Colonna

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Colonna

Post by genealogy »

I am searching for the town and province where Jennie Colonna was born in Sicily during the early to mid 1850's. She was my great-grandmother. Her children were Angelo, John and Josephine who were also born in Sicily and immigrated to the US. She was married to John Anselmo. I do not know if she immigrated to the US.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Colonna

Post by jcsm400 »

Previously posted under different thread.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:40 pm Post subject: RE: Anselmo Ancestors in Sicily

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Anselmo was married to Jennie Colonna and both were born in Sicily. They were my great-grandparents. They had three children, Angelo, John and Josephine who were born in Sicily. Angelo changed his name to Colonna or Colona before or after he immigrated to Louisiana. He was born December 25, 1875 in Sicily. Angelo moved from Louisiana to Illinois. He married Rosina Allotta or Allatta in Illinois on September 5, 1903. I do not know what year Angelo immigrated to Louisiana. Then they moved to St. Louis, MO where Angelo died on December 16, 1924 and was buried in Calvary Cemetery. Angelo’s sister, Josephine, immigrated in 1903 to Louisiana and married Tony Messina. They also moved to Illinois where both Angelo and his brother-in-law, Tony, worked in the Big Muddy Coal Mine. Josephine and her husband are listed in the Illinois 1920 US Census. I do not know what state Josephine and her husband Tony died in. I also do not know if John Anselmo and Jennie Colonna’s son, John, immigrated to the US. Thank you for replying to my message.

jcsm400
Master

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:45 pm Post subject: Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi genealogy,

This posting may inrerest you>

Boards > Surnames > Allotta
Allotta Search all Ancestry.com databases for "Allotta" records
List Messages | Post New Message | Add Board To Favorites | Add Board To Notifications | Become An Admin

<<Thread • Previous • Next • Thread>>

I'm an Allotta originated from Sicily
Author: sara Date: 23 Feb 2006 1:00 PM GMT
Classification: Query
Post Reply | Mark Unread Report Abuse Print Message
Hi everyone!!
Wow this is a shock to see so many Allotta's. My name is Sara Allotta, I am half Italian (Sicilian) and half Swedish. My father name is Angelo, and my sisters are Silvana & Sabina. Have lived all over the world- Australia, Italy, Sweden, USA, England, Caribbean and now Belgium. On returning to Europe from Australia in 1989 there was an organized Allotta reunion in Italy and close to 60 people came. I was then told that anyone with the name Allotta should know that they are related!! definately. We originate from Malta (15th century)and our blood lines from back then are of nobility. My oldest sister Silvana knows more-I will ask my sister and dad for more information and get back to you all on this website. Maybe we can all do a Allotta reunion in the US!? If your ever in Europe make sure to email me. Nice to know the family is still growing. I'd love to meet you all.
Warm regards,
Sara Allotta.
Post Reply | Mark Unread Report Abuse Print Message

View replies listed by: Thread (collapsed)Thread (expanded)Date (collapsed)Date (expanded)

Re: I'm an Allotta originated from Sicily : nicholas allotta -- 28 Feb 2006
Re: I'm an Allotta originated from Sicily : Pauline Smith -- 14 Mar 2006
Re: I'm an Allotta originated from Sicily : Rose -- 1 May 2006

If I am reading this corretly, Angelo & Rosina were your grandparents?

Where did they marry? Sicily or US? What are their children's names?

Do you have them on census records? I can't finf them under Anselmo nor Colonna.

Suggestions at this point: 1. Angelo's death certificate. 2. If married in US, get the marriage record, which includes marriage application, affidavits, certificate, & marriage return. 3. If you don't have it, get the ship manifest for sister Josephine. 4. All birth records of their children. 5. Josephine & Tony's marriage record. These are all places that may list birth place.

Will keep looking.

Keep us posted.

jcsm

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:59 pm Post subject: Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Genealogy,

This may help in locating ship manifest for Josephine and/or Angelo.

FHL and NARA Microfilm Catalog Numbers
Index to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, LA, 1900-1952; National Archives Microfilm Series T618; 22 rolls

NARA # is the catalog number for the National Archives
FHL # is the catalog number for the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City -- these can be ordered for viewing at any local Family History Center

This is an alphabetical Index...
NARA # Covers FHL #

T618-1 Aaberg, Vendel--Arias, Josefina 1412574
T618-2 Arias, Magdalena--Bellini, Nazzareno 1412575
T618-3 Bellino, Amalia--Brown, Arthur Andrew 1412576
T618-4 Brown, Ashton--Carteni, Catelena 1412577
T618-5 Carter, Mrs. A.B.--Coope, Anna 1412578
T618-6 Cooper, Mr.--DeBenedetto, Viola 1412579

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:35 am Post subject: Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Hi Genealogy

I think you might be better putting your research under a different posting. Click 'new post' and put 'Anselmo' in it. That way everyone looking at the message board will be able to see the name, and immediately identify if they can help

Marisa

Genealogy,

Use the search button at the very top of this page. Search for all entries containing "Allotta". YOu will find a few other posts on this surname from the Louisiana. Perhaps these will help you.

As was suggested before, you should start your own topic. It gets confusing following two different families in the same post.

We do not remember days, but moments. Life moves too fast, so enjoy your precious moments.

