Paternal line to GGGGF, Can we get Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Paternal line to GGGGF, Can we get Citizenship?

Post by jennabet »

Correct, lssbdf9193 has not returned to give more information about his ancestors. I mentioned that it's possible he/she has more Italian DNA because Uruguay like Argentina has always had a high population of people from Italy. When Italians stick together in a new land because as immigrants they may have come from the same towns in Italy, they don't have to go outside their ethnic/cultural group looking for a spouse. They tend to marry their own. And that is exactly what happened in my family and anyone who dares to dispute these facts does so because their own ancestors probably did not marry other Italians. And this, naturally, would make them LESS Italian than the Italians who married other Italians. Really, it's only common sense. Why try to give somebody like me, an Italian born in the USA with four Italian grand-parents all from the same town in Italy (who's ascendants before them have been there for at least 1,000 years) and a DNA ratio of 89% Italian a hard time? How many of you have a DNA ratio of 89% Italian? I can guarantee you that with one Italian grand-parent and the other three non Italian, you do not.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

OpusReticulatum's post is pretty awesome!!!!! Just saying.
OpusReticulatum
Rookie
Rookie

Post by OpusReticulatum »

Gags,

Tante grazie!

Or, as Julius Caesar and Marcus Antonius might have said, "Gratias maximas tibi ago!"
OpusReticulatum
Rookie
Rookie

Post by OpusReticulatum »

Correct, lssbdf9193 has not returned to give more information about his ancestors. I mentioned that it's possible he/she has more Italian DNA because Uruguay like Argentina has always had a high population of people from Italy.
The OP, Stabile, is from Uruguay. lssbdf9193 is the one who make the Cleopatra/Caesar commment. It was lssbdf9193 of whom you said that he/she was likely less Italian than Stabile, even though we know nothing of lssbdf9193's ancestry.

When Italians stick together in a new land because as immigrants they may have come from the same towns in Italy, they don't have to go outside their ethnic/cultural group looking for a spouse. They tend to marry their own. And that is exactly what happened in my family
This is true. While this effect tends to lessen as the generations pass, the earlier generations of immigrants and their children tended to marry within their ethnic groups.

and anyone who dares to dispute these facts does so because their own ancestors probably did not marry other Italians.
I'm not sure who is disputing any of this.

And this, naturally, would make them LESS Italian than the Italians who married other Italians. Really, it's only common sense.

Again, I'm not sure who is disputing this. In terms of ancestry, yes, someone who is of half Italian ancestry is of less Italian ancestry than someone of 75% or 100% Italian ancestry.

Jure sanguinis citizenship, however, is a different thing. One can be of 1/8 Italian ancestry and be eligible, and one can be of 100% Italian ancestry and not be eligible.

(And cultural affiliation is not always proportional to the amount of one's ethnic ancestry. We've probably all known people who were half Italian (or Greek, Irish, Jewish, Mexican, etc. ) who were very passionate about their Italian (or Greek, etc.) cultural identity. And we've all known people who were 100% Italian (or Greek, etc.) who could not care less about Italian (or Greek, etc.) culture.)

Why try to give somebody like me, an Italian born in the USA with four Italian grand-parents all from the same town in Italy (who's ascendants before them have been there for at least 1,000 years) and a DNA ratio of 89% Italian a hard time?
A hard time about what?

Your opinions are your opinions, and when posted here, other users are free to agree or disagree with you.

When it comes to how Italian Nationality Law works however, the facts are the facts. Opinions, in this case, cannot be presented as facts, and separating facts from opinions is warranted.

How many of you have a DNA ratio of 89% Italian?
How come your DNA only shows you as 89% Italian? Upthread you wrote:
However, as far as invaders go, it's more than apparent that they didn't get to first base with my ancestors.
So, what happened to the other 11%?

In fairness:
Using DNA to prove membership in a particular ethnic group that is a subset of a larger one is still a bit underdeveloped at this point. Indicating European, Near Eastern, East Asian, Sub-Saharan African, and Native American markers is one thing. That's more doable than roving definitive membership in one particular modern ethnic group. However, European and Near Eastern groupings can sometimes be harder to differentiate from one another, since modern Europeans are descended, in part, from Near Eastern farmers who migrated north and westward 10,000 to 7,500 years ago, which is a relatively recent time frame, genetically speaking (as opposed to, say the modern human exodus from left Africa to the Near East and Europe, which occurred around 120,000 years ago).

Placing DNA results within greater regional groupings (such as Northern European, Southern European, Near Eastern, Italian/Greek/Mediterranean, West Africa, etc. are, at this time, more reliable than placing them within specific ethnic groups.

The companies which indicate specific ethnic identifications often revise their classifications as new information comes in and their matching algorithms are refined.

However, anyone with a family history such as yours (or mine) should expect to have results which lie within the range of the more typical results found for Italians. (And do note, that it is a range. There are outliers and smaller groupings, as there are in all populations. There is no one single "Italian DNA," either maternal or paternal. There are a number of different haplogroups which have concentrations in various parts of Italy. So, sometimes there are surprises.)

I can guarantee you that with one Italian grand-parent and the other three non Italian, you do not.
Where did you get the idea that I have only one Italian grandparent?