Town names- Surania and Ronhleo

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Town names- Surania and Ronhleo

Post by mmogno »

I searched the death records in the range 1879-1894, but I couldn't find Maria Musa.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

My grandmother is a mystery to me. I have an immigration record from Ellis Island showing her coming in in 1892 with her mother and brother Giuseppe under their mother’s maiden name of Tezza. My Maria Musa was listed as three years old at that time.
Later in the year 1892, my Maria and Nonno (Guglielmo Musa) and the family are shown in the 1892 New York Census. My Maria is listed as Mamie, four years old. Thank you for your diligence in this regard.
My Maria was born, married and had six children and then died in 1952. I will keep looking for her.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

Is there a death act for Maria Valentina Musa baptized in 1879?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

MaddalenaNYC wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 01:25 Is there a death act for Maria Valentina Musa baptized in 1879?
mmogno wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 15:56 I searched the death records in the range 1879-1894, but I couldn't find Maria Musa.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

MaddalenaNYC wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 01:01 I have an immigration record from Ellis Island showing her coming in in 1892 with her mother and brother Giuseppe under their mother’s maiden name of Tezza. My Maria Musa was listed as three months old at that time.
Line 199
https://assets-heritage.statueofliberty ... 930268.jpg
Attachments
m237-05930268[1].jpg
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

Three years old at the time. There had to have been two Marias.

One was my grandmother, the other was not.
Unfortunately, all who knew my Maria died many years ago.

This is puzzling.
Thank you for helping me,
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I thought it was three months but look again...the entry was put in months but noted years.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

Perhaps my grandmother’s middle name was Maria? And she went by Mary and Mamie in the States? This I know. My grandmother was married to my grandfather in 1904 in Manhattan, NYC. They had six children all born in Brooklyn. My grandmother died in 1952, two years before my birth. She is buried in St. John’s Cemetery in Queens, NY with her father, Guglielmo Musa and her son, John and John’s wife.
Maria Valentina is not my grandmother.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

Her date of birth has always been noted as 1888. It is all so confusing. Before my grandmother’s last living child, my Aunt Helen, died at the age of 97 with me by her side, She, Aunt Helen commented again how her mother, my grandmother, was married at the age of sixteen. That was in 1904 in NYC.
Also, had this Maria Valentina baptized in 1879, been alive in 1892 when my grandmother emigrated, why would her parents, Guglielmo and Giuseppa, have left a thirteen year old girl behind?
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I know that I am beating this to the ground but I have an original copy of Guglielmo’s Will. He died in Brooklyn, NY in 1937. He left all of his property, real and otherwise to his son, Luigi, Luigi’s wife Palmeira, his daughter (my grandmother) Maria Musa Gardella, his daughter-in-law, the widow of his son Giuseppe, and to his living grandchildren.
Grandchildren who had predeceased him were not mentioned in the Will. His wife was not mentioned (his death certificate notes that he was widowed) and there is no mention of a Maria Valentina.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I’m sure you’re all sick of me but I work in law and do not take anything at face value. If someone would look for a birth act for Giuseppe Musa born near Parma circa 1881, son of Guglielmo Musa and Giuseppa Tezza, I would be very grateful That would be my great uncle Joe who died in Brooklyn of the Spanish Flu in 1918. His middle name was Alberto. I have a hard copy of his death certificate.

I simply can not accept that my grandmother was, Maria Valentina Musa. I can not also accept, without proof,
that my grandmother was an illegitimate founding. I have too many US family docs disputing that fact.

The hunt goes on. I am very fortunate to have my cousin, Pam, with me in the hunt.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Did you find the immigration record for Guglielmo? Has he immigrated with Luigi?

From these manifests it seems that Guglielmo and Luigi stayed in America in the period 1886-1900. Is that correct?
Line #15
https://assets-heritage.statueofliberty ... 700045.jpg

Lines #22-24
https://assets-heritage.statueofliberty ... 960353.jpg

#5. Baptism act for Giovanni Musa in Carzeto on 22.03.1881. Birth on 21.03.1881.
Father: Guglielmo. Mother: Giuseppa Tezza.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=124464

#32. Baptism act for Ampelia Maria Musa in Carzeto on 20.11.1882. Birth the same day.
Father: Guglielmo. Mother: Giuseppa Tezza.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=124464
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

Maybe, I have Nonno’s passport and letters to and from Italy. They are in a safe deposit at my local bank. I will try to retrieve them this week. When I was 18 years old and my elder brother was 39 years old, our Aunt Louise Gardella Armeit gave us gifts, My brother received Nonno’s gold pocket watch and I received Nonno’s passport and family letters. I have always thought that I had received the greater part.
From memory, I believe that Nonno (my great grandfather, Guglielmo Musa) and his son, Luigi travelled on the same Italian passport to leave Italy. If my reading of the rules is correct, one did not need a passport to enter the States at that time, but one did need an Italian Passport to leave Italy.
I am not sure if Guglielmo and Luigi came to the States prior to 1892. I will research it, I will also look into the Giovanni that you have found.
I understand that not all records are online. Could you advise me how I might write to Italy to seek the records of my family?
As always, I grateful for your help. Maddalena
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

My Latin stinks. I only had a couple of semesters at University over forty years ago. Could you translate the Giovanni Musa particulars for me? I’ll pay you back as I can read German even in Fraktur. Thank you.