What is this name?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

What is this name?

Post by Edward Keeports »

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915

Fourth down on the right

Castrenza Filippanesia? Filippaneria? Filippanevia? I've never heard of this name before. Does it have something to do with the Philippines, perhaps?
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Re: What is this name?

Post by mjclayton1 »

Just a guess here. Seems like it’s a separate word/name: Neria. Not a run-on: filippaneria. Neri is “blacks”, so I wonder if Neria might be a form of that word? Filippa is merely the feminine form of Fillipo (Phillip). A quick Google search shows that “fillipa” means “lover of horses.” I could be wrong on this point, but I don’t think it has anything to do with the Philippines.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Filippaneria (in the margin) and Filippa Neri (in the record)

Her second given name seems to be in honor of the saint Filippo Neri (St. Philip Neri)

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I agree with T. It's just the female version of the saint's name.
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

Post by Edward Keeports »

mjclayton1 wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 15:31 Just a guess here. Seems like it’s a separate word/name: Neria. Not a run-on: filippaneria. Neri is “blacks”, so I wonder if Neria might be a form of that word? Filippa is merely the feminine form of Fillipo (Phillip). A quick Google search shows that “fillipa” means “lover of horses.” I could be wrong on this point, but I don’t think it has anything to do with the Philippines.
Tessa78 wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 15:51 Filippaneria (in the margin) and Filippa Neri (in the record)

Her second given name seems to be in honor of the saint Filippo Neri (St. Philip Neri)

T.
erudita74 wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 15:53 I agree with T. It's just the female version of the saint's name.
Thank you!