Locate information on my grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sematranga

Locate information on my grandfather

Post by sematranga »

[align=center][align=justify]My grandfather, Jack Matranga, was born in Sicily on 2-15-1894. His family owned a shoe factory or a shoe store. He had at least 2 brothers. I'd like to know more about his family, including full names. Can you assist me?[/align][/align]
Thank You,
Susan Matranga
sematranga@sbcglobal.net
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Locate information on my grandfather

Post by raymo »

Susan,

Others on this site will have more in-depth responses & recommendations for you, but some basic info from you will help them send you in the right direction...Are you in the US, or another country?

- Do you know the name of the town in Sicily where your gfather was born?

- What was your gfather's birth name? "Jack" must be the anglicized version of an Italian name, since he was born in Italy. Giacomo or Giovanni, possibly?

- When was your gfather married? To whom? Married in Italy or elsewhere? What was his death date? If this all took place in the US, we can help you go to the right sources for those records.

- Do you know your gfather's parent's names?

- Do you know what year he emigrated to the US (if the US was his destination)?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sematranga wrote:[align=center][align=justify]My grandfather, Jack Matranga, was born in Sicily on 2-15-1894. His family owned a shoe factory or a shoe store. He had at least 2 brothers. I'd like to know more about his family, including full names. Can you assist me?[/align][/align]
Thank You,
Susan Matranga
sematranga@sbcglobal.net
Hi susan, are only 1 Giacomo(Jack) Matranga same birthyear of your ancestor, coming from Piana dei Greci town, and he came in USA in 1912, 19 old, final destination Chicago, joining Francesco Rappullo uncle , contact in Italy Giuseppe father in Cefalù....
it could be your ancestor?
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sematranga

Post by sematranga »

My grandfather, Jack Matranga, was born in Piana dei Greci on February 15, 1893. He arrived at Ellis Island on February 23, 1012. He then settled in Chicago, Illinois - his contact being uncle Francisco Rappullo. He married Nelloe DeCarlo around 1916. She had been born around 1904 in Chicago Heights. Her parents were both born in Sicily (Natale DeCarlo born around 1873 and Rosa [Rusotti] DeCarlo born around 1880). Apparently only 1 of Natale's and Rosa's 6 children mis still alive. Her name is Jenny & should be about 91 and living in Illinois, USA. My father's mother (Nelloe) "died" when he was a young boy of 9 years old. There was alot of mystery and secretiveness around her death in 1935. When I was growing up, I was told she died of a brain tumor. Recently, Jennie DeCarlo sent my dad (George Matranga) a copy of a death certificate from Cook County, Illinois dated March 17, 1935 and it listed the cause of death as "Acute Gastric Dilitation". She was supposedly buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetary on 3-21-1935. Her husband's name was listed as "John" instead of Jack.
In the 1950's, Jack Matranga relocated from Chicago to Upland, California. He got a Social Security card # 557-48-3341. He died on May 28, 1980 and is buried in Riverside National Cemetary, Section 2, site 473. He had been a World War 1 army veteran.
That is all I know about my paternal grandparents. I don't even know my great-grandmother's name or the name of Jack's brothers. My dad thinks they might be named John and Aspani and one of them lived out the latter part of his life in Mexico. My geneology research is at a dead end unless I can find out about my relatives from Sicily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Susan Matranga
(born & raised in Chicago,
now living in California)
sematranga@sbcglobal.net
sematranga

Post by sematranga »

My grandfather, Jack Matranga, was born in Piana dei Greci on February 15, 1893. He arrived at Ellis Island on February 23, 1012. He then settled in Chicago, Illinois - his contact being uncle Francisco Rappullo. He married Nelloe DeCarlo around 1916. She had been born around 1904 in Chicago Heights. Her parents were both born in Sicily (Natale DeCarlo born around 1873 and Rosa [Rusotti] DeCarlo born around 1880). Apparently only 1 of Natale's and Rosa's 6 children mis still alive. Her name is Jenny & should be about 91 and living in Illinois, USA. My father's mother (Nelloe) "died" when he was a young boy of 9 years old. There was alot of mystery and secretiveness around her death in 1935. When I was growing up, I was told she died of a brain tumor. Recently, Jennie DeCarlo sent my dad (George Matranga) a copy of a death certificate from Cook County, Illinois dated March 17, 1935 and it listed the cause of death as "Acute Gastric Dilitation". She was supposedly buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetary on 3-21-1935. Her husband's name was listed as "John" instead of Jack.
In the 1950's, Jack Matranga relocated from Chicago to Upland, California. He got a Social Security card # 557-48-3341. He died on May 28, 1980 and is buried in Riverside National Cemetary, Section 2, site 473. He had been a World War 1 army veteran.
That is all I know about my paternal grandparents. I don't even know my great-grandmother's name or the name of Jack's brothers. My dad thinks they might be named John and Aspani and one of them lived out the latter part of his life in Mexico. My geneology research is at a dead end unless I can find out about my relatives from Sicily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Susan Matranga
sematranga@sbcglobal.net
sematranga

