Explanation for the word "cittadinaze" in Italian.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Explanation for the word "cittadinaze" in Italian.

Post by jrbak »

Hello,
Would someone mind giving me the translation for the word "cittadinanze" as used in the records for indici decenalli. Thank you so much.
Jefferie (jrbak)
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Explanation for the word "cittadinaze" in Italian.

Post by Biff83 »

Requests by individuals to permandently change their town of residency from one town to another.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Records of people who are going for Italian citizenship.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

If you're talking about "atti di cittadinanze" that you might find among the town records of various towns-

Basically these type of records show that a town resident was petitioning a court, or the civil officials in his native town, to change his permanent place of residence to some other town, or even to another country like the U.S. Most of the reasons I have seen in these types of acts for this request are because the person is now using another town as his principal place to conduct his business affairs, or he is emigrating permanently to another country, like the U.S. In a few cases, another person, like a sibling or cousin, appears in his place to make the request, since the individual himself is already permanently residing somewhere else. These kinds of records are not about individuals seeking Italian citizenship. They are, as Biff has stated, about a native of a particular Italian town requesting a change in his permanent place of residence, to another town within Italy, or to another location outside of his country. I should add that there are not many of these types of records, as not everyone who left his native place of residence to reside permanently somewhere else, went through the process of making such a request. If you're talking about these record types in the 1800s, or early 1900s, they had nothing to do with individuals seeking Italian citizenship.

Erudita
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Post by jrbak »

Thank you biff83 for your explanation for "cittadinaze". This helps me discern which records to look at and when.
Jefferie (jrbak)
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Post by jrbak »

Dear Marty,
Thank you so much for answering my question regarding the word "cittadinaze". This helps mewith my research.
Sincerely.
Jefferie (jrbak)
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Post by jrbak »

Dear Erudita,
I am so appreciative for your thorough explanation of the word "att di cittadinaze" in the town records. My great grandfathers children (seven of them) all went to the U.S. so perhaps they did apply for this change of residency as they all stayed permanently in the U.S. I am learning all the time.
Thank you so much!
Jefferie (jrbak)