Alessandro & Paola (Dioguardi) Albian (Cefala Diana, Sicily)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Leoncavallo

Alessandro & Paola (Dioguardi) Albian (Cefala Diana, Sicily)

Post by Leoncavallo »

Alessandro
B. 1870 or 1871 in Palermo
D. December 24, 1936 in Cefala Diana
Paola
B: April 23, 1878 in Cefala Diana
D: July 26, 1965 in Cefala Diana

They had at least one son, Marco (1898-1991)
Leoncavallo

Re: Alessandro & Paola (Dioguardi) Albian (Cefala Diana, Sicily)

Post by Leoncavallo »

Does anyone have any information on them?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

It appears that Paola was born in 1876 and not 1878

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2051639

Her father Marco was age 32. Her mother was Rosa Costanza.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

birth of Marco Albian July 1, 1898; his father Alessandro, age 25, was of unknown parents

Leoncavallo

Post by Leoncavallo »

erudita74 wrote:It appears that Paola was born in 1876 and not 1878

Her father Marco was age 32. Her mother was Rosa Costanza.
Thank you!

Do you know anything about Alessandro or his family?
Leoncavallo

Post by Leoncavallo »

erudita74 wrote:birth of Marco Albian July 1, 1898; his father Alessandro, age 25, was of unknown parents

Thank you!

Does unknown parents mean that nobody knew who his parents were, or just the person creating the record didn't know?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I've been trying to find their marriage record in the hope that we would learn more info about Alessandro but have had no luck so far. When a document reads that the person was d'Ignoti (of unknown parents) that tells us that he/she had been abandoned soon after birth. The person's surname would then normally be one that had been invented by a town official and assigned to him/her after birth. It is possible that Alessandro had been born in another town and then abandoned in Cefala, or that he may have simply relocated there as an adult. I would have expected the marriage to have taken place in the bride's town, but I've had no luck finding the record there. Finding his birth act might yield some additional info. Sometimes the natural parents of an abandoned child came forward at some later date and recognized the child as their natural one, and that info would be usually be indicated in the margin of the child's birth act. Often times, the parents were not married at the time of the birth and very poor, which could be the reasons why they may have abandoned their infant. Only a small percentage of abandoned children in Italy, however, were ever recognized and reclaimed at some later point. If a child was recognized at some later point, then a town notary would have changed the child's surname to match that of the "so-called" natural father. In those days, there was no DNA to prove paternity or maternity, so the notary only had the word of the individuals coming forward to say they were the natural parents. They did though have to bring witnesses with them to attest to their identities, as well as describe the items which they had left with the infant when it was abandoned. The town had made an inventory of such items when the infant was presented at the town hall by whoever had found it. The heritage of most abandoned children, unfortunately, remains a mystery forever.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm guessing that they married in 1897, but unfortunately the only records online for that year are birth records. I don't see their marriage record in any of the other years in Cefala`, nor do I see any marriage publications (banns of marriage which would have been among the Cefala records, even if they married somewhere else.

I did find allegati (marriage supporting documents) for two of Paola's siblings-a brother named Filippo Dioguardi born on April 18, 1869 and a sister named Carmela Dioguardi born on May 12, 1867. From those records, I know that Marco Dioguardi's father was Filippo Dioguardi and Rosa Costanza's father was a Salvatore Costanza.

Erudita
Leoncavallo

Post by Leoncavallo »

Erudita -

Thank you so much!

I have 3 follow-up questions!

1. If Alessandro relocated to Cefala Diana as an adult, does that mean he was not abandoned, but just that no one in Cefala Diana knew anything about his origins?

2. Do "Albian" and "Dioguardi" mean anything in Italian?

3. Are there more records in existence for Cefala Diana that are not on the internet?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

To answer your questions-
1. Even if Alessandro was originally from somewhere else, his records in Cefala` would not have indicated that he was of unknown parentage unless he actually was. To marry, for example, he would have had to provide a copy of his birth act. Regardless of where he was born, the birth act of an abandoned infant is basically a description of the abandonment and discovery by someone=for example, if he was left on someone's doorstep, then that info would be in his birth act, including a description of articles of clothing, religious medals, etc, that had been left with him. Or he may have been abandoned at the wheel. There were institutions in Italy that were established so that children could be anonymously abandoned. The institution would have a mechanism known as a wheel. The person abandoning the child would place the infant on the wheel and ring a bell. A nun, or some person inside the institution whose job it was to receive the abandoned infants, would than pull a cord to rotate the wheel and bring the infant safely inside. These institutions were established to eradicate the problem of children being abandoned in the streets or in the fields which, in older centuries, had been done. Before the establishment of such facilities, abandoned infants were often eaten by animals or would die from exposure to the elements. Rarely would someone take an infant home, as many people were poor and already had big families, so an infant was just an additional mouth to feed. In previous centuries, however, an older child abandoned in the streets had a better chance of being taken in by a family, than did an infant, as he could serve as farm labor or help with household chores.

2. I don't know about the surname Albian. As I told you, since Alessandro was abandoned, it was an invented or made up surname. If we locate his birth record, you might find the town official giving variations of this same surname to the children whose births were recorded right before or after his. The surname Dioguardi, however, is a compound name made up of two Italian words -Dio which is God and guardi which means watch. I know there is a surname spelled as Diotiguardi which means God watch over you, so I think Dioguardi is just a shortened variation of that surname leaving out the "ti" for the word "you."

3.Here's a link to the records available for the town of Cefala`. The ones with the little camera are the records currently online. The other microfilms have to be rented and used at a local family history center.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... 20Diana%22

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
Leoncavallo

Post by Leoncavallo »

Erudita,

Thank you!

I know that some other Sicilian Villages have church records that go back to the 16th century. Even though there are no church records for Cefala Diana on FamilySearch, is it possible that they still exist, but just haven't been digitized?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You'll have to contact the parish for church records. Not sure it would have a copy of the marriage record from about 1897, but you could email and see. You will have to make a donation to the parish to have the priest or one of his clerks do research for you.

Parrocchia S. Francesco Di Paola
Indirizzo: Piazza Umberto I 22
Cap: 90030
Città: Cefala' Diana (PA)
Tel: 0918201018

parrocchiasanfrancesco@alice.it
Parroco: GIUSEPPE D'ACCARDI
Leoncavallo

Post by Leoncavallo »

Thank you Erudita!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Sorry that I haven't been able to find any additional info about Alessandro. Hopefully you'll have luck with the parish, at least concerning the marriage record.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Leoncavallo wrote:Thank you Erudita!
I've had more time this morning and just discovered that there was a second Paola born to Marco and Rosa. The first one, born in 1876, died at age 11 months on April 13, 1877. The second one was born on Oct 29, 1878. I was hoping to find a marriage notation in the margin, but no luck. I am double checking that there weren't any additional females born to this couple with the first name Paola.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... %3D2051639

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... %3D2051639