Post by sematranga »

My grandfather, Jack Matranga, was born in Piana dei Greci on February 15, 1893. He arrived at Ellis Island on February 23, 1012. He then settled in Chicago, Illinois - his contact being uncle Francisco Rappullo. He married Nelloe DeCarlo around 1916. She had been born around 1904 in Chicago Heights. Her parents were both born in Sicily (Natale DeCarlo born around 1873 and Rosa [Rusotti] DeCarlo born around 1880). Apparently only 1 of Natale's and Rosa's 6 children mis still alive. Her name is Jenny & should be about 91 and living in Illinois, USA. My father's mother (Nelloe) "died" when he was a young boy of 9 years old. There was alot of mystery and secretiveness round her death in 1935. When I was growing up, I was told she died of a brain tumor. Recently, Jennie DeCarlo sent my dad (George Matranga) a copy of a death certificate from Cook County, Illinois dated March 17, 1935 and it listed the cause of death as "Acute Gastric Dilitation". She was supposedly buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetary on 3-21-1935. Her husband's name was listed as "John" instead of Jack.
Sincerely,
Susan Matranga
sematranga@sbcglobal.net
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum.

I also was born in Chicago & raised in NW suburbs.

Anyway, I have some questions.

What documentation do you have? Genealogy is about proving relationship & you do that by documentation. Some records you should have or get:
Jack's death certificate, natuaralization papers, ship manifest, marriage record for Jack & Nelloe, death certificat, census records. Let us know what you have.

Here is some information to keep you busy.

This is interesting 'cause they all were born in Illinois.

California Death Index, 1940-1997
You searched for Matranga Refine your search

All ResultsViewing 1-4 of 4

View Record Name Death Date Death Place Gender Birth Date Birthplace Mother's Maiden Name Order Record

View Record MATRANGA, KRISTINA ANN 15 Jun 1994 SACRAMENTO FEMALE 11 Mar 1982 ILLINOIS PETERS
View Record MATRANGA, SUE Z 18 Oct 1983 LOS ANGELES FEMALE 9 Jul 1917 ILLINOIS BORIS
View Record RIOLO, SAM F 19 Dec 1991 SACRAMENTO MALE 19 Sep 1907 ILLINOIS MATRANGA
View Record TERZOLI, FILOMENA ANTOINETTE 24 Mar 1990 LOS ANGELES FEMALE 1 Mar 1910 ILLINOIS MATRANGA

WWI Draft Registration Card

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5417/m ... wwi3en.jpg

This is the link to theLDS (Mormans) films available for Piana dei Greci
Civile Registration 1820-1902:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

These can be rent @ your local LDS-Family History Center, which you can locate by going to www.familysearch.org & clicking on the Family History Center button, when typing in your location information.

I'm still poking around. Will be back :)
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

1930 Census Information
Hone in 1930: 1933 Dayton St., Chicago, Cook, IL
Last Name: MATRANGA
Jack-head-31 Italy-immigrated 1914-married @ 23-Naturalized-occu:packer in Plate glass Co

Nellie-wife-26 IL-married @18
George-son-4 10/12 IL
Marie -daughter-3 5/22 IL

Will link the image here.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/4306/m ... 9307pw.jpg
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Living next door is Natale and Rose with children Joseph and Jenny.
According to this census Natale immigrated in 1897 and is naturalized.....
Rose immigrated in 1899 and is also naturalized.

There are two Matranga for the WW1 draft...both coming from same place.
one is Jack, and the other is Joseph..........note that Jack and Nellie were not married until 1922.........
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi wldspirit,

Glad your on board! Will be getting 1920 info & linking in a few.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Can't find 1920 for Jack Matranga nor Natale & Rose DeCarlo.

If someone finds & can't link, I'll do it tomorrow (later today). Eyes & me are tried & am going to bed!!!!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Link to manifest found by saunj (see above).

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 4596020205

Death information on Jack Matranga in CA

California Death Index, 1940-1997 Record
about JACK MATRANGA
Name: MATRANGA, JACK
Social Security #: 557483341
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 15 Feb 1894
Birthplace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 28 May 1980
Death Place: SAN BERNARDINO
Mother's Maiden Name:
Father's Surname:
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Note: There was a Jack Matranga that graduated from Fremd High School in Palatine, June 1970.

Possible relative?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Apply for naturalization records as this may list more detailed info.......

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/h ... NATREC.htm

form to use.......

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

wldspirit
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Susan,

See, I told you you'd get some really good assistance from other members!

I didn't ask this in my post to you yesterday, but I went to high school (Cardinal Spellman HS, Bronx, NY, 1974-78) with a Susan Matranga.

I'm thinking it's someone else, since you say you grew up in Chicago & now live in California. But it's quite the coincidence, since you're name is pretty unusual..

Any relation to you?