Birth records for Gagliani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gagsuk

Birth records for Gagliani

Post by gagsuk »

Hi
I am looking for the birth record of my father FRANCHI or FRENCHI GAGLIANI born 16th March 1926 in Capannori, Lucca. father's name ANNIBALE GAGLIANI and mother MATHILDE GAGLIANI. He moved to the UK around 1942.

I have the remains of his birth certificate, but it isn't all legible, and searching online has drawn a blank.

I would be grateful for any help.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Birth records for Gagliani

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Welcome to the forum. :)

You may like to scan and post the 1826 birth record that you have and we can take a look at it. There are vital records on line for Capannori but not for the years which you are needing. They may be on microfilm?

There are records at this site for Capannori 1807-1813: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Capannori/

And here at Family Search 1866-1929: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811 You would need to sign in to view these.

Franchi/Frenchi – possibly Franco or a nickname of Francesco, Franchino,

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Possibly the parents of your father were Annibale Gagliani and Matilde Petroni.

Marriage Annibale Gagliani - Matilde Petroni on July 13, 1907 in Capannori:

You can request the "Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita" of your father to the UFFICIO STATO CIVILE in Capannori

http://www2.comune.capannori.lu.it/node/853

UFFICIO STATO CIVILE

Piazza Aldo Moro, 1
55012 Capannori (LU)

DIRIGENTE
DOTT. GIUSEPPE MARIANETTI

RESPONSABILE: Dott.ssa Bullentini Tiziana

Tel. 0583 428226 - 0583 428322- 0583 428228
Fax. 0583 428230
E-mail: stato.civile@comune.capannori.lu.it
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

gagsuk- Here's a link (I hope it works) for the Pubblicazioni for the Matrimonio record that mmogno posted just above:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811

It's seven (7) pages in total. Giovanni Carlo Annibale Gagliani's father was Giuseppe Gagliani and his mother was Letizia Ciabattari. Annibale was born 14 Aug 1882. The birth record is linked below (again, fingers crossed).

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811

Both were residents of Segromigno Monte, a small hamlet/village of Capannori. From this record, we also glean that Giuseppe was age 32 when Annibale was born, thereby making Giuseppe born ca. 1850. Also, Giuseppe's padre (Annibale's "nonno") was Iacopo Gagliani. Some very nice additional info to have there. You'll also note from this birth record that the 1907 marriage to Matilde Petroni is annotated in the margin.

Back to the Pubblicazioni record, Matilde's genitori were Francesco Petroni and Rosa Cardella. Both were also residents of Segromigno Monte. Interesting to also note the misspelling of Annibale "Galliani" in the 20 Jun 2007 Certificate.

My wife's great-great grandmother was a Gagliani (Maria Teresa). I know almost nothing of her - or the Gagliani cognome, for that matter - other than I've confirmed (a few times over) that she's a direct ancestor of my wife. Teresa Gagliani's husband, Giovanni Pieri, who himself was born ca. 1817. That means Teresa was probably born in the years subsequent (with Italian men typically taking wives either their age or younger).

Giovanni died in 1891 in Badia di Cantignano (another hamlet of Capannori). His death record states that he was a vedovo (widower), so Teresa preceded him in death. Even though I have successfully mined hundreds of records from Capannori (a very conservative number there, BTW), I still have not been able to find Teresa's Atti di Morte. Admittedly, it hasn't been a strong focal point for me over the past couple of years, but is still a source of (ongoing) frustration.

I hope all of this is of some interest you.

Mark
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Well, this string has been good for me. I managed to find Teresa's Atti di Morte this morning. Was in the 1884 Registro, which is conspicuously missing the corresponding indice. Harder won, but even more rewarding. :D
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

A couple of unanticipated follow-up questions here for the Board...

Even though I understand that that these two names are distinct, I'm fairly certain that I've seen circumstances wherein a "Gagliani" was referred to as "Galliani" in an Italian record (or vice-versa). However, I've never documented same (never had reason to, really). I get that the English pronunciation would be very similar, but can anyone here speak to having witnessed this misspelling before, whether it be in Capannori/Lucca or elsewhere in Italy?

The two records that speak to this circumstance are attached. I'm virtually certain that the Teresa Gagliani in the 1884 Atti di Morte is a "hit" (see Numero 196). The spouse reference to Giovanni Pieri reference is spot-on (he died years later, in 1891) and the Silvestro Pelosi appearance speaks to a long-since confirmed son-in-law. His age of 34 is right-on, too.

The reference to Elisabetta Marsetti as Teresa's madre in her death record led me to the second record attached - see Numero 375. This is where the "Galliani" spelling issue comes up. (Maria) Elisabetta's deceased spouse's cognome is noted as being Allessandro Galliani, not Gagliani. Troubling. There's also the matter of the spouse being named "Allessandro" here, whereas Teresa's Atti di Morte shows her father as being "Leandro". Another similar name, but not exact!

I suppose the ultimate question is this: if I was 100% certain that the death record for Teresa Gagliani is accurate (meaning she IS the family connection), would any of you then also 100% conclude that the Elisabetta Marsetti death record is NOT for this particular Teresa Gagliani's mother?

This may seem the "obvious" conclusion to many of you, but this 1868 record certainly "feels" right (among other things, Elisabetta would've been approximately 38 years old in and around the year 1817, i.e., when Teresa was born - a distinct possibility). Beyond that, call it an instinct here, which I actually have learned to develop somewhat... yet also admit that I'm not always correct in this regard, too.

I welcome any and all opinions...

Thanks,
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It's hard to say...well, as to Teresa's death, I would tend to say it's the right one, as the two spellings can overlap in the XIX century. Also, I'd say Elisabetta's death is the right one (Leandro and Alessandro sound similar, they are referred to someone who might have died long before, so it might have been spelled incorrectly by the declarants).
But you can't be sure, and you'd need a double check with other documents, not available online
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
gagsuk

Post by gagsuk »

mjclayton1, thank you so much for all the information. It's all very interesting and helpful. It certainly ties in as I had heard them mention Segromigno Monte years ago.

That's very interesting about the Galliani spelling, I have never come across that spelling myself , or in any of my familes documents that I have been able to piece together. There are certainly some interesting spellings of my Father's first name (Frenchi/ Franchi). I'm assuming that Gagliani is a regional name, as they all seem to be from around the Capannori area??

How is your search for Teresa Gagliani coming along, have you managed to uncover any new information?? I'm tying to find the records for the leaving Lucca and coming to England, but seem to have drawn a blank there too - it might help if I knew what I was looking for I suppose!!