Chicago research help-PLEASE!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Chicago research help-PLEASE!

Post by jcsm400 »

I'm looking for someone who is willing to look for an Italian obituary in Chicago or suggestions on how I can find & obtain Italian newspapers from Chicago for the month of Dec 1919.

The problem: Husband's great grandfather buried in Mt Carmel Cemetery (d. 8/30/1942). The is someone else buried next to him. He is a widower on the 1920 census. There are no gravestones, the cemetery people only know that someone was buried there on 12/10/1919 and the County of Cook can't find a death record for the wife (great grandma). I also contacted the church where I believe they had the funeral Mass, but since it's not a sacrament, they don't have any records. It has to be her, but I have no proof!

Willing researcher/suggestions :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

jcsm :arrow:

p.s. My library hasn't been very helpful on obtaining things from other libraries. I would think that the newspapers would be on microfilm in Chicago.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Chicago research help-PLEASE!

Post by wldspirit »

Many people are into cemetary transcriptions and have done entire cemetaries, putting them online for research. The following site is one such site..........

I got lucky and found some of my husbands ancestors listed, worth a try.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Lisa,

You're right. That is a great site. They helped me find my great grandfathers grave as well. And there's a section about Mt Carmel Cemetery as well.

My only concern would be that if the cemetary doesn't have a record of whose buried there then how would someone be able to transcribe it? :?

Still worth a try, though. :D

Nuccia :D :D
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

In this link you may find other web site about Italian association, meybe the can help you, just try, you never know

http://www.italystl.com/main.htm

bye Riccardo
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There is a record somewhere, lost, misplaced or a clerk who did not feel like digging thru files, not all cemetaries have updated records electronically, especially the larger ones. Someone paid for these plots......
especially if they are adjoining plots....
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate the responses, but you all missed "NO GRAVESTONES." Which would mean no cemetery inscription record. Right? When I called the cemetery, the gentleman was kind & not only checked their records, but went to the plot to get the information. He is the one who told me that there were no gravestones.

The only record that I can figure out that can be out there, would be the obituary and the death record (either misfiled or in a different county or state). Any others????????????

I'll try the website that ricbru has provided, but would appreciate any other suggestions or a kind heart researcher in Chicago!

Thanks a bunch,

jcsm (SMILE) & have a great day)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

A gravestone is not neccesary to generate a record, I have a whole list of names, dates and even birthplaces of burials with no stones...........
Each plot in the cemetary is mapped out and has a file of who purchased it and when, as well as who is buried there, unless it is a paupers grave and then the info will be scarce.
When transcribing a cemetary, one does not just go by the gravestones, info is compiled from plots and files.
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Nuccia,

Thanks so much for this website.
www.jewishgen.org/Info...s_chgo.htm

You made my day :!:

Anna Maria's Death Certificate has been found! She died 11/11/1912.

Now I have to figure out who is buried next to her husband!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

jcsm :D :D :D :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Joyce,

Glad you found the death certificate. I can't click on the above link...it says safety alert for some reason. :? Just wanted to let you know!

Nuccia :D