. His and his father's name was Baptista and his mother's name was Maria, her maiden name was Appoloina and they to went to visit relatives in Managohela, Pa. When my grandfather married, he settled in Huton, Ohio. But I have no records on his parents, except for his father's trave to the US to go to Monogahela, Pa.
cparte01

Post by cparte01 »

Both my grandparents came from Ono San Pietro and settled in southwestern Pennsylvania area (Managohela, Bentlyville, etc.). Alex and Lena (BONFADINI) Partezana.

GRAZIADEO1 PARTEZANA was born August 25, 1876 in Ono St. Pietro, Brescia, Italy. He married GIACOMINA FORMENTELLI.

Children of GRAZIADEO PARTEZANA and GIACOMINA FORMENTELLI are:
ALESSANDRO2 PARTEZANA, b. November 11, 1898.
CATHERINA PARTEZANA, b. December 28, 1899, Ono St Pietro, Brescia, Italy.
ALEXANDER PARTEZANA, b. February 08, 1903, Monongahela, Washington county, Pennsylvania; d. August 15, 1982, 2:20 PM Olmsted Manor, North Olmsted, Cuyahoga county, Ohio.
MATTIA GIACOMO PARTEZANA, b. February 09, 1905, Ono St Pietro, Brescia, Italy; d. March 13, 1988, Bentleyville Pennsylvania.

The Partezana history starts out with Bartolomeo Zana in 1577. There was an agreement to branch off to Partezana.

The spelling of several names are very questionable. Sometimes because the lettering was not clear to begin with and sometimes its just sloppy.

On the start of the catholic church records in Ono San Pietro it states (translated from the Italian by Norma (Partezana) Peachy) :

To seem that the surname Partezana of this family have left origin and shelter by the mutual written agreement Bartolomeo Zana speaking in dialect of Valley Camonica, they saying Bartholomeo Zana and in manner like pleasing make Zana and also the relationship of sound of the letters B. P. clearly and introduce by saying Partezana.

Please contact me at Chris.Partezana @ Gmail.com