Last edited by jcsm400 on Tue May 16, 2006 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

jcsm400
Master

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:59 pm Post subject: Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Genealogy,

This may help in locating ship manifest for Josephine and/or Angelo.

FHL and NARA Microfilm Catalog Numbers
Index to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, LA, 1900-1952; National Archives Microfilm Series T618; 22 rolls

NARA # is the catalog number for the National Archives
FHL # is the catalog number for the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City -- these can be ordered for viewing at any local Family History Center

This is an alphabetical Index...
NARA # Covers FHL #

T618-1 Aaberg, Vendel--Arias, Josefina 1412574
T618-2 Arias, Magdalena--Bellini, Nazzareno 1412575
T618-3 Bellino, Amalia--Brown, Arthur Andrew 1412576
T618-4 Brown, Ashton--Carteni, Catelena 1412577
T618-5 Carter, Mrs. A.B.--Coope, Anna 1412578
T618-6 Cooper, Mr.--DeBenedetto, Viola 1412579

We do not remember days, but moments. Life moves too fast, so enjoy your precious moments.

DeletedOoops :!: Got part of other thread :oops:
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Information that member "vj" found and sent to me.

Thanks vj :!: Great finds :!: :!:

In 1917 Angelo COLONA WWI Draft Card has him in Clifford (Blairsville), IL, b 25 Dec 1875, working for Big Muddy Coal Mine, married to Rosa

Link to WWI Draft Registration Card

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/2109 ... ard7ik.jpg

1920 US Census
St Louis, St Louis, MO
5115 Wilson
Angelo COLONE, 44 yrs old, immig 1898 Na 1903, rents house
wife Rosa, 34 yrs old, immig 1893 Na 1903?
son Lusciana, 16 yrs old b in IL, packer - shoes
daughter Jennie, 14 yrs old b in IL, salesgirl - department
son Sano, 12 yrs old b in IL
son Tony, 7 yrs old b in IL
b-i-l John ALOTTO, 22 yrs old b in Louisiana, grinder - ?? factory

Link to 1920 census

http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/3672 ... 9201gt.jpg

Will link images in a few minutes....maybe little longer depending on how fast my computer wants to be!

Genealogy,

Take a look and let us know what you think.

jcsm :)
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by genealogy »

Thank you for sending the two records. Both of these records are correct.
As you know, Colona is spelled Colone in the 1920 Census which is incorrect. I have checked with the families of all the children listed on this census, and they do not know where in Sicily my grandfather was born,and since they were the informants on the death certificates, it will not help to send for the records. I will check the Port of New Orleans Immigrations records for him to see if it provides where he lived. I will let you know what I find out.
Thanks again
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Missouri Death Index for COLONNA

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resource ... all&tYear=

For ANSELMO

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resource ... all&tYear=

Not sure if any of this is your family. will let you decide.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

May have already asked......Do you have the marriage record of Angelo Anselmo/Colonna & Rosarina Allotta? Where in Illinois did they marry?
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by genealogy »

I have the marrige license and marriage certificate for Angelo Colonna and Rosina/Rose/Rosa Allotto/Allatta. They were married in Murphysboro, Jackson County, IL. on September 5, 1903. The marriage license is dated September 3, 1903. Her last name is spelled Lotta which is incorrect. It should be Allotta or Allatta. Thank you for your help.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

You may want to see if you can get the complete marriage record which includes application (to marry), affidavits, certificate, & return.

It may have more information than just the certificate.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Since you are ordering the immigration films, here's a link to LDS films for Jackson County, IL marriages.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... +1843-1915++

Your welcoms & good luck in your search.

jcsm
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by genealogy »

Does the LDS files for Jackson County, IL Marriages have the application to marry and affidavits on it? I already have the marriage license and marriage certificates. If not, does the IL State Record Department have this information? Also the MO death index didn't have my grandfather, Angelo Colona that died December 16, 1924. Thank you for trying so hard to help me.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

What of naturalization records? This will list alot of key info.......

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/h ... NATREC.htm

form for request.......

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Not sure what is included on the film for Jackson County marriages nor if IL. State Vital Records Dept would have any affidavits. Sorry!....Sometimes the affidavits have born information but not always.

Naturallizations records (as suggested by wldspirit) is another good source for birth information.

Good luck in your research & keep us posted.

Joyce
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

RE: Anselmo

Post by genealogy »

The MO death certificate website does give a Gaspano Anselmo who died in St. Louis in 1952. My great-grand father’s brother was named Gaspano, but it would not be him since he was born during the early to mid 1850’s. Since it could be a son of his, I will send for the record Again, thank your help.
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by genealogy »

Thank you for sending the FHL marriage register number of Jackson County, IL . I will order it and see if I can find the marriage register for Angelo Colonna in September 1903. Also thank you for the advice on ordering his 1903 immigration record. Since he was first married in September of 1903, he could also have lived in Louisiana from January to September of 1903. The 1920 census that you sent me said he immigrated in 1898, so there could be a 1900 Louisiana Census or Illinois Census for him, but I can't find either one. He moved from Louisiana to Illinois something between 1898 and 1903, but I do not know when. If you do find the 1900 Census Record, please let me know. Also, how do I find the immigration records for him in Louisiana, and the naturalization records for Louisiana and Illinois. I do not know which state he was naturalized in.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

This guide to finding naturalization records should help.

http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/natura ... cords.html

I will let you know if I find the 1900 information.