Houston consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Houston consulate

Post by JSaccaro »

Hi all

I have a question about the Houston Consulate. Lately I have been thinking about dual citizenship. I believe I am eligible through my paternal line. In order to determine officially if I am eligible I need to send certain documents to the Houston Consulate. I am a little confused about what to send and what to wait to send in. I was hoping someone can help.

http://www.myitalianfamily.com/pdf/Appl ... ouston.pdf

So in order to determine eligibility do I just need to turn in the documents on Page 1 or should I turn in all documents included on Page 2?

If I decide to go through with the dual citizenship, should I go ahead and get the required documents apostilled and translated?

Does anyone have any experience with the Houston Consulate that can give me some tips?

Thanks! :D

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Re: Houston consulate

Post by mler »

Although all consulates are a little different in terms of requirements, I think it is best in all cases to first determine yourself if you are qualified. You do not need the Houston Consulate to determine this for you; and gathering, amending, and apostilling documents is a time consuming and sometimes costly enterprise.

First you need to determine the ancestor from whom citizenship originally derives. Then determine when that ancestor was naturalized (or if he was never naturalized). Did that naturalization take place before or after the birth of his/her child?

Once you determine that you qualify, you can then begin the laborious task of collecting documents.

BTW, if you need help in determining whether or not you're eligible, just write.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Hi mler,

I am pretty sure I qualify but will post my paternal line just in case.

My great grandfather born in Italy 1892. Immigrated in 1896 to New Orleans, La.

My grandfather born in New Orleans, Jan 1918.

My great grandfather filled out a Declaration of Intent March 1918.

http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/452/ ... ent3js.jpg

My father born in Baton Rouge, 1947.

Myself born in Baton Rouge, 1977.

With all of the research I have done, it looks as if I would be qualified for dual citizenship because according to the date on my great grandfathers Declaration of Intent he filled it out after Salvador (my grandfather) was born.

If in fact I am qualified, should I start getting the translations and apostilles now or should I wait until I get approval from the Houston Consulate?

Thanks for the advice. :D

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You most certainly qualify. And the Declaration of Intent is not really an issue. He is still Italian until he actually naturalizes.

No need to bother with page 1. Go directly to page 2 to gather all your supporting documents. You will need:

Great grandfather's birth certificate from Italy
Great grandfather's naturalization certificate (no apostille needed)
Great grandfather's marriage certificate (apostille)
Great grandfather's death certificate (apostille)
Grandfather's birth certificate (apostille)
Grandfather's marriage certificate (apostille)
Grandfather's death certificate-if applicable (apostille)
Father's birth certificate (apostille)
Father's marriage certificate (apostille)
Father's death certificate-if applicable (apostille)
Your birth certificate (apostille)
Your marriage certificate-if applicable (apostille)
Birth certificates for any children (apostille)

Also, if your grandfather and father are still alive, they need to sign a document attesting that they never renounced Italian citizenship and have no objection to your applying for citizenship.

Whew! That will keep you busy for a while. Good luck!
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Hi mler,

Thanks for the reply. I have already begun gathering the information. I have most of it already. The problem is with my grandmother and grandfather. They divorced almost directly after my father was born and they haven't spoken since then. My grandfather has sinced passed away as well as my father. My problem is locating their marriage certificate. It's not old enough to be in Vital Records Room in Louisiana, at least as far as I know. I don't want to ask my grandmother about it because I'm sure it would bring up some unpleasant memories for her. She has been remarried for at least 47 years to someone else so I would almost guarantee she doesn't have the marriage certificate that I need anymore.
So my question is, how do I get a marriage certificate from the late 1930s to 1940s?
Also, should I contact the Consulate to ask them where to have my translations done?

Thanks for the advice.

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My parents were married in Texas. If you know the county in which the marriage took place, you can request a copy of the certificate from that county. I knew the specific information, including certificate number, because I had a copy of the original certificate; however, they will search it for you. You should know the name of the bride and groom and approximate year of marriage. If the marriage took place more than 50 years ago, you should have no problem.

As far as translations are concerned, some consulates do them for you, and others will recommend a translator. In NY, the consulate does the translation (although I have opted to translate them myself). And that's another option, of course, if you know the language.

