Need help locating a family through USA Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Need help locating a family through USA Census

Post by gemellua »

I am trying to find a couple who married in the USA. They probably did so at a NY (Manhattan,Bronx, or New Rochelle) church without getting a license (which I have seen done with a number of relatives).

Since I can't find a marriage license, I am hoping that they can be found through our census. I have been told they moved quite a bit. Had a few sons. One or more were born before 1912. (A cousin remembered them staying with his family as a child. He however could not remember the father's name or surname. He also stated they lived in Bronx, New Rochelle, New Jersey, and Virginia)

Wife - Giuseppa "Josephine" Randazzo birth 1870-1875 - I have her information regarding arriving in the USA.
After that she disappears.

Giuseppa may have married an Antonino Serio or a Salavtore Serio,

Thank you.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need help locating a family through USA Census

Post by Tessa78 »

can you post the arrival manifest?

Based on the arrival manifest... what is her approx. year of birth? (I know you gave a 5 year range)
What is her year of arrival?
What is her destination? and to whom?

The names of her children?

Can you tell us the name of the cousin with whom Giuseppa stayed? and where was the cousin's residence?

T.
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Tessa78,

Thank you for replying. Just pmed you. Hope you can assist.

G
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by parkergambino »

Here are some notes I took while searching marriages at the New York City Vital Records office, 31 Chambers Street (room 103); perhaps they will be helpful. Unfortunately, it involves arcane bureaucracy, always several steps before getting a printout, and in reviewing my notes, there are some fuzzy areas that may not be accurate in my account here.

For New York City, prior to 1908, the marriage document was a CERTIFICATE and the government authority/agency was the New York City Department of Health.

In 1908, some laws changed, and marriages were also recorded by New York State. That process involved: 1) an AFFIDAVIT prepared in advance of the marriage, which listed various personal data about the couple; 2) a LICENSE prepared by the NY State clerk, based on the affidavit information; 3) an authorized clergyman or other person would perform the wedding ceremony, filling out a CERTIFICATE that would later be given to the clerk handling the civil documentation, usually within a short period (a week?) after the wedding. Then the LICENSE would become an officially filed document. I think that the couple would typically receive a copy of the certificate, which had the letterhead and format of the church, not the state.

I suppose there were also non-church marriages that did not involve this third step; not familiar with these.

From 1908 until 1937 there was this dual documentation of weddings in New York City.

In 1937 New York City discontinued issuing its own marriage certificates.

The Chambers Street office has both the NY State and NY City records for marriages within the city. I think the city records are on their in-house computer database, and the state records are on microfilm, available there for printing out. I couldn't tell you the policy for conducting document searches. The phone number is (212) 788 8577; Barbara was particularly helpful for me, so I'd start by asking for her.

------------------

There is also the NY State marriage index for counties outside of NY City.
--------------------

As if this wasn't sufficiently daunting, here is some other general geographical history information to consider (source NY Public Library):
Please note; the boroughs of Brooklyn (Kings), Queens, Staten Island (Richmond) and areas of the Bronx did not become part of New York City until 1898.
*The Bronx did not exist as a separate Borough until 1898. New York City (Manhattan) annexed the area west of the Bronx River in 1874 and annexed the area east of the Bronx River in 1895. For vital records in those areas after the date of annexation through 1897, search Manhattan records.
Separate marriage & death records for Kings County towns Flatbush, Flatlands, Gravesend, New Lots, and New Utrecht pre-1894/95.
------------
Here's one more thing, you would have to be really really lucky, but who knows? If Giuseppa Randazzo's family is from Sferracavallo/Tommaso Natale in Palermo. Frank Randazzo runs a seafood store in the "Little Italy" of the Bronx; I could swing by there the next time I'm in the neighborhood (happens a few times per month), and ask him if he recognizes any of your family names.

Parker
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Thank you for the information Parker! I'll check out your suggestions.

In regards to Randazzo's Fish Market (Arthur Ave., Bronx) I am very familiar with the store. The owners are not related to me. Their family are from Termini Imerese, Sicily.