Chromosome painting anomalies

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
afecad
Elite
Elite

Re: Chromosome painting anomalies

Post by afecad »

MarcuccioV wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 20:16 Also my Y haplogroup is the R-Z19 subclade of RM-269. Z19 has it's originations in Finland.
Is that confirmed or predicted? 23andme gave me predicted, starting at "A" then down to R-M269>R-S660 which is Gaelic Y-DNA.

FTDNA initially gave me predicted, R-M269, then confirmed a subclade way down in the branch which matched me with others who did the same test.

Thing is, not many have done Big Y-700 because of the cost, so only 3 people ( including myself) show in the entire population that match my confirmed haplogroup. Lot's of other's likely do but are stuck at R-M269 or R-S660.

Since you point to Finland, well then that may answer your question the eyes.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Z19 is the generic, I'd have to check my notes on the exact subclade (from FTDNA) but it's about 7-8 alpha-numeric characters...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Another one for good measure. From left, my dad, my mom and our neighbors (my mom's BFF) who were both born in Puglia near Bari and extremely swarthy-olive-skinned. Yet who is darkest here..? Yup, my dad. You just can't make this stuff up... And, BTW, he worked in a office and only got outdoors when he had the chance. The man in the center (Barese) worked his land and was outdoors every day (except when it rained, which was infrequent)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I knew a Danish family who had skin tone like that.

Pigmented but not really olive color.

As far as the Barese man goes, skin tone often lightens with age.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:40 I knew a Danish family who had skin tone like that.

Pigmented but not really olive color.

As far as the Barese man goes, skin tone often lightens with age.
I knew him well into his 80's. He was dark, as was she. The pic is slightly washed out, but my father could keep up with the best of them... :wink:
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Was your father really olive skinned or just darker skinned?

Under light, true olive skin tends to make the veins on your inside wrist look more greenish than bluish. Fair skin results in the opposite effect. Medium skin falls in between.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Those Danes were darker than medium but didn't have what I would call olive skin.

Some Finns look East Asian.
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

MarcuccioV wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:32 Another one for good measure. From left, my dad, my mom and our neighbors (my mom's BFF) who were both born in Puglia near Bari and extremely swarthy-olive-skinned. Yet who is darkest here..? Yup, my dad. You just can't make this stuff up... And, BTW, he worked in a office and only got outdoors when he had the chance. The man in the center (Barese) worked his land and was outdoors every day (except when it rained, which was infrequent)...
What are you trying to figure out here with respect to skin tone??
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I think his eyes do take after a "Finnish" look (We have a R-Z19 paternal haplogroup which originated in Finland millennium's ago). I definitely look olive. Hard to say with him, it depended on lighting, etc but at times DID look olive. He has been gone now almost 40 years. He passed at the same age that I am now (58)...
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

It seems to reinforce the strange instance of Italian on his side of 2 and possibly 3 of the chromosomes I received from him. C-15 is totally Italian from BOTH parents. THAT is what I'm trying to decipher... The skin tone is just another piece of that puzzle.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

You also could look at the veins in the back of the hand.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Your olive skin could be from your mother. He might have been more brown than olive.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

There is no question my olive comes from her. I'm trying to figure out where his came from, as it doesn't seem to correlate to the ancestors in his tree. 3 and possibly 4 of the 5 brothers were darker-skinned with dark brown eyes.

I keep harking back to the mysterious Italian/Southern European on paternal chromosomes 2 and 15, and possibly 22. Where did that come from..? I cant find it, and it's driving me crazy. I'm sure it's where the skin tone stems from...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Do they report person matches for specific chromosomes?

Since olive skin occurs often in Scandinavians it's the likely source, perhaps from past contact with southern Europeans or, more likely, with East Asians - assuming it's really olive tone.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

So here is the chromosome paint report I'm talking about. It assigns ethnicity to each pair of your 22 chromosomes and the X (maternal) chromosome (it does not do the Y for some reason).

Since one of each pair is inherited from your father & one from your mother, in a case like mine, it is easy to tell whose is whose. In my case, the darker blue is the "Italianish", purple is Anatolian, and lighter blue British/Irish. So one of each pair (as well as the maternal X chromosome) are 100% Italian with exception of the slight bit of Anatolian (this is at 50% confidence), which indicates my mother (the positioning of each pair is random).

So note the orange arrows. The lighter arrows indicate where Italian appears on my father's chromosome (at 90% confidence, which is more conserative), C22 changes to "broadly European", but C2 only shows slightly less "Italian".

But check out the heavier arrow (C15). It is FULLY ITALIAN for BOTH maternal & paternal chromosomes. Maybe this will give a better idea of what I'm talking about.

BTW, when the confidence level is set to 90%, this chromosome (C15) STILL shows fully Italian for BOTH parents...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark