Just a quick question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Just a quick question

Post by EllenCatusco »

I have had the occupation Marinaio, used for my ggfather, I know that ususally is for Sailor. My question is, does this mean a military man. These are pics of an ancestor, I am trying to figure which ggfather this is. We always believe it to be a Sorrentino, but I may think now it could be the other ggfather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Just a quick question

Post by adelfio »

It means sailor get his leva

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

Marty

What is a leva? And how would I go about getting it?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Actually you need the Foglio Matricolare which is usually conserved in the State Archives but not for all birth years.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

I was reading the article for this subject on your website. What info is needed to acquire the records? I have His exact birth, parents, town born, even his marriage info. He is from Torre del Greco, so it would be from Naples? We are talking about 1851 though, maybe even 1850, at marriage in 51 he is already a sailor.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

Another quick question. I have his marriage prosetti, would he need permission to marry? It is quite a number of pages and a lot of handwritten documents.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The Archivio di Stato di Napoli has the Foglio matricolare for those born after 1853 so it looks like you are out of luck with that.
You need to get the processetti translated. I have seen some very interesting documents from Napoli.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.