D'Amelio's of Monteleone di Puglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dianadamelio

D'Amelio's of Monteleone di Puglia

Post by dianadamelio »

Looking for information on the D'Amelio Family from Monteleone. Grandfather Francesco D'Amelio, b April 4, 1882, d. circa 1926 married Maria DeRosa (from Acadia). Maria DeRosa b. Feb. 12 1887, d. Oct 12, 1963. Believe Francesco's father was Gerardo D'Amelio as Francesco had one son, named Gerardo.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: D'Amelio's of Monteleone di Puglia

Post by nuccia »

Hi dianadamelio,

Can you tell us what your research goals are? Are you searching for relatives in Italy or those that came through to the USA or Canada? Have you done any research already or are you just starting?

Nuccia :D
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

dianadamelio wrote:Looking for information on the D'Amelio Family from Monteleone. Grandfather Francesco D'Amelio, b April 4, 1882, d. circa 1926 married Maria DeRosa (from Acadia). Maria DeRosa b. Feb. 12 1887, d. Oct 12, 1963. Believe Francesco's father was Gerardo D'Amelio as Francesco had one son, named Gerardo.
Hi There,

The Family History Center has microfilm that you can order and rent for about $5.75 a roll for the town of Monteleone di Puglia. On the film you can view Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors.

Here is the link for the film numbers for Monteleone di Puglia.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

The Family History Center has microfilm that you can order and rent for about $5.75 a roll for the town of Accadia. On the film you can view Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors.

Here are the film numbers for Accadia.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Now the microfilm only goes up to 1905 so you would have to write for any documents after 1905. Here are the addresses for towns.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Accadia
Sauro Nazario Sn (via)
71021 Accadia FG
ITALY

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Monteleone Di Puglia
Municipio Sn (piazza)
71020 Monteleone Di Puglia FG

Here is a link to translater you letter into Italian.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Did your ancestors come to the USA or did they die in Italy?

I hope some of this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
dianadamelio

Post by dianadamelio »

My husband's mother and father emigrated to Canada. Gerardo D'Amelio, deceased, was the son of Francesco D'Amelio of Monteleone. The family has little or no other information than what I have previously mentioned. We would like to trace back the family, including siblings of Francesco. There are a number of D'Amelio families in both the US and Canada but we have not connected to them as yet. I have a copy of a death certificate for Maria DeRosa, listed as the widow of Francesco D'Amelio. I believe there are some members of the family that did emigrate to New York and/or New Jersey as well. However I need to start my research in Italy to find the connection. Thank you.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi dianadamelio,

Did you post on rootsweb forum quit awhile ago? There's a whole message board on "Demelia" and one post looks alot like it could be yours but its from a while ago, and there are others mentioning your names.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=m ... 54.272.307

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/messa ... .foggia/52

Just wondering..where in Canada are you located (just curious as I'm from Canada as well).

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi again,

Have you seen this manifest yet?

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0236794688&

It may be worth looking over...brothers name is Fedele...Felice (?) I'm not wearing my glasses and am using another computer so I need another set of eyes here!

dianadamelio

Post by dianadamelio »

Looks like his brother's name is Francesco...and that his final destination is Toronto. I have searched various holdings but have not linked individuals together yet. It appears he is listed as an "Non-Immigrant Alien". The Social Security Death Index has almost 300 listing for D'Amelio's in the US. I thought the best place to start would be back in Italy by way of the LDS Library and microfilm.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Diana,

I think Francesco is the line below that..but destination "in transit" Toronto is correct.

I have someone helping look up info who prefers to be "behind the scenes" although I wish she would post..others know that she's amazing with finding hard to find information.

She has found this manifest as well under Maria DeRosa that you may want to look at...

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0005

she is also working on this..

Gerardo DAMELIO
Occupation Son
(no one else on ship named Damelio)
Age 35
Sex M
Arrived 30 Jan 1892
Origin Italy Port Naples
Destination New York
Ship Massilia

and on some other things. I found working backwards was best in my research but I'm not sure on how others feel. If you'd like to research the other way, then you will need to order the films from the FHC as Trish suggessted. She's definitely an expert in that area so her advice is the best you can get here!

Either way, keep at it and good luck! :D :D
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Diana, Trish & Nuccia
From the manifest that Nuccia just posted, it appears Francesco & Rosa were headed to see Francesco's father in Brooklyn - Gerardo D'Amelio.
He may be your husband's first immigrant ancestor on his father's side.
If true, Nuccia is correct (as always) - US records are a terrific starting place to put the family together.
Been looking for a census w/Gerardo on it. If he was in the US, it can be found.
For Italian (& US) records, Trish gives great direction. She's coached quite a few of us here!
vj
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi VJ,

you're soo bad :wink: but thanks anyway!!!

Hugs
Nuccia :D :D
dianadamelio

Post by dianadamelio »

Thank you so much!! It does appear that Maria DeRosa is the wife of Francesco D'Amelio on the manifest...going to visit Francesco's father, Gerardo, in Brooklyn. This fits in with my family perfectly! Maria DeRosa was born in 1887 so the dates match...she married Francesco and Francesco's father was Gerardo! Thank you sooo much!! Can't wait to forward this to my family!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi guys!

Blanking on census for now, but it appears that Gerardo did travel back to Italy at least once.

On ancestry.com... ($ website)
SS Arabic 22 Aug 1922
Gerardo D'AMELIO, 65 yrs old
Naturalized 10th Nov 1898 in Westchester County, NY
lives at 526 E 136th St, Bronx, Bronx, NY
If this is your ggrandfather (in law), you can write for his naturalization
information (may contain some pretty neat family info):

http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchives/
go to
- online resources
- resources for genealogists
- using naturalization records
- online index

Diana, if any of this jogs your family's memories please let us know!
vj
dianadamelio

Post by dianadamelio »

Yes it all does fit in. We did hear that Francesco and his brothers (names unknown at this time) as well as their father Gerardo went to the US. We were uncertain as to whether they went to NYC or NJ. Francesco at some time became ill and he did return to Italy where he died sometime around 1926. Family has heard that the D'Amelio's worked in construction. There is some recollection of my father-in-law having cousins in Toronto as well. I am a member of Ancestry.com and will order the naturalization information. Again, thank you.