Can anyone here read french

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Can anyone here read french

Post by EllenCatusco »

I have a few documents in French, they are from Belgium so I assume French. If anyone knows it, please let me know. I will put documents up.

Thank you. :D
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Re: Can anyone here read french

Post by EllenCatusco »

these are the 2 documents. I think one is a death and other a birth. One is Slivie Imer and the othe Caroline Imer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

other one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ellen
I am just back from a more than 9 hour drive and can't help you tonight. These are in French and I should be able to help you with them, possibly tomorrow, if no one else gets to them before I do.
Erudita
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

Fantastic....Go get some rest..They will be here waiting for you..
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ellen-

Here's the second record you posted. Sorry but I don't know how to do French accents on my keyboard, so the accents have been omitted in my translation. Also I need to work more on the occupations of the two witnesses in the record, in whose presence the father of the infant declared her birth.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2138505

Birth record of Louise Marie Decoppet

Dated March 2, 1854 at 8 in the morning
Liege, Liege, Belgium

Louise Marie Decoppet was born on the 27th of last month (so Feb 27th) at 3 to Jacques Francois Henri Lucien Decoppet, a mechanic, and Caroline Josephine Amelie Eugenie Imer, a married couple living in this city on Quai D'Avroi (D'Avroy) #2(?). The declaration of the birth was made to the town officials by the infant’s father, who signed below. Witnesses to the declaration were Georges Madave (sp?), age 56, and Leopold Imer, age 36, a lieutenant officer, living in this town, who also signed below.

Erudita

I still have to work on the marriage record-hopefully sometime today.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ellen
I have a good part of the marriage record translated but am still working on some of the foreign areas mentioned in the record. Hopefully before the day is out I will have clarified the locations and spellings.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here are the links to the two pages of the marriage record

Marriage May 21, 1851 in Liege

Appearing publicly in front of the officer of the civil state was the groom, Jacques Francois Henri Lucien Decoppet. He was a mechanic born in Fiez, canton of Vaud, Switzerland. He was living in Yverdon (Switzerland). He as the adult son of Jean Francois Decoppet, who died in Yverdon on July 29, 1848, and the son of Louise de Henezel, who died on March 2, 1847.

The bride was Caroline Josephine Amelie Eugenie Imer, who did not have an occupation. She had been born in Hodimont in the province of Liege on March 28, 1812. She was living in this town and was the adult daughter of David Eugene Aime Imer, who died in Avenches,in the canton of Vaud, on January 7, 1824. The 1827 marriage date, and number 332 for that record, seems to be for the remarriage of her mother, Anne Maria Nizet, a merchant in the same domicile, who was present to give her consent to her daughter’s marriage.

Publications were made in this town (Liege) on the 2nd and 9th of last March and in Yverdon (Switzerland) on the 29th of Dec 1850 and the 5th of January (1851). No opposition to the upcoming marriage resulted from the publications.

Then there is the usual wording for a marriage and the fact that the couple was united in marriage.

Signatures which appear at the bottom of the second page of the record:

Georges Richard Louis Pradez, age 41, pastor of the Protestant Church of Liege; John Rose, age 29, a foundry worker (smelter); Georges Hubert Michel Modave, age 53, a merchant living in the town, and Nicolai Felix Delrez, age 43, merchant, living in Verviers (a city in the Province of Liege), a German cousin of the bride
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

Amazing. This is fascinating stuff. David and Anne Maria are my 2x great grandparents.I didn't know that David died when my greatgreat grandfather was about 2 years old. So his mother remarried? I have more records I found on Familysearch. mostly births of children of David and Anne. Nothing of course on My greatgreatgrandfather only his siblings. He was married there too, and my greatgrandfather was born there too. Then they came to America. Sometime in 1855. And I only know that because 1 son was born at sea. But with these I at least have correct spelling of last name. Here in America it was changed to Emer. And these names only came about because I finally got his death certificate and both parents are listed. Just when you think you can't go back any farther,you get a break. And farther back you go. I love this stuff and the people I find. Thank you so much.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

1 more question. It says David Imer died in Avenches,in the canton of Vaud,now that is Switzerand? I know by the other birth records of some of his other children, who all were born in Hodimont, Liege, Belgium. So to look for a death for him would I look in Switzerland? and not Belgium
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ellen
The canton of Vaud does appear to be in Switzerland, so I think that David Imer's death record would be among records from Switzerland, if those are available, and not with the Belgium records, unless there is a copy of it among his children's records in Belgium. I've never had reason to look at records from Belgium or Switzerland. All I can tell you is that I was to Belgium in the last few years, but not to Liege. So these records are new for me.
Erudita
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

Is this the record for Anne Maria's second marriage. I see her name. And this is under Belgium records, Liege. I never thought of looking in Switzerland. All family history has France and Belgium as area they are from. Davids son Victor always said Belgium on census records here. But his son would change it to Germany, then France, then back to Belgium..
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ellen

Yes, this is her second marriage. It states she was the widow of David. I'll work on the translation, but probably won't be able to finish it or post it tonight.

You'll have to do some research to see if boundaries changed over the years and, if so, what years they did change. I'm not knowledgeable about the history of this area.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Marriage of George Hubert Michel Modave and Anne Marie Nizet
Liege
October 4, 1827 #332

Appearing before the officer of the civil state was the groom, employed of the Bureau of the Hypotheque (mortgage bureau). He was age 29 and had been born in Liege on December 23, 1797 #415. He was living on the street in front of the Magdeleine #273 and was the adult son of Jacques Joseph Michel Modave, ?, a living in Alencon in France. His father gave his consent through a notarial act from Alencon dated the 18th of last July. His mother, Marie Barbe Raikem, was living in Liege, and consented before the notary in Liege, on Sept 7th. The documents were entered into the register by the town official.

The bride was Madamoiselle Anne Marie Nizet, a merchant, age 35. She had been born and baptized in in the town of Verviers-Saint Remule in Nov 1791. She also had her birth act for the civil officer from the town of Verviers. She was living in Liege at 16 273(?). She was the widow of David Eugene Aime Imer, a merchant, who had died on Jan 7, 1824 in the town of D’Avenches, Canton of Vaud, in Switzerland. She was the adult daughter of Nicolas Joseph Nizet, merchant, deceased the 25th of March 1792. She was also the daughter of Marie Lince, who died on Nov 4, 1824.

Marriage publication was posted on the door of the Hotel de Ville and resulted in no opposition to the
marriage.

After exchanging their vows, the couple was united in matrimony.

Witnesses were:
Godefride Eugene Briate, age 35, who was living on Rue Hors-Chateau.
Nicolas Josephe Ditter, the bureau chief of the Conservation of Hypotheque (mortgage conservation), age 30, living in Faubourg Sainte-Marguerite
Gerard Fievez, employed in the public prosecutor’s dept by the procurator of the king, age 30, living on the Rue Hors-Chateau, cousin of the groom
Henri Modave, tailor of clothes, age 27, living on the Rue St Remi (St Remy), brother of the groom

They were given a reading of the act and signed it.

*I'm just stuck on deciphering the occupation of the groom's father.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

Oh wow, thank you so much. They give you so much info in these things. I will continue searching for David and Maria's son Victor. Also in Sylvie's birth record does it give Davids age? I will look again now that I'm becoming alittle familiar with placement of info in these docs. Thank you so much again.