Can anyone give me any information on Terrasini?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
jackerman

Can anyone give me any information on Terrasini?

Post by jackerman »

We are going there in May. My wife's father lived there in the early 1920s and we are trying to find out anything we can about him. So far, nothing has turned up.

His name is Rosario Alongi ...or possibly Charles Alongi.

Any info about him or how we could access any records in Terrasini would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Ackerman
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Can anyone give me any information on Terrasini?

Post by nuccia »

Hi jackerman,

Could you tell us the approximate year of birth and his spouses name (maiden) and birth year? Did he travel to the USA and if so about what year and where did he live? What were his parents names? These little details go a long way when researching.

Nuccia :D
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
if he was born there you should go to the Comune - Ufficio di Stato Civile (civil record office of Terrasini municipality) and request a copy of his birth act, so at least you can read on it the address ofthe house where he was born, name and age of parents, findingother siblings...
Give us more details, so we can help you better,
bye Riccardo
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hey Riccardo,

Great minds think a like! :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like we posted at the same time! How's the weather in Italy today? It's really nice in Toronto!

Nuccia :D :D :D
jackerman

Post by jackerman »

Thank you Nuccia and Riccardo. You are the first people who have responded to our post. Here are the details. We think the dates are fairly accurate, having obtained them from the youngest Alongi family member and as a result of our research here in the states.

My wife's father's name is Rosario Alongi. He was born in Detroit, Michigan on June 3, 1914. From about 1920 to 1922, he was sent to Terrasini to live with relatives (whose names are unknown). He returned to the states, arriving at Ellis Island on November 3, 1922. He may have returned to Italy for a short time after 1922. His U.S. passport number was 2897.

His Father's name was Giacomo Alongi, born in the Palermo/Terrasini area on either July 1, 1871 or July 5, 1870. He married Grazia Carollo around 1903. We have been unable to find their marriage record, so they could have been married in either Terrasini or Detroit. Grazia was born on October 31, 1881. Ellis Island records indicate she was from Terrasini. She arrived in the United States in 1902.

Giacomo died on September 26, 1967 in Detroit. He was a member of Madonna delle Grazie. Grazia died on September 25, 1921. but we have been unable to obtain her death notice. It could be possible that she died in Terrasini.

While living in Terrasini, Rosario may have received the sacraments of first communion and confirmation. He also served as an altar boy, but we don't know which church in Terrasini he attended.

We would love to meet any relatives of his

Could you tell us also when the Maria SS del Rosario and Maria SS della Provvidenza churches were established.

We are new at this, but with your help, are getting better.

Thank you for any information you can find. God Bless You both.

John and Theresa
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi jackerman,

Not sure if you've seen the 1920 census for this family so I'll post some info just in case.

1920 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Jack Alongi
Name: Jack Alongi
Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Detroit Ward 7, Wayne, Michigan
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1900
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 52

1920 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Grace Alongi
Name: Grace Alongi
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Detroit Ward 7, Wayne, Michigan
Sex: Female
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Year of immigration: 1902
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 52

They lived at 170 Fort Street county of Wayne, Michigan. Jack had filed for Naturalization and was a labourer in a factory. They had several (God Bless them) children.

John, Grace, Tony, Paul, Jack, Jane, Charles, Katie and Vito.

There's a recent obit on this Alongi that mentions a Jack but there's no actual obit to read. Maybe you want to look it up.

United States Obituary Collection Recordinfo
about ALONGI ANN MARIE
Name of Deceased: ALONGI ANN MARIE
Newspaper Title: Detroit News
Newspaper Location: Detroit, MI, US
Obituary Publication Date: Feb/2/2005
Other Persons Mentioned in Obituary: Frank; Fay Slattery; Harry; Jack Alongi; Al Alongi; W.

Death info on Jack the son:
Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996 Recordinfo
about Jack ALONGI
Name: Jack ALONGI
Birth Date: 29 December 10
Death Date: 20 October 85
Residence: Berkley, Oakland, Michigan
Place of Death: Royal Oak, Oakland, Michigan

It's late so I haven't time to link everything but I will try to post something later (unless someone else does first). I'm just getting carried away here and don't even know if you have it already! :oops:

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi agian,

This website might be of use to you. I really hope you can view it. If not, I just did a google search on the church and clicked on the first link "Monreale Diocese -"
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... S:official

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

jackerman wrote:Thank you Nuccia and Riccardo. You are the first people who have responded to our post. Here are the details. We think the dates are fairly accurate, having obtained them from the youngest Alongi family member and as a result of our research here in the states.

