re: giuseppina bova in reggio calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re: giuseppina bova in reggio calabria

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

searching for birth record of giuseppina"josephine"bova in the city of reggio di calabria. 1887 or 1888. her husband,angelo marra,was born there in 1878. i found that record. they married there in 1908 and immigrated to america shortly afterwards. all available records here indicate she was born in these years. died in 1979 age 91. i see nothing in the record indexes,but possibly i overlooked something. any help most appreciated.
rlw254
Master
Master

Re: re: giuseppina bova in reggio calabria

Post by rlw254 »

Who were here parents? There is a Giuseppa Bova born there on 12 Dec 1885 to parents Giuseppe Bova and Teresa Logiudice.

Another was born in 1890 to the same parents, and one more in 1891 to Giuseppe Bova and Maria Siclari.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

her father was raffaele bova i believe. mothers surname was maddaferri or maccaferri. ? its in the dec.1908 marriage record in reggio. hard to make out. she gives her age as 20,which matches the age she gives here,making her born in 1888. but as we know,ages varied in different records for the same person.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

Those two had a child in 1888 but it looks like a male Giuseppe in the indici decennali. The births for this year seem to be absent from the collection so I can't check.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats possible. sometimes no rationale for missing years. i've run into this problem a few times. always the one year missing thats needed. the others will be intact. this means that even writing to the comune won't help,unless they have an alternate set of records with the missing year. but thats highly unlikely. thanks for checking.
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

Mother's surname is Modafferi o Modaffari (both appear in Reggio). In this case it is Modafferi as there is a couple in Reggio with the names Raffaele Bova and Maria Modafferi. They were married in 1881.
It is true that from the late 19'th century various years are missing in the Archivio di Stato (they have the copies), but they are present at the commune (they have the originals). I have seen them with my own eyes, but they won't let me digitalize them.
You can write to the commune and I wish you good luck, because they are too lousy to move their asses.
By the way, the age of spouses in marriageacts is usually acurate, because they had to present birthcertificates.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks. whats odd is that i see 2 sons born to raffaele bova and maria modaferri in this time period. 2 brothers it appears, antonio and francesco,but no giusseppa. there was also a sister,francesca,a year or 2 older than giuseppina,which doesnt show either. all in the 1885-1895 time period. these missing years are baffling. example: regarding the civil records of the comune of luogosano in the province of avellino. my paternal grandfathers birthplace. after careful research,i believe his paternal grandmother,who lived her entire life there,died in the years 1862-1865. her husband died there in 1849 andshe survived him. would have been in her 60s then. and i know she died no later than 1885,when she would have been 100. i checked morti from 1849 to 1885. found nothing. but the years 1862-1865 are missing,and as she would have been in her late 70s then,theres a good chance she died in this time. but why,with all the other years available,are only these years missing? i could see if all the morti were missing,but this makes no sense. and the same years are missing at both the state archive and the comune.
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

All civil status records are duplicated. The originals are kept in the archives of the municipality and the copies are sent to the so-called "Tribunale" and stored there. If the privacy period is over, then the Tribunale must send all deeds of that period to the State Archives every 10 years. Sometimes that doesn't happen, they told me.
I also heard that archives were lost due to fires at those Tribunals.
Finally, I must unfortunately note that in these parts of the world you will find people in jobs where they do not belong at all (nepotism is a very general fenomenum here) and if such people consider documents to be old paper then you can guess the rest.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i'm aware of how the system works. duplicates. one to the archive and one to the comune. pre 1865 for the archive and post 1865 for the comune. evidently some get lost in transit.
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

No, it has nothing to do with 1865. Please read carefully what I wrote.
I just had a look in the Indice Decennale of 1888 and there is a Giuseppe Bova from Raffaele. You could assume that the writer made a mistake. Very often they wrote the last letter of a name very sloppy. I have often had difficulty determining whether it is an e or an a. In this case it clearly says Giuseppe, but we do not know what the name looked like that the writer copied and moreover, if you are copying thousands of names, who would not make any mistakes? Because it is not very likely that Raffaele Bova and Maria Modafferi had two children in the same year, you could assume that here should have been Giuseppa in stead of Giuseppe
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats what i'm thinking. but once again,if there was an actual record available for this birth,the mistake would become evident,as the childs sex would be revealed as female. that would confirm any question. might be a mistake in the index/indice,but not in the actual record. i believe the 1888 entry for giuseppe is actually for giuseppa. but i don't even see a giuseppe born to raffaele bova and maria modaferri in the 1886-1895 indice. am i missing it?
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

Yes, you are missing it. It is there.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i see a few giuseppe's in the 1886-1895 index-but not listing raffaelle bova and maria modaferri. different parents. mothers listed as maria siclari,teresa logiudice,rosaria rognetta,and no raffaelle as the father. i see antonio,antonino,and francesco born to raffaelle bova and maria modaferri. thats it. there was also a sister,francesca,born about 1885 or 1886. not here either. closest to that is a francesco. but thats not until 1892.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Half-way down the second column, Bova Giuseppe di Raffaele 1888 #257. This is what I was referring to in my last post. Could be Giuseppa, won't know for sure without seeing the actual birth record.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks again. thought you were referring to your website indexes, which is the one i was looking at,and the one you created,not the one you sent me from the antenati website. i see it now. very hard to read. but as we know,there are no nati for 1888. i see entry 620 for francesca in 1885. older sister of giuseppina. but when i go to the year 1885,or any year for that matter, there don't appear to be any individual birth number entries i.e. no. 620,just page numbers. it looks like the actual numbers are written,not numbered. makes no sense,as the pages are numbered. would have made more sense to number the actual entries and written in the page numbers.