Birth Registration in Bari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Birth Registration in Bari

Post by mahart »

Hi everyone hope you all have a wonderful Easter Time.

Please could somebody tell me whether there was a central civil registration for births in the Bari region for the periods 1850 to 1865?

Does anyone know the meaning of the surname Palombella? I have come across one meaning; sayinf it was nickname for a quiet man.

Any information would much appreciated.

Regards :)
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Birth Registration in Bari

Post by nuccia »

mahart wrote:
Does anyone know the meaning of the surname Palombella? I have come across one meaning; sayinf it was nickname for a quiet man.
I thought it meant bird...pigeon....

Nuccia :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Nuccia pigeon is right, better little pigeon... in the ancient time Palombo(pigeon) was also a firts name, and from this first name are originated many surnames all similars.. happy Easter, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In LDS microfilms are civil records from 1809 http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... +Bari+%28B++
hoping helpful, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi Nuccia and Suanj,

Thankyou very much for the interpretation of Palombella. But what I do not understand is its context for a surname (cognome), I mean I understand it has two elements [Palom][bella] and in singular form each element has its own meaning but together the two elements do not make sense to me for a surname. My understanding of Italian is limited at best but I have studied British names, place-nanes and field names for many years and understand how names evolve or how elements of names change through influences on language or corrupt through regional dialects but in my experience surnames usually evolve from association to a place or peoples, occupation, events or derive from a nickname. So I think what I am trying to say is do you think that Palombella derives from originally a given name [nome] such as someone being associated to a little pigeon for example in English translation 'Mark the little pigeon' [Mark Palombella] that will not be good for my street cred! Or am I way off the mark through my lack of understanding of Italian?

Suanj thankyou for the link to LDS microfilms you have been more than helpful. I have hit a brick wall in England trying to find a record that gives a town or region for my ancestors so now I am going to concentrate on Bari the area where the surname is most common. (I need to find out before the summer months pass so I can go and visit, while the weather is beautiful).

Many thanks to the both of you.

Regards

Mark
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, perhaps so you can understand better:
Palombo/ Palumbo in ancient time was also a first name meaning Pigeon;(Palombo/Palumbo=male pigeon.. PalombA/Palumba= female pigeon); well: Palombella(female pigeon ) is a little pigeon: PALOMB+ ella= palombella... =little pigeon..

the first trace of this first name Palombo/Palumbo( that in the middle age become a surname) is in a ancient manuscript of 1300 year in Pescara town(Abruzzo region): " "...Est profecto quaedam villa vocata Superclo, in Sancti Valentini Castello translata, quam a Tederamo et Palumbo germanis fliis quondam Reparati legaliter ad profectum Piscariensis Ecclesiae triginta solidis emit. ..", where it is wrote that was 2 brothers Tederamo and Palumbo ..

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Suanj,

Happy Easter to you, too! :wink: And to all!

Suanj is the expert on names so I know you will get great advice here!

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

suanj wrote:In LDS microfilms are civil records from 1809 http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... +Bari+%28B++
hoping helpful, suanj
Hello,
you can also find Bari civil records to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Corso Vittorio Emanuele 87
70100 Bari
Italy

or contact Archivio di Stato di Bari

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... %22BARI%22

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi everyone,
Thanks again, and yes I fully understand now about the meaning and origin of Palombella. However, do you think when I compile my book about the family history and origin, when I write the section of the origin of the name Palombella I could possibly call it Dove and not pigeon. I do not know what pigeons are like in your countries but here wood pigeons must be the thickest birds ever. I have got 4 cats and I am forever chasing wood pigeons out the garden to stop thme becoming one of my cats snacks before dinner. What about wolf or lion could it not be indirectly associated to a more masculine animal, damn I suppose I will ahve to accept the truth. Just joking I think.

Regards and happy Easter

Mark
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Oh Mark,

That's so funny! Just call it a bird if you must! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know about in England, but here in Toronto, almost every Italian had pigeons when I was growing up. I remember them as a child and dad even built them home above our garage. They were nice memories and your post reminded me of them. :D

Have a great Easter!

Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Mark

I have lots of Palombos up my line, and whenever I 'babelfish' it it translates as 'ring dove'. So adopt a hippy mantra, dig out your old John Lennon records and think peace!

My maiden name was Visocchi which probably has something to do with vision. There is also a very similar word in russian that means tall. This is puzzling as we are all small and short-sighted!!! So much for names eh?

Marisa
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Mark, the right spelling in latin is Columba palumbus
http://www.birdguides.com/html/vidlib/s ... lumbus.htm so you can understand better, regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi everyone,
Nuccia, I'm glad I helped bring fond memories back for you, and yes many people here kept pigeons, probably less now days though. I'm thinking that maybe I should now change my name on this forum to 'Little Pigeon', no doubt time I log on people will thinking here he is, the little pigeon ha!.
Maria I like the idea of Ring Dove much better but when you translate Palombella it comes up with wood pigeon. There is no getting away from it, a pigeon it is, and a small one at that. Since being small (excuse the pun) I always had an affinity to the wolf, you know if you where gonna have to be an animal then a wolf was for me, and now, well I have to accept my fate and look to the Columba Palumbus (does sound much nicer than pigeon though). And thanks Suanj for the web link to my most favoured of birds I'm seeing the similarities with myself (oh no). Great web site though.

Regards

Mark