My wife's father's name is Rosario Alongi. He was born in Detroit, Michigan on June 3, 1914. From about 1920 to 1922, he was sent to Terrasini to live with relatives (whose names are unknown). He returned to the states, arriving at Ellis Island on November 3, 1922. He may have returned to Italy for a short time after 1922. His U.S. passport number was 2897.

His Father's name was Giacomo Alongi, born in the Palermo/Terrasini area on either July 1, 1871 or July 5, 1870. He married Grazia Carollo around 1903. We have been unable to find their marriage record, so they could have been married in either Terrasini or Detroit. Grazia was born on October 31, 1881. Ellis Island records indicate she was from Terrasini. She arrived in the United States in 1902.

Giacomo died on September 26, 1967 in Detroit. He was a member of Madonna delle Grazie. Grazia died on September 25, 1921. but we have been unable to obtain her death notice. It could be possible that she died in Terrasini.

While living in Terrasini, Rosario may have received the sacraments of first communion and confirmation. He also served as an altar boy, but we don't know which church in Terrasini he attended.

We would love to meet any relatives of his

Could you tell us also when the Maria SS del Rosario and Maria SS della Provvidenza churches were established.

We are new at this, but with your help, are getting better.

Thank you for any information you can find. God Bless You both.

John and Theresa
Hello,
you can contact for civil record

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Falcone e Borsellino
90049 Terrasini (PA)
Italy

for cemetery record contact

Comune
Ufficio Servizi cimiteriali
Piazza Falcone e Borsellino
90049 Terrasini (PA)
Italy

If you send a request for civil records or cemetery recod, write it in Italian, attach to it a photocopy of your ID + an envelope + an international reply coupon, so the Stato Civile will answer you back.

or you can rent Terrasini civil record microfilmsto FHL (mormon church)

or you can contact Archivio di Stato di Palermo

These are the addresses of the churches you were looking for

Maria SS. del Rosario
Via Dante Alighieri,
90049 Terrasini (PA)
Italy

Maria SS. della Provvidenza
Via dei Mille,
90049 Terrasini (PA)
Italy

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
jackerman

Post by jackerman »

Thank you so much Nuccia and Riccardo. The information is slowly building a "picture" of the Alongi family. And thank you for the contacts in Italy. I think we are going to try a letter to them and see what we come up with.

We are forever in your debt.

John and Theresa Ackerman
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi John and Theresa,

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Nuccia :D :D
jackerman

Post by jackerman »

I know this is a little late, but I wanted everyone who helped us out to know that our visit to Terrasini was very productive. Thanks to Rosy from Scilian.net, my wife, brother in law, and I met their great Uncle and his wife. We visited with them for about two hours in their home and solved a few more pieces of the Alongi puzzle. Rosy took us to the church cemetary where we found the graves of relatives we knew of and one whom we did not. All-in-all, it was a wonderful time in Sicily.

Rosy and her Husband took us on a wonderful tour of the area, not only Terrasini, but the Greek and Roman ruins closeby. If anyone ever needs the services of a delightful couple, Rosy is the one to hire. Words cannot describe what she did for us.

So, we are a little bit closer to knowing the story of my wife's ancestors. And we thank everyone who helped!

John and Theresa Ackerman (Alongi)..and Brother Charlie too!
killfletcher

Post by killfletcher »

this was startling upon googling my name, Charles Alongi.

I am only 19. My Family is from the detroit area. My Grandfather who was born around the early 1900's is named Charles Alongi. He also had a brother named Jack among other relatives, but he had a sister named sally also, which wasnt mentioned. My Grandfather was born in U.S. though i believe his father was not. They were from a small village in Sicilly. My Grandpa maried Joyce Hicks. His full name is Charles John Alongi along with my fathers.

is there any way, from this info, to find out if im related to this other family?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You can pm the original poster and swap infos........ :D
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

killfletcher wrote:this was startling upon googling my name, Charles Alongi.

I am only 19. My Family is from the detroit area. My Grandfather who was born around the early 1900's is named Charles Alongi. He also had a brother named Jack among other relatives, but he had a sister named sally also, which wasnt mentioned. My Grandfather was born in U.S. though i believe his father was not. They were from a small village in Sicilly. My Grandpa maried Joyce Hicks. His full name is Charles John Alongi along with my fathers.

is there any way, from this info, to find out if im related to this other family?
It would help if you knew your grandfather's parents names.....Do you know when & where he died?.....His death certficate should have this information.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.