Advice for conflicting info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Advice for conflicting info

Post by frankdamore »

Hello,

Many years ago I had a topic posted about some GGparents of mine. I have some records, but the place of birth seems to differ. I've been trying to find a marriage record or death/birth record perhaps to learn more information, but am at a sticking point.

I'm trying to locate the marriage of Antonino Bellafiore (Belfiore) to Paola Linarsi. They had 3 children (Maria from 1860 in Canicatti, Calogera from Sept. 1862 in Canicatti, and Frances in 1867 (cannot find birth record, but reports show Caltanissetta from marriage or Bagheria from immigration). Recently, I found Paola's death record from 1920 linking her birth to Marsala. I couldnt find her birth record in Marsala however.

(http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... nLxA5T456o)

I've searched Marsala and Canicatti marriage records and came up blank looking for Belfiore/Bellafiore marriage to Linarsi. I found one Antonino Bellafiore birth from 1832 (Marsala), but that wouldnt be accurate as there was a death record to the same name/same parents a few years later.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Advice for conflicting info

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the marriage in 1856 (7 October) of Antonino Bellofiore and Paola Linares
Dated 7 October in Marsala
Groom: Antonino Bellofiore, born in Santa Ninfa, residing in Marsala, age 30, farmer, son of deceased Salvadore [Bellofiore] and of Maria Santangelo, 50, residing here.
Bride: Paola Linares, age 19, born in Marsala, daughter of deceased Antonino [Linares] and of deceased Francesca Gabriele (on Paola's death act her mother's surname was Rabbiele... an error)
Church celebration on 9 October in the Parish Church of San Matteo.
Publication of banns on 31 August 1856.
A notarized consent from the paternal grandfather, Diego Linares, was presented.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

T.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

Good morning -

That is a great find. Thank you, so much. I should have went back further instead of 1859.
That reveals so much info for me to work off of.

With the name Linares, do you feel that translates to something different? I had Linarsi before, but am wondering if the name is as it is or shortened perhaps from something else?

I'll start re-digging for morti records for family!

You're awesome!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Happy to help! :-)

The surname Linares appears to be the original spelling.

You can see its distribution in Sicily today...

Linares 54.91 Marsala Trapani
Linares 13.70 Siracusa Siracusa
Linares 7.68 Canicattini Bagni Siracusa
Linares 3.11 Castelvetrano Trapani
Linares 2.84 Solarino Siracusa
Linares 2.81 Trapani Trapani

Compared to Linarsi in Sicily... which appears to not exist today.

T.