BTW, even if your grandmother has the original certificate, it would probably not be suitable for apostille, so you would have to send for one anyway. My own original certificate was on a quarter of a page. The one I received for apositille was two full pages in length.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Hi mler,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure they were married in Baton Rouge which would take care of the county/parish. I'm not positive on the date of marriage but can probably guess within 5-7 years. I hope that is approximate enough. I will try to get in touch with Louisiana State Archives today.
I wonder if I emailed the Houston Consulate and asked them about the translations. Do you know if the consulates have a specific office that handles citizenship issues? The information packet they emailed me really didn't provide that much information. I'm learning the language, as it is only right since I want dual citizenship, but I don't know enough of the language to translate it myself.

Thanks for the tips. :D

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If the Houston Consulate is anything like the NY Consulate, they probably won't respond. I sent an e-mail three months ago and haven't heard yet.

I would first try calling the main number and perhaps they can transfer you to someone who can answer that question. I visited the web site and apparently they want you to go through a two-step procedure. First determine if you qualify (even though you know you do), and then submit the proper forms. They also don't give information on the latter unless you've done the former. Dumb, but there it is.

Since, in any case, you have to wait for the marriage certificate, you may as well go through the "am I qualified" process, and sending an e-mail and/or telephoning the consulate at the same time wouldn't hurt. Perhaps you'll get a response regarding translations before the marriage certificate arrives. Ultimately you may have to pay a personal visit to the Houston Consulate or one of its Vice Consulates.

If you find you do need translations, several people have recommended www.myitaliancitizenship.com I've used them to get my grandfather's birth certificate in Italy (don't have it yet, though). They also do translations at, I believe, $27 a page, and their translations are generally accepted at the Italian consulates.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

hi mler,

Thanks for the advice. I will try and call the Consulate next week. Maybe I will have a little bit better luck.
I sent off for my great grandfathers birth certificate last weekend through myitaliancitizenship.com but earlier this week I received this email:

Dear Current/Former ICGS Client,

Please excuse the impersonal message. We are sending you this message because your use of our company’s services in the past three years indicated an interest in Italian genealogy and/or Italian citizenship.

As of April 25, 2006, Italian Citizenship & Genealogy Services (ICGS) is actively seeking new ownership.

[This is a one-time communication. As you will receive no further communications from our company, there is no need to request to be removed from our mailing list.]

I really hope I just didn't throw away $42.00! :x

Did you receive a message like this?

I cut out most of it because I think I posted the most important subjects: "For sale and you will receive no further communications from our company."

I think I may need to send them an email.

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Yes, I got the same message. Everyone who's registered with them did. Apparently the founder of the website is planning to go to law school and would like the sale of this site to help finance it.

The service, however, is still functioning (although ownership may change hands). I don't think you need to worry, but if you're concerned, just use their e-mail contact. My guess is that the service will function as it always has. It has developed a good reputation, and it is unlikely that Eric will do anything to destroy the good will he has built up. That would destroy any chance to sell the business.

I have yet to receive my certificate, but when I wrote to them, they quickly responded to update me on its status.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

HI Mler,

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask how long you waited before emailing myitaliancitizenship.com about your grandfathers birth certificate? I know they said two to ten weeks, but I would like to get an average. 2 - 10 weeks is a very large window. I don't mind waiting, just curious is all.

I will call the Consulate when I get home later today. Hopefully, I will have a little bit better luck with this Consulate than the one in New York.

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

They sent in my request on March 20, and just today they e-mailed me to say it has arrived. I can expect it within three days. This may have been a more difficult search because my grandfather was born in Napoli, and I could not supply the exact region. Smaller towns may take less time.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

This was a duplicate message. Sorry.
riema86

Post by riema86 »

I have a question about my qualification. My Italian born great grandfather filed a declaration of intent to naturalize before my grandfather was born. But, the actual naturalization didn't occur until after my grandfather was born.

Am i still eligible? Does the rule go by the date of the declaration of intent or the date of actual naturalization?

Please help!
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Riema--You are eligible. The date of naturalization is the important date, as that is when the applicant swore allegiance to the US and effectively renounced his previous citizenship.

Auguri!