Family surname Cito from Castroregio, Calabria, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cito

Family surname Cito from Castroregio, Calabria, Italy

Post by cito »

My grandfather came to the US in 1913 with his mother and baby sister. I have seen the Ellis Island manifests that show his arrival. I have a birth document of sort from Italy that I had translated today. Two things I am stumped on. There seems to be no Cito surname in the Calabria region that I can find. The other is on his birth document it says the following:
This certifies.

Registered from native part # 27 of the year 1909. That cito young son of francesco and of the it was Camodeca Teresa, and been born in this Commune of Castrongio on the fourth of the month of December of the year 1909. Released to request of the Agency Comfort. Of Italy in Youngstown, Ohio.

What does native part #27 refer to?

I look forward to hearing from someone to help me out on these two issues. By the way when my grandfather arrived the surname Cito later became Chito in America.

Melissa
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Family surname Cito from Castroregio, Calabria, Italy

Post by ricbru »

His birth act is the 27th one of the year 1909 of that comune,
bye Riccardo
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Is this the family you are inquiring about? I just took it from the 1930 census which I'm sure you've probably seen.

Record Frank Chito Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1890 Italy Head
View Record Rose Chito Frank Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1894 Wife
View Record John Chito Frank Chito,
Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1911 Son
View Record Anthony Chito Frank Chito,
Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1915 Son
View Record Joseph Chito Frank Chito,
Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1916 Son
View Record Angeline Chito Frank Chito,
Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1917 Daughter
View Record Carl Chito Frank Chito,
Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1922 Son
View Record Teressa Chito Frank Chito,
Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1925 Daughter
View Record Frank Chito Frank Chito,
Rose Chito Youngstown, Mahoning, OH abt 1928 Son
Results per page

It's quite a large family! God bless them! :D

Nuccia :D
cito

Post by cito »

That's them. How did you find the census for them. Do the dates refer to birth years? The John Chito was the son born in 1909 not 1911 but there appears to be some daughters missing. Are there any other cesus info about the death of Rose Chito wife and another wife and other children. This is a very complex family I am finding my grandfather came from.

Thank you for your help.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Again,

I found the census on ancestry.com...it's a paid only database so you need a subscription to view it. You could contact a local library that has ancestry and view from there or you can sign up for a 14 day free trial period...just remember not to order on a weekend and to make sure you cancel before the trial ends. It can be costly.

As for the birth years, they are often off by a few years so don't place too much importance on that.

Is this Francesco's draft card information?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Recordinfo
about Francisco Cito
Name: Francisco Cito
City: Youngstown
County: Mahoning
State: Ohio
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 23 Mar 1888
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1851306
DraftBoard: 1

Born March 23, 1888 (which makes him about 29 yrs old here) in Crispiano Lecce, Italy. He worked for the City of Youngtown Ohio in the Water Department. He was still a alien at the time but was married with children.

I'll poke around to see what I can find on Rose.

cito

Post by cito »

That's him! The name was Cito in Italy and when they came here it was changed to Chito. Supposedly he brought wife number 1 Teresa Rose Camodeca Cito over from Italy in 1913 along with my grandfather John then 4 years old and a baby daughter Rose 11 months old. They had some more kids, Teresa(wife) died and he brought over wife number 2 Teresa Campbell who had a couple of her own kids and together they had more kids. Very confusing. I found all this from my aunt but we don't have birth dates on everyone at this time and I am also looking for great grandpa Frank family lineage in Italy such as siblings and parents. Any info you can find would be helpful. Thank you.

Melissa (cito)
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Melissa,

You said he brought over wife nuber 2 Teresa Campbell...where did he bring her from? It's obviously not an Italian last name, so was this an English woman or an Italian woman going by her first husbands surname? Do you know or can you find out? Where did he live with her once they married?

cito

Post by cito »

From what I know, wife number 2 Teresa Campbell was married prior to my great grandfather, she had 2 children Angelina and Tat?. I am not sure when she came over, from what my aunt told me there was some secrecy because of her prior marriage. That is all I know about her. I am not sure where she was from, there is rumor he went back to Italy to arrange her coming over. So confusing I know. Controversy in an Italian family. I am trying to put the family tree together and my aunt is sending me some info that might help. Once they were married they lived in youngstown, ohio.

Melissa
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

nuccia wrote:Hi Again,

I found the census on ancestry.com...it's a paid only database so you need a subscription to view it. You could contact a local library that has ancestry and view from there or you can sign up for a 14 day free trial period...just remember not to order on a weekend and to make sure you cancel before the trial ends. It can be costly.

As for the birth years, they are often off by a few years so don't place too much importance on that.

Is this Francesco's draft card information?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Recordinfo
about Francisco Cito
Name: Francisco Cito
City: Youngstown
County: Mahoning
State: Ohio
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 23 Mar 1888
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1851306
DraftBoard: 1

Born March 23, 1888 (which makes him about 29 yrs old here) in Crispiano Lecce, Italy. He worked for the City of Youngtown Ohio in the Water Department. He was still a alien at the time but was married with children.

I'll poke around to see what I can find on Rose.

Why don't you write and request his birth record?
Now Crispiano belongs to the province of Taranto, no more to province of Lecce

This is the civil records office address

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
P.zza Madonna Della Neve, 3 -
74012 Crispiano (TA)
Italy

mail info@comune.crispiano.ta.it

or contact

Archivio di Stato di Taranto

http://archivi.beniculturali.it/UCBAWEB ... me=TARANTO

or rent Crispiano civil record microfilm to FHL (mormon church)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

here some churches of Crispiano where to write for church records

http://www.parrocchie.it/gear/qlist.htm ... d_cognome=

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
cito

Post by cito »

How do I write to the civil records office? In English or Italian? Are there any specific details to include in the request? I thank you for the help.

Melissa
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Melissa,

Riccardo's given you some very good advice..and very good resoursces to work with.

I'm just going to add this website that you might want to look through to see if anything interesting pops up.

http://resources.rootsweb.com/USA/OH/Mahoning/

Meanwhile, I need to go check on my daughter and will check back with you later! Let me know if you find anything useful in this website!

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

cito wrote:How do I write to the civil records office? In English or Italian? Are there any specific details to include in the request? I thank you for the help.

Melissa
Melissa, I suggest you to write in Italian, because people working at civil records office not always know the english language.
If the manager of the civil record office don't understand what you are requesting, he is not going to write you back.
I also suggest you to put in the envelope, another envelope and an international reply coupon.
So the civil record office will send you a certificate of birth, written in Italian.
If you want to read the copy of the original civil act, rent this microfilm to Family History Library nearest to you

Nati, matrimoni, pubblicazioni, morti, cittadinanze (Crispiano solo) 1883-1893 VAULT INTL Film

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
ANDREAMILLER

Post by ANDREAMILLER »

My grandfather was born in castroregio. The name was John Camadeca. I'd like to know more about the town he was born in, and when he came into the United States.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi andreamiller,

Welcome. If you want to start your own post we will try to help you. Its just easier to keep family info separate from each other.

To start a new topic, just click on the new topic icon below and you can either copy and paste the info you provided above or create new info. Try if you can to include his approx. year of birth and wife's name (as well as maiden name if known), any childrens names and/or siblings name. When did he cover over and where did he settle?

Look forward to hearing from you.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ANDREAMILLER

Post by ANDREAMILLER »

My grandfather was born, Feb 14, 1895. His mothers maiden name was Degaurd. I beleive he came to the States when he was 2yrs old, about 